2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Drop C Tuning
Bossie
Jan 31 2013, 01:35 AM
GMC:er
What about the nut of your guitar with this kind of big strings??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 31 2013, 09:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bossie @ Jan 31 2013, 12:35 AM) *
What about the nut of your guitar with this kind of big strings??

You can shave it off a little or place a custom nut - I have bone nuts made for both my PRS guitars, so that heavy gauge strings may fit without any problem.

Connor, even though the Elixir strings are more expensive than other brands, in the long run they are actually cheaper, as you don't have to replace them as often as a normal un-coated set.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ninjastorm
Jan 31 2013, 06:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 29 2013, 02:52 PM) *
Hmmm, looks like it is a bit too big - so far, I am finding the 12-52 set from Elixir as being way to rigid for soloing even in drop C or D standard... i think that an 11-56 set would be the winner or even an 11-54 smile.gif

Ok, than I'm going to try the "Dunlop Heavy Core Heaviest" set with gauges 012 - 016 - 020 - 032 - 042 - 054. If the strings 012 to 020 are too stiff than I'm going to replace it with 011 - 014 - 018 from the other set. I think the gap between 018 and 032 is ok, because I have seen this on other sets too.

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Feb 1 2013, 03:00 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 31 2013, 08:13 AM) *
You can shave it off a little or place a custom nut - I have bone nuts made for both my PRS guitars, so that heavy gauge strings may fit without any problem.

Connor, even though the Elixir strings are more expensive than other brands, in the long run they are actually cheaper, as you don't have to replace them as often as a normal un-coated set.

I used Elixirs for a long time and enjoyed them a lot! The only reason I switched is because my D'Addario's don't seem to lose brightness etc. like the Elixirs, but they also come in more options and I find that they feel the same from the time you first put them on to the time you replace them. There's not that weird first week or so where they are too slippery, which happens with most brands. Elixirs are fantastic though, I still use them on my acoustic!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 1 2013, 09:58 AM
Instructor
Out of what I have noticed, other brands have also released coated strings, so I'd be curious to try them - those Ernie Ball Cobalt strings are nice, I heard..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:45 AM