Compression And Noise Gate
gnarkill
Oct 14 2015, 09:46 PM
GMC:er
Starting to accumulate gear, and a few things that popped out right away. A Noise Gate pedal and a Compression pedal. I would like to know your thoughts on getting items like these? What will they do for me. Granted, I have done a decent amount of research and know a bit. But I want to hear from the pros! Haha

Noise Gate

1. I notice I have a decent amount of loud white noise. I was told this would help reduce or eliminate it, correct?

2. I always hear my fingers slide up and down the strings and hear that awful sound, will the noise gate eliminate that too?

3. Any particular noise gate that works better than the others? I mean specifically... much of a difference between Boss and Bheringer?

4. Any other advantages to getting the noise gate? How highly would you recommend it?

Compression

5. I know they said compression helps with regulating the sounds and tones, taking away a bit of the attack. Is this correct?

6. Any particular compression that works better than the others?

7. Any other advantages to getting the compression How highly would you recommend it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Mertay
Oct 14 2015, 10:50 PM
Noise Gate; Never used a pedal, always on software but haven't been using one for a long time

1-Yeah but focusing on the noise first would make things easier either you buy it or not. We are talking home right not stage? like, at home changing sitting position can help. I heard dim lights and some light sources can affect sound, sitting too close to the screen or computer definitly affects it.

After these simple solutions are tested, then a noisegate works more comfortable if you still feel the need of it.

2- Probably but you'll still have to try controlling that. Like; if you setup the noisegate to be too sensitive then those slides might bleed, in extreme settings you'll have to keep banging the strings which isn't good too.

3-ISP decimator as I heard is the king of those pedals, but recently Todd mentioned he sold an MXR after he got his Hotone. We all know he likes insane distortion biggrin.gif thats why you should definitly ask his advice and maybe give some sound examples for detailed info on how you might use it.

4-I also like strong distortion, pushing both my overdrive and distortion near limits and don't use a noisegate. In a situation like a solo over backing track, small amonths of noise isn't such a big deal. In studio this applys again as we edit the silent parts of pretty much everything so for me stage useage is probably why I would need one.

Compressor

1- Depends on setting, on some settings it can make the guitar sound very percussive. Strat guys making funky chord stuff really likes using compressors for such usage.

2- Can't give much advice on brand/model. Though I do know the boss one is prefered for that taking away the attack add sustain thing, but also I keep seeing used ones very often. A friend of mine who gigs regularly likes his MXR, can't remember the model but probably the expensive one.

3-Long ago I used compressors for distortion boosting. Setting attack long and release short; help impact on begining of solos. Since strong distortion is so compressed by nature, it helped giving the notes some musical attack.

To be honest thinking as both guitar and studio logic, I never saw compressors as sustain machines even though some are marketed that way. Sometimes its there to sit in the bands sound better and sometimes as mentioned percussive bu its always about enhancing musicality in a not so tone shaping way but to control stuff you fingers can't.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2015, 11:55 PM
Some great info by MERTAY!! In very simple language, the noise gate is used so that when you are not playing, you don't have to hear a bunch of noise/hum/etc. Eg. When you stop playing, the noise gate stops everything and your channel goes dead quiet.

Compression is used, typically to "decrease dynamic range of signal" eg. When you hit your strings really hard once, then not so hard the next time, the compressor can make it sound like they were very similar strikes. There are wads of other uses for compression and it's close relative, expansion, but that's the main gist of it. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:53 PM