Speedpicking Triumph!, (Well for me anyway)
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 12 2007, 02:54 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Hah ! After diligent practicing for at least 6 weeks on part I, I decided to have a look at part II and III of Kris' speedpicking 101 lesson - all of a sudden a light came on, in terms of how you put simple patterns together to make monster runs - all of a sudden it all made sense! I immediately sat down and put together a 24 note 16th triplet run into a song I am practicing on at the moment - it sounds awesome (to me at least), and while I won't be winning any prizes for speed any time soon (its 140bpm but I'm really playing half speed 8ths), all of a sudden I see the fretboard opening up in front of me ... a real defining moment, I thought I'd like to share - thanks Kris!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AIB234
Mar 12 2007, 03:12 AM
GMC:er
Congrats Andrew!

I hope I can be close to that in 6 weeks!

Were you doing this playing pentatonic scales after weeks of memorizing the patterns and switching box to box?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 12 2007, 03:23 AM
QUOTE (AIB234 @ Mar 11 2007, 10:12 PM) *
Congrats Andrew!

I hope I can be close to that in 6 weeks!

Were you doing this playing pentatonic scales after weeks of memorizing the patterns and switching box to box?

Thanks!

I've been playing for years, so I know my way around the fretboard pretty well already, but play mostly pentatonic legato - I've been specifically working on the speedpicking stuff for 6 weeks or so, since joining this site. The speedpicking breakthrough for me was taking simple patterns and stringing them together - it never occurred to me before. I was always trying to play scales up and down which is harder. I have been working a lot with major scales recently, so this was based on them, not pentatonic - triplets are a lot harder in pentatonic as well, as you only get 2 notes per string.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
AIB234
Mar 12 2007, 03:40 AM
That's cool.

I guess I'll just keep working on memorizing my patterns and the freedom to jam will come with time!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 12 2007, 08:21 AM
GMC Founder
That's really great to hear Andrew! biggrin.gif

I hope this will inspire others to have a go at that serie too!

Kristofer

--------------------

+Quote Post
browq
Mar 12 2007, 11:18 AM
Congrats!

I'm also practising these series a lot. And if you want some extra fun, Cause you seem to understand the licks in these series, Is take a look at pavels rock & rythem second lesson, there's an interesting pattern there that goes decending on the fretboard but the notes are acending....Sounds really cool

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 12 2007, 01:18 PM
QUOTE (browq @ Mar 12 2007, 06:18 AM) *
Congrats!

I'm also practising these series a lot. And if you want some extra fun, Cause you seem to understand the licks in these series, Is take a look at pavels rock & rythem second lesson, there's an interesting pattern there that goes decending on the fretboard but the notes are acending....Sounds really cool

Haven't seen that lesson yet - I'll check it out thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:09 PM