Help Trading My Mesa For Something Smaller
Marc_Maiden
Mar 19 2009, 12:48 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys, right now im using a 100 watt all tube mesa boogie Mark I reissue and that ting spits out tone! i like the sound, i think thoough its a little to vintage for me...however my main concern is that it is too loud...cant play past 1 lol

anyways so im thinkin about selling/trading it to get a smaller wattage tube amp, maybe something a little cheaper and buy pedals to use it with

im hoping to get a 500-700 value for it, what do you guys reccomend that is used or new (doesnt matter which)? i want it to be AT MOST 40 watts...50 is a maybe but i really wanna be able to get that cranked up tone for recording...

thanks for your help guys!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 19 2009, 01:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
50 watt is almost as loud as 100 watt! (about 85% as loud)
If you could play the mesa on one, you can play a 50watter at 1.5 or maybe two but never at ten! If you want to crank an amp, then go for 15 watts or even just 5...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 19 2009, 01:05 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
50w is still 80% the volume of 100w so no huge gain there. Except you can get the powertubes to work a bit harder.
Get a powersoak or something. Trading the Mesa in sounds like a mistake you will regret,maybe not tomorrow but surely 5-10 years from now. I can almost guarantee it! (oh, just notices it's a reissue, but still)

Are you talking about home recording? Max 5 watts I'd say. Or a cool preamp with direct out. The Blackstar HT5 got a very wide range of tones btw.

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Mar 19 2009, 01:08 AM
Here's a few suggestions:

Krank Rev Jr. Pro
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...Head?sku=500126

Vox Classic Plus
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...Head?sku=481027

Peavey Classic 30 (GREAT pedal amp)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...Amp-?sku=481019

A used Peavey 5150 combo

but maybe you could save up a little bit to broaden your horizons a bit? Have you considered by an attenuator? Trading a Mesa isn't something I would never do (if I ever got one).

This post has been edited by Fullmetal_Tmd: Mar 19 2009, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 19 2009, 01:38 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
How about a Mesa express 5:50?

I read some members here use it at home and it seems to sound really good. It plays at 5 or 50 Watts.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Mar 19 2009, 01:41 AM
Orange Dual Terror is coming soon. Julyish
http://www.humbuckermusic.com/ordutehe.html

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 19 2009, 02:29 AM
Instructor
40W amp would be like you put volume on your Mesa on 6-7 instead of 10, so I don't think that could be cranked. If you want to home record guitar amp and mic it, 5W is optimal, and even that can be annoyingly loud when cranked. MickeM suggested Blackheart, so I will agree there and vote for that as well. Little Giant head is cool and cheap, and I can only suggest that you get a nice HQ 2x12 cab with that, and possibly some good pedals.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 19 2009, 02:56 AM
Instructor
What about a Mesa single rectifier? Its sound is more modern and you have less power (50 w).
However I think that you could also modify your Mesa to convert it in a 50 watts. I have a 100 watt with a switch that converts it to a 50 watts amp. This switch just disconect two tubes.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 19 2009, 04:40 AM
i like the blackheart idea...ill..look into it thanks guys

i got an offer already for a fender pro jr and a electro harmonix bigmuff

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 19 2009, 06:02 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
If I remember my old friends Mark I, that one didn't have a gain control on it. It was a 100 watt combo w/one 12.
That thing was blisteringly loud and to get any overdrive out of it, he had to punish the band in our small practice room.

If your Mesa is similar, with no gain control, then I can see why you're looking for something smaller/lower power. Most amps nowadays however do have the gain knob on them, though I'm not a huge expert in this area. You can probably find something in a combo that you can play quieter with more gain to get a more modern sound.

I had a Mark II which did include a gain circuit/knob. It was an 82. Even with the gain knob, the drive channel was kind of quirky in that you had to set the master volume to 2 before it would almost make any sound at all, then as soon as you got to above 2, it screamed ...too loud for a dorm room anyway. biggrin.gif

I'd still get that amp again though cause of its sweet sound, but I'd get a power soak or something for situations where I didn't want to wake the neighbors. Good luck in your search. Maybe a power soak on your Mark I might do the trick. That's a little harder on the tubes, but a less expensive option than getting a new amp.

This post has been edited by JamesT: Mar 19 2009, 06:04 AM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Mar 19 2009, 06:25 AM
I don't know how small you want to go but Vox is putting out something called a Night Train. Its the new trend towards Lunch Box sized ass kickers! Probably great for recording practice and small gigs... Might be worth a look? cool.gif

This post has been edited by Hammerhead: Mar 19 2009, 06:27 AM

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 19 2009, 06:30 AM
Yes, the Electro-harmonix big muff is also my next purchase.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 19 2009, 09:20 AM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 19 2009, 04:40 AM) *
i like the blackheart idea...ill..look into it thanks guys

i got an offer already for a fender pro jr and a electro harmonix bigmuff

I actuallty recommended a Blackstar wink.gif but definitly a Blackheart if blues is your thing.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 19 2009, 03:39 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 19 2009, 01:20 AM) *
I actuallty recommended a Blackstar wink.gif but definitly a Blackheart if blues is your thing.

blackstar looks awesome but isnt available tilll mid april!!!!! sad.gif

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Mar 19 2009, 07:56 PM
So far i got the following offers:

2 peavy classic 30's (both for my one amp)

65 fender delux reissue 22 watter with reverb

what do you guys think

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 19 2009, 08:08 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 19 2009, 03:39 PM) *
blackstar looks awesome but isnt available tilll mid april!!!!! sad.gif

Don't rush your decision, better wait a bit and get what you really want than rush and end up getting something that's not what you really need smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 19 2009, 09:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 19 2009, 09:20 AM) *

I red it Blackheart sorry about that! smile.gif Little Giant is not so great for metal - it can do it with a pedal, but Blackstar (HT5) would be more appropriate here! Thanks MIcke! smile.gif

QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 19 2009, 07:56 PM) *
So far i got the following offers:

65 fender delux reissue 22 watter with reverb

what do you guys think

The second choice is better, but continue to search for more options.. fender is good on cleans, but I have a feeling you can find something more modern sounding that handles hi gain better.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 19 2009, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 19 2009, 09:57 PM) *
I red it Blackheart sorry about that! smile.gif Little Giant is not so great for metal - it can do it with a pedal, but Blackstar (HT5) would be more appropriate here! Thanks MIcke! smile.gif

No problem, I confuse the two myself all the time. biggrin.gif
An option could be to buy the HT5 pedal and a Blackheart 5w.

QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 19 2009, 07:56 PM) *

I've got one, it does have great cleans and British overdrive. It's ok on low volumes and wonderful cranked. Blues and rock amp, can manage up to MrCrowley kind of hard rock.
It also seem to keep a good second hand value. Fender should too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:27 PM