Recording On A Mac
JesseJ
Jul 8 2012, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone smile.gif I am trying to figure out how to video record myself playing for the Rec program but I cant figure out how to record a video of me playing over a backing track. Does any hear also have a mac and use imovie 08 ? If so i would appreciate any advice you have, and also what do use guys us for software and stuff ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 8 2012, 10:01 PM
Experienced Rock Star
While I'm recording video into iMovie, I also record the audio into Cubase (that's the DAW I use, but anything will do). Then I export the audio from Cubase and import it into the iMovie project, then align it to the video. Aligning the audio with the video is the tricky part, but there are various techniques to help with that: hit the strings at the beginning of the recording so you have a reference point, or record audio from the room into iMovie so you can align the imported audio with the recorded audio, etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jul 8 2012, 10:35 PM
Experienced Rock Star
By the way, for anyone using Final Cut instead of iMovie, there's a plugin called PluralEyes that does the audio alignment automatically.

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 8 2012, 10:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I never knew that you could record straight into iMovie.

I'd go with that.

However, I've gone a weird route and recorded myself playing on my phone and added that to iMovie and then recorded the track in Garageband and then I aligned it.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2012, 12:20 AM
I"m a Mac guy myself smile.gif You can always do what most folks do. Record the video and audio separately then marry them up in iMovie. Just clap your hands toward camera and sync the clap. Bingo! smile.gif

If you want to record audio/video all at once, you can just use the QUICKTIME utitlity.

File/New Movie Recording

set video source to your camera, audio source to your audio interface and BINGO! One quicktime with both video and audio.

Then again, some folks just use whatever cheapy mic is on board the camera and turn up the Amp/stereo in the room. This produces semi craptastic audio but in a pinch......

Todd

QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 8 2012, 04:32 PM) *
Hi everyone smile.gif I am trying to figure out how to video record myself playing for the Rec program but I cant figure out how to record a video of me playing over a backing track. Does any hear also have a mac and use imovie 08 ? If so i would appreciate any advice you have, and also what do use guys us for software and stuff ?

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 9 2012, 03:02 PM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jul 8 2012, 09:01 PM) *
While I'm recording video into iMovie, I also record the audio into Cubase (that's the DAW I use, but anything will do). Then I export the audio from Cubase and import it into the iMovie project, then align it to the video. Aligning the audio with the video is the tricky part, but there are various techniques to help with that: hit the strings at the beginning of the recording so you have a reference point, or record audio from the room into iMovie so you can align the imported audio with the recorded audio, etc.

Do you find Cubase a good program ? Like what exactly is cubase all about ? Is it kinda like garageband ? Haha sorry I am bombing you with questions! But I really appreciate all your help smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 8 2012, 11:20 PM) *
I"m a Mac guy myself smile.gif You can always do what most folks do. Record the video and audio separately then marry them up in iMovie. Just clap your hands toward camera and sync the clap. Bingo! smile.gif

If you want to record audio/video all at once, you can just use the QUICKTIME utitlity.

File/New Movie Recording

set video source to your camera, audio source to your audio interface and BINGO! One quicktime with both video and audio.

Then again, some folks just use whatever cheapy mic is on board the camera and turn up the Amp/stereo in the room. This produces semi craptastic audio but in a pinch......

Todd

Hey Todd I am glad you are in this topic you really seem to know your stuff !! I have a few additional questions for you.

1 How important is it to buy A mic and a recording interface like the fast track pro ? Because it would be close to $300 USD for a shure SM57, recording interface, and a mic stand. If it really is very important I am still a teenager living at home so I can afford to buy it smile.gif But I like to be frugal with my money.

And what do you use for recording ? I would greatly appreciate it if you told me your recording rig ! Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rocko
Jul 9 2012, 09:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
[quote name='JesseJ' date='Jul 9 2012, 04:02 PM' post='594373']
Do you find Cubase a good program ? Like what exactly is cubase all about ? Is it kinda like garageband ? Haha sorry I am bombing you with questions! But I really appreciate all your help smile.gif

Cubase is kind of like GarageBand, but I would say Cubase is like a more professional program. It combines a lot more features than GarageBand, but that naturaly also makes the program more complicated.

But, I use GarageBand myself and I can say it totally works for that purpose. In my opinion GarageBand got some "okay" guitar simulators. And if that isn't enaugh, you can extend it with Guitar Rig etc.

So - try it smile.gif

This post has been edited by rocko: Jul 9 2012, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 9 2012, 11:00 PM
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 9 2012, 03:02 PM) *
1 How important is it to buy A mic and a recording interface like the fast track pro ? Because it would be close to $300 USD for a shure SM57, recording interface, and a mic stand. If it really is very important I am still a teenager living at home so I can afford to buy it smile.gif But I like to be frugal with my money.

And what do you use for recording ? I would greatly appreciate it if you told me your recording rig ! Thanks smile.gif

In the past couple of years, amp/cab simulation has become ridiculous. If you're aiming to be frugal, i'd say record direct. Hell, you don't even need to buy amp plugins anymore. There are free ones that rival the big 'corporate' ones.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/

And for little recording projects (like REC), it'll do just fine.

Personally, I run Overloud TH2 amp head into RedWirez MixIR for cab simulation and for a DAW I use Logic Pro.

But again, there are free alternatives that are just fine, like Reaper. (http://www.reaper.fm/)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 9 2012, 11:32 PM
I'm a BIG fan of Amp modeling/emulation as well. But, at some point. You are going to need to get proficient with a microphone. Putting a Mic on a guitar amp/cab is a basic skill and one that takes practice! It's hard to wrong with an SM57! I'd say get one when you can. And you'll need some sort of interface at some point. Having the ability to record more than one mic at a time is pretty handy for putting two mics on a cab (say a 57 and a RAVEN or even a cheap condenser like the MXL) and mixing them together for better tone.

Also, you may want to record vocals, or a live room with a band in it. You'll notice you need more and more tracks the longer you mess with recording, especially live recording. But you gotta start somewhere smile.gif MY first interface had 2 inputs. My current one has 16. I"m using a TASCAM mixer/interface. Can record 8 tracks at once in LOGIC/GarageBand

Check out my thread on EQUIPPING THE HOME STUDIO!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

It's got a run down of the gear I use.

Attached Image

QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 9 2012, 10:02 AM) *

Hey Todd I am glad you are in this topic you really seem to know your stuff !! I have a few additional questions for you.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 9 2012, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 9 2012, 11:36 PM
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 9 2012, 10:00 PM) *
In the past couple of years, amp/cab simulation has become ridiculous. If you're aiming to be frugal, i'd say record direct. Hell, you don't even need to buy amp plugins anymore. There are free ones that rival the big 'corporate' ones.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/

And for little recording projects (like REC), it'll do just fine.

Personally, I run Overloud TH2 amp head into RedWirez MixIR for cab simulation and for a DAW I use Logic Pro.

But again, there are free alternatives that are just fine, like Reaper. (http://www.reaper.fm/)

That is a very good point ! Except I would like to get into recording looping so I kinda need to mic my amp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 10 2012, 12:06 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 9 2012, 10:32 PM) *
I'm a BIG fan of Amp modeling/emulation as well. But, at some point. You are going to need to get proficient with a microphone. Putting a Mic on a guitar amp/cab is a basic skill and one that takes practice! It's hard to wrong with an SM57! I'd say get one when you can. And you'll need some sort of interface at some point. Having the ability to record more than one mic at a time is pretty handy for putting two mics on a cab (say a 57 and a RAVEN or even a cheap condenser like the MXL) and mixing them together for better tone.

Also, you may want to record vocals, or a live room with a band in it. You'll notice you need more and more tracks the longer you mess with recording, especially live recording. But you gotta start somewhere smile.gif MY first interface had 2 inputs. My current one has 16. I"m using a TASCAM mixer/interface. Can record 8 tracks at once in LOGIC/GarageBand

Check out my thread on EQUIPPING THE HOME STUDIO!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35615

It's got a run down of the gear I use.

Attached Image

Wow that was a long thread ! But very helpfull. So after reading that I have a makeshift list of what I need. Here it is

1 Recording interface. You mentioned a few different ones so I am currently a little unsure about which one to get. I know I would like at least 4 inputs so I could record my voice,2 amps( I currently only have one but would like to get another sometime in the future ) and my other family members play violin and piano so I can see some future projects smile.gif So I am currently leaning towards the TASCAM one.

2 Microphone. I currently play a mesa head through a 2x12 cab so after eading your thread I am guessing you would recommend the Raven ? confirmation of this would be appreciated !

3 Software. from what I gather a bunch of people use Cubase. Would you recommend that or guitar rig ? My mac currently has garageband but it sounds like I will need to upgrade. Could this potentially be done later though ?

4 Monitors. Now this might sound like a stupid question but are monitors just for listening to your final mix ? Or what are they used for ?

5 Headphones. These are something I am going to need for when I eventually move away from home and live in an apartment or such so I would like a pair that could double as a pair I can practice guitar with.

I was thinking I would start with a Recording interface, Software and a mic. Then but some money away for University and later on get monitors and or headphones. Let me know what you think !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 10 2012, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 10 2012, 12:06 AM) *
3 Software. from what I gather a bunch of people use Cubase. Would you recommend that or guitar rig ? My mac currently has garageband but it sounds like I will need to upgrade. Could this potentially be done later though ?

Ahhh, Cubase is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), which will HOST a plugins like Guitar Rig. It's hard to explain but, think of a DAW like a football manager and the plugins as the players.

It handles the project as a whole.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 10 2012, 03:17 PM
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 10 2012, 02:11 PM) *
Ahhh, Cubase is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), which will HOST a plugins like Guitar Rig. It's hard to explain but, think of a DAW like a football manager and the plugins as the players.

It handles the project as a whole.

SO I would need guitar rig and cubase ! Or could I just you use Garageband as a "player" and cubase as a DAW ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 10 2012, 06:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 10 2012, 07:17 AM) *
SO I would need guitar rig and cubase ! Or could I just you use Garageband as a "player" and cubase as a DAW ?

Garage Band and Cubase are both Digital Audio Workstations. They both manage the recording of tracks into a project. Once you have a a lot of tracks recorded in your DAW, you can use your DAW to mix the tracks so they sound good when played together, and then export them to an MP3 or other audio format.

If you have Garage Band, there is no need to purchase Cubase (which is expensive by the way). You can just use Garageband. If you're on a budget and don't have Garageband, alot of folks on this board use REAPER which is another DAW that is cheap (even free?) and just as good as Cubase in many respects.

Each DAW allows the use of plugins. Plugins can be anything from Guitar Rig which is a guitar effects emulator, to EZ Drummer (or any other brand) which are MIDI drums, or synthesizers, etc...with plugins you can practically write a complete song from the ground up with all it's components (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, synthesizers, cowbell, you name it smile.gif

But as with all things - there is a learning curve that can be steep at times. So use this forum as a resource, along what you can find on youtube, etc.

Cheers,
Chris

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jul 10 2012, 06:50 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 10 2012, 09:46 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 10 2012, 05:48 PM) *
Garage Band and Cubase are both Digital Audio Workstations. They both manage the recording of tracks into a project. Once you have a a lot of tracks recorded in your DAW, you can use your DAW to mix the tracks so they sound good when played together, and then export them to an MP3 or other audio format.

If you have Garage Band, there is no need to purchase Cubase (which is expensive by the way). You can just use Garageband. If you're on a budget and don't have Garageband, alot of folks on this board use REAPER which is another DAW that is cheap (even free?) and just as good as Cubase in many respects.

Each DAW allows the use of plugins. Plugins can be anything from Guitar Rig which is a guitar effects emulator, to EZ Drummer (or any other brand) which are MIDI drums, or synthesizers, etc...with plugins you can practically write a complete song from the ground up with all it's components (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, synthesizers, cowbell, you name it smile.gif

But as with all things - there is a learning curve that can be steep at times. So use this forum as a resource, along what you can find on youtube, etc.

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks so much ! I found this post of yours to be very helpfull. I already do have garageband so I think I will just keep on using that smile.gif I'll have to look into pluggin's now !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2012, 03:34 PM
You've got it smile.gif Go for it! Post the results!

*Raven is a great little mic. Grab one smile.gif

*Tascam make good interfaces, so does M audio for the price. There are far better units, but for the price....

*Cubase limits you to working with other cubase users but if your buddies use cubase the that's fine smile.gif Here and most places REAPER is the most common as it's free. If you are a mac Guy I'd say LOGIC 9.

*Interface/phones great place to start smile.gif

PM me with link to more questions in case I miss the post!

Todd

QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 9 2012, 07:06 PM) *
Wow that was a long thread ! But very helpfull. So after reading that I have a makeshift list of what I need. Here it is

1 Recording interface. You mentioned a few different ones so I am currently a little unsure about which one to get. I know I would like at least 4 inputs so I could record my voice,2 amps( I currently only have one but would like to get another sometime in the future ) and my other family members play violin and piano so I can see some future projects smile.gif So I am currently leaning towards the TASCAM one.

2 Microphone. I currently play a mesa head through a 2x12 cab so after eading your thread I am guessing you would recommend the Raven ? confirmation of this would be appreciated !

4 Monitors. Now this might sound like a stupid question but are monitors just for listening to your final mix ? Or what are they used for ?

5 Headphones. These are something I am going to need for when I eventually move away from home and live in an apartment or such so I would like a pair that could double as a pair I can practice guitar with.

I was thinking I would start with a Recording interface, Software and a mic. Then but some money away for University and later on get monitors and or headphones. Let me know what you think !

QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 10 2012, 10:17 AM) *

Garage band is a great place to start. I'd say learn reaper as a "Second" DAW. Eventually you'll outgrow Garage Band and it's time for LOGIC!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:33 AM