? On Moving Between The Boxes, Looking for a metal feel & dexterity minor pentatonic
Gerald
Nov 15 2007, 01:33 AM
GMC:er
Hello all!

Since joining GMC I've been practicing regular and working on the minor pentatonic scale. I am practicing this scale in the key of G. I have the first three boxes down fairly well, but am looking for some information on how to travel between these boxes to create lead licks and increase my dexterity in both the left and right hand.

Currently I start playing the root note of the first box, low E playing a G. I go through the box one note after another and end on the 6th fret on the high E, playing an A#. Then I will proceed to the next box on the high E on the 8th fret playing a C and move note to note ending on the low E playing an A# on the 6th fret. Lastly I start the third box on the low E playing a C moving down the box to end on the 10th fret playing a D on the high E.

Here is a link to help see what it is I'm talking about:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=5023

What I'd like to know and learn are two things:
1. Is what I described above a good method for practicing the scale, moving between the boxes all the while using alternate picking?

2. What is a good way to create leads using these three boxes, traveling both horizontally and vertically? Specifically I'd really like to have some simple tab or a link to a video lesson for a metal lead.

I'm looking for licks that I can play within the minor pentatonic to help kick off my own creations and add some variety to my practice. I'm using alternate picking while I practice currently and cannot seem to get the kind of leads I'm looking for; any links, advice or tab is appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jammer91
Nov 15 2007, 03:08 AM
QUOTE (Gerald @ Nov 15 2007, 04:33 AM) *
What I'd like to know and learn are two things:
1. Is what I described above a good method for practicing the scale, moving between the boxes all the while using alternate picking?

2. What is a good way to create leads using these three boxes, traveling both horizontally and vertically? Specifically I'd really like to have some simple tab or a link to a video lesson for a metal lead.

Ok Gerald,

I get your doubt and i had a similar problem too. The answer to your questions are there in 2 of Kris' 1-0-1 series.

The answer to you first and second question (mainly first) is in the pentationic 1-0-1 lessons.

The answer to your second question is in the speed picking lesson series (mainly third).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Gerald
Nov 15 2007, 03:24 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Nov 14 2007, 09:08 PM) *
Ok Gerald,

I get your doubt and i had a similar problem too. The answer to your questions are there in 2 of Kris' 1-0-1 series.

The answer to you first and second question (mainly first) is in the pentationic 1-0-1 lessons.

The answer to your second question is in the speed picking lesson series (mainly third).

Cool! I'll search those out give them a try. Currently I've been bouncing between theroy lessons and jamming with my roommate who plays keyboards. I'm starting to travel across the neck more since I'm learning the boxes for the minor pentatonic. I also viewed one of Kris's lessons on speed picking / alternate picking and am trying to disicpline myself in to using that when I practice my scales. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:28 PM