Going Pedalshopping And Need Some Help, Delay and boost
mhskeide
Mar 17 2010, 11:19 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi guys

Some of you might remember a topic I wrote some weeks ago, about design ideas for a pedal board. I think I have tossed away that idea, and I will most likely buy a complete pedalboard with bag, since that will save me some time and money for a dedicated power supply (at least if I buy the warwick-board that Zakk recommanded)

I have borrowed an Ibanez TS808 from a friend, and must honestly say I`m in love with it. When I put the overdrive on both my amp and pedal to 11, it`s all the gain I would need, and if I ever need more, I`ll probably will buy another amp or a HT-distortion pedal.
My other alternative was the Exotic booster, but with only a level knob I don`t find it too versatile. Unfortunately I have not tried it, so I might be mistaken.
So unless you have some good suggestions, the quest for boost is most likely solved already. On the other hand, I`m quite unsure about delay!

I prefer an analog delay, since I love the dark delay tones and the warm feeling. That said, I won`t be a stranger if somebody shows me a sweet digital delay neither!

So far, I`ve been looking at the Malekko Ekko 616, MXR Carbon Copy and Boss Giga Delay DD20.

At PGS they all sound good, of course smile.gif ... but after reading some reviews I have the following impressions:
The malekko ekko 616 didn`t sound as good as the price says
the carbon copy sounds nice, but some complains about reliability
The DD20 seems VERY versatile and probably a lot of fun to play with, but maybe it`s a bit too much?

Thanks for all useful input smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 17 2010, 11:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'm sure those delays are great, I just wanted to say I use a Vox Time Machine and I love it. It's digital but has two settings, one is vintage setting which adds a slight touch of modulation, sounds really good to my ears. Try it if you can, you never know smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 17 2010, 11:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
I really like my Carbon Copy - MXR stuff is always reliable and great sounding! You also wanna check the Boost D.L.A by Tech21 which is an analogue Delay with a built in clean boost!

As for the tubescreamer, I would get a Maxon OD808. It's a tubescreamer clone that is built like the original Ts808 by Ibanez. It sounds amazing and it is cheaper than an Ibanez Tubescreamer (it also sounds better than todays IBZ808s imho)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 18 2010, 12:22 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I know its a matter of taste but from those mentioned Boss Giga Delay DD20 sounds like a best option to me. I heard that delay in action and its very very good and versatile. I really liked its tone and how it works...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 18 2010, 01:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 17 2010, 05:49 PM) *
I really like my Carbon Copy - MXR stuff is always reliable and great sounding! You also wanna check the Boost D.L.A by Tech21 which is an analogue Delay with a built in clean boost!

As for the tubescreamer, I would get a Maxon OD808. It's a tubescreamer clone that is built like the original Ts808 by Ibanez. It sounds amazing and it is cheaper than an Ibanez Tubescreamer (it also sounds better than todays IBZ808s imho)

+1, it's weird man, we have the same taste for things biggrin.gif

The carbon copy is guarantee of good sound, and the maxon's "screamers" are way better these days, but if you can get your hands around a used "vintage" screamer don't think it twice wink.gif.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 18 2010, 01:37 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Mar 18 2010, 01:36 AM) *
+1, it's weird man, we have the same taste for things biggrin.gif

We like what's good cool.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
OzRob
Mar 18 2010, 02:09 AM
GMC:er
IMHO, I would recommend TC Electronics Nova Delay (ND-1) above the Boss DD-20, and if you want reaallllly good delay, the Eventide Timefactor (it's twice the price of those two though).

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 18 2010, 02:44 AM
Instructor
eventide is always always good, but, it cost smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Mar 18 2010, 09:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
If the Boss DD-20 is too much then you can give a try to the Boss DD-7 or even DD-3. Think it has all the functionalities except the digital display and probably the memory to save your presets but you don't care about that if you compare the DD-20 to the MXR.

The DD-3 seems cool as well but you don't have the reverse delay and I think the analog delay but I might be wrong on the last one.

I've just bought a DD-7 second hand and will give you my feedback as soon as I receive it. smile.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Mar 18 2010, 04:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
For delay you can also check out the Line 6 DL4.. It's expensive, but has alot of functions :]

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 18 2010, 04:55 PM
Learning Roadie
IMO the best digital delay for price/features ratio is the electro harmonix stereo memory man with hazarai. Incredible pedal, build very solidly, many features. I suppose for some people it might have TOO many features, but it is not really that complicated of a pedal. So that is my recommendation unless you just want simple delay and nothing else. Especially cool is the loop function, reverse delays, and delay with mod settings.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 27 2010, 12:08 AM
Instructor
Eventide hardware is used by top guys in the biz, costly though

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
fkalich
Mar 27 2010, 12:37 AM
I have one. I have two overriding reasons for my preference.

1) You can hook up an expression pedal. I know of no other stomp boxes that allow this.
2) My other 5 pedals are all Boss, and I don't want them fighting with a red headed stepchild.

QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Mar 18 2010, 03:07 AM) *
I've just bought a DD-7 second hand and will give you my feedback as soon as I receive it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2010, 01:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Mar 17 2010, 11:19 PM) *
Hi guys

Some of you might remember a topic I wrote some weeks ago, about design ideas for a pedal board. I think I have tossed away that idea, and I will most likely buy a complete pedalboard with bag, since that will save me some time and money for a dedicated power supply (at least if I buy the warwick-board that Zakk recommanded)

I have borrowed an Ibanez TS808 from a friend, and must honestly say I`m in love with it. When I put the overdrive on both my amp and pedal to 11, it`s all the gain I would need, and if I ever need more, I`ll probably will buy another amp or a HT-distortion pedal.
My other alternative was the Exotic booster, but with only a level knob I don`t find it too versatile. Unfortunately I have not tried it, so I might be mistaken.
So unless you have some good suggestions, the quest for boost is most likely solved already. On the other hand, I`m quite unsure about delay!

I prefer an analog delay, since I love the dark delay tones and the warm feeling. That said, I won`t be a stranger if somebody shows me a sweet digital delay neither!

So far, I`ve been looking at the Malekko Ekko 616, MXR Carbon Copy and Boss Giga Delay DD20.

At PGS they all sound good, of course smile.gif ... but after reading some reviews I have the following impressions:
The malekko ekko 616 didn`t sound as good as the price says
the carbon copy sounds nice, but some complains about reliability
The DD20 seems VERY versatile and probably a lot of fun to play with, but maybe it`s a bit too much?

Thanks for all useful input smile.gif

Your conclusions are 100% correct.

- Malekko Echo 616 didn't go well despite it's lowered price compared to the real Echo pedals. The sound was lacking, and many pedals had problems straight from the factory. However, the lower price made first series sold out, so it was a good pricing strategy what made it popular.
- Carbon Copy is a nice analog delay. Modulation is not that great, but it works like an analog echo. It's a bit dark, and plastic knobs all feel weak. Button is also weak point, and MXR is known for having low quality buttons on the stomps.
- DD20 is a great pedal, but it's digital and offers more features than needed. It covers all the delay area you need, and some more, since you can make it sound like a light chorus, and use it as a loop pedal with infinite overdubs on the timeframe of 23 seconds. It's digital and eats the tone a bit tho.

If you need just a simple good sounding delay that will serve you for home practicing, cut through on gigs precisely, and don't care that much about effect quality, as long as it sounds good and can emulate the analog, I suggest DD7. It's got all the most important features of DD20 in a compact box.

If you care for boutique delay tone, I can really recommend Malekko Echo 300 or 600 Bright, they are awesome. If you need digital, but with a vintage vibe, Empress Superdelay Vintage Modified is considered by many boutique experts as one of the best ones out there.

QUOTE (JVM @ Mar 18 2010, 04:55 PM) *
IMO the best digital delay for price/features ratio is the electro harmonix stereo memory man with hazarai. Incredible pedal, build very solidly, many features. I suppose for some people it might have TOO many features, but it is not really that complicated of a pedal. So that is my recommendation unless you just want simple delay and nothing else. Especially cool is the loop function, reverse delays, and delay with mod settings.

I must say I bought this pedal, used it for couple of months and sold it, because the sound quality was terrible. It made the signal mushy due to poor converters. Effects is great tho..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 27 2010, 01:58 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 26 2010, 07:38 PM) *
I must say I bought this pedal, used it for couple of months and sold it, because the sound quality was terrible. It made the signal mushy due to poor converters. Effects is great tho..

Really? I had a dd-3 before I bought this one, and to me this sounds better. I admit I probably don't have the ear for fine details of tone, but I like the features a lot. Were you running it in front of the amp or through the loop?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Mar 27 2010, 04:10 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 26 2010, 07:38 PM) *
much about effect quality, as long as it sounds good and can emulate the analog, I suggest DD7. It's got all the most important features of DD20 in a compact box.

It has a looper like the DD20, 40 seconds I think. Not really all that usable, but what it did was convince me that loopers are really nice. I really don't like effects much, just various ways of drive and boost, a super octave (which is neat, you can put in a little lower octave and 2nd lower octave. All that is tonal, not swirly stuff, just for tone. And Delay. As Einstein said, keep it simple as possible but no simpler. One cannot live without delay. But Loopers are neat, you can do a lot with one of those. Just that and a good tube amp, I am very satisfied, all I want. If feel that the simpler you can make your life, the easier it is to keep your head on straight, or at least straighter than it might have been otherwise.

The expression pedal to the DD7 is a nice feature. You have to buy an expression pedal, but then you can increase or decrease your delay as you play different phrases in a song. I have one of the older bigger metal Boss expression pedals that was replaced by the Roland EV-5. You have to get them on Ebay because they don't make them anymore, and nobody sells them real cheap, but it is really easier to control things with that larger metal pedal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:59 PM