New Jackson Mj Series
Mertay
Feb 25 2021, 04:06 PM
GMC:er
https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/series/...series?sort=new

Don't really know how popular these were in USA, but in EU and Asia had a strong demand back in the day. The variety right from the start is really good, they even selected PU's from 3 different brands.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 25 2021, 05:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Very good guitars, they have all the modern features that the classic strats do not have.

As we said in another post, when Fender decides to put modern features on its models, the price doubles up laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 25 2021, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Feb 25 2021, 04:27 PM) *
Very good guitars, they have all the modern features that the classic strats do not have.

As we said in another post, when Fender decides to put modern features on its models, the price doubles up laugh.gif

cool.gif

Back in the 90's the higher end ones were closely priced to the USA models, in fact there were friends who went to buy a USA one but after trying some in the store ended up buying a Japanese model.

Today a non-artist USA sl-1 is 4000 dollars https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL1...loist-sl1-black I played 1-2 of those and although the quality is undeniable, such price for a flat-black metal guitar is out of my logic laugh.gif and as you guys know, tax can make them 2-3x more expensive depending the country one lives in. These also aren't cheap either (2000 to 2500), but they are in the range of ibanez prestige competing against them just like the old days.

Covid or not I'm definitely going to try them smile.gif what I liked most about the old ones were the necks, think super flat ibanez on the lowest fret before the heel but as you move up to the 1.st fret it gets rounder which had a great feel to them.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 25 2021, 06:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 26 2021, 03:20 AM
Fender owns Jackson (almost 20 years now along with Charvel, Gretsch, etc).
You want a "modern spec'd" Fender - buy the Jackson. FMIC still makes the money.
Pretty savvy if you ask me.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2021, 04:10 AM
I was a bit sticker shocked by that price tag! $2700? Egad. I guess it must not be considered to crazy or they wouldn't be trying to charge that much. The "MISHA" strat is almost a contradiction in terms. I remember seeing him with one on instagram and I thought it was a joke of some kind, but nope. Mr. 7 string Chug now has a sig strat smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 25 2021, 10:20 PM) *
You want a "modern spec'd" Fender - buy the Jackson. FMIC still makes the money.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 26 2021, 09:43 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 26 2021, 03:10 AM) *

I checked e-bay and did find some old MJ jackson's under 500, since you want to try guitars. Only downside is these old guitars are almost always found beat-up and need some luthier love.

By the way my luthier loves these guitars too. He recently bought a good one and modded it for fun (used super-low output PAF's with some gold hardware);

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 26 2021, 10:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 26 2021, 02:20 AM) *

Yeah I know Jackson is owned by Fender, and that it is used to create modern spec'd Fenders but as I said, when they modern spec anything, the price is sky-rockets!

Similar types of guitars/specs exist in other companies with way lower prices.

With Fender companies, we pay a high price just for the name-tag.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 26 2021, 04:06 PM
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Feb 26 2021, 02:53 AM) *
Similar types of guitars/specs exist in other companies with way lower prices.

With Fender companies, we pay a high price just for the name-tag.

To some degree, absolutely.
Those Jacksons are USA made so besides the name you're also paying for the labor.
Any US and Japan made axe is gonna cost you.
The upside of that is it's re-sale value.

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 26 2021, 07:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Exactly!
You have a reassurance that it will be sold eventually if you don't want it anymore.
With other brands you either end up keeping them or selling them for way lower price than what you paid.
Even if any upgrades you made on them cost more than the original price of the guitar biggrin.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 26 2021, 03:06 PM) *
The upside of that is it's re-sale value.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2021, 11:44 PM
I actually ended up looking at some jacksons smile.gif Found a few kellys.
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 26 2021, 04:43 AM) *
I checked e-bay and did find some old MJ jackson's under 500, since you want to try guitars. Only downside is these old guitars are almost always found beat-up and need some luthier love.

By the way my luthier loves these guitars too. He recently bought a good one and modded it for fun (used super-low output PAF's with some gold hardware);

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 26 2021, 11:56 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 26 2021, 10:44 PM) *
I actually ended up looking at some jacksons smile.gif Found a few kellys.

Cool! I think you said once you owned a Kelly in past?

Japanese Jackson's seem rare in the USA as I was suspecting, I could only find one on ebay in your price range.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2021, 01:06 AM
Yeah I"ve owned a "Performer" Kelly a while back. It was a a beautiful axe. Didn't hold on to it for very long though. Ended up getting a good offer on it. I did like it though smile.gif The Performer series were great value for money. I'd love one of the Brandon Ellis Green Crackle Kellys but those are a bit pricey. Maybe once they hit the used market at some point. I don't know why the prices seem to have spiked lately in the US
Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 26 2021, 06:56 PM) *
Cool! I think you said once you owned a Kelly in past?

Japanese Jackson's seem rare in the USA as I was suspecting, I could only find one on ebay in your price range.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:43 PM