2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Do I Know If..., I'm a true bluesman?
Jesse
Jan 27 2009, 04:58 PM
GMC:er
I've always loved the blues, from Robert Johnson to Lightnin Hopkins, from SRV to Rory Gallagher and more. It's the thing I enjoy playing the most, and I got the feeling that I really CAN put soul into it. I'was just reading this interview with Taj Mahal, a blues guy. And he said, a lot of white blues players have the notes, but they lack the soul. And now the thing is, I want to know if I have the "soul". This is not anything you can develop, unless your wife leaves you, your house burns down, and one week later your dog gets run over, ok, then you got some serious stuff to play the blues and put soul into. How would I know if I have "soul" for the blues? I reckon Stevie had it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 27 2009, 05:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 27 2009, 04:58 PM) *
I've always loved the blues, from Robert Johnson to Lightnin Hopkins, from SRV to Rory Gallagher and more. It's the thing I enjoy playing the most, and I got the feeling that I really CAN put soul into it. I'was just reading this interview with Taj Mahal, a blues guy. And he said, a lot of white blues players have the notes, but they lack the soul. And now the thing is, I want to know if I have the "soul". This is not anything you can develop, unless your wife leaves you, your house burns down, and one week later your dog gets run over, ok, then you got some serious stuff to play the blues and put soul into. How would I know if I have "soul" for the blues? I reckon Stevie had it.

Just go to www.do i have soul?.com and do the test...

No.. I think sould comes with the years, and I think you can't really test it, you'll find out whether you can put soul in your music when it's time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 27 2009, 05:07 PM
... I might go to america in a few years. If I'd be in the BB King blues club, and he showed up, I'd ask him to jam! mean, it would be amazing to be acknoliged by a true blues man, like bb, buddy guy, any of those:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 27 2009, 05:13 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 27 2009, 04:07 PM) *
... I might go to america in a few years. If I'd be in the BB King blues club, and he showed up, I'd ask him to jam! mean, it would be amazing to be acknoliged by a true blues man, like bb, buddy guy, any of those:D

meet the devil at the crossroads, sign your soul over to him, have a cool solo duel with Steve Vai and then you`ll be a true bluesman biggrin.gif

heheh, seriously though, I`m not sure, I think real blues is something a little more thats inside of you, born through hardship etc and expressed through music smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 27 2009, 05:15 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 27 2009, 05:13 PM) *
meet the devil at the crossroads, sign your soul over to him, have a cool solo duel with Steve Vai and then you`ll be a true bluesman biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif yeah I think so

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 27 2009, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Jan 27 2009, 05:13 PM) *

heheh, seriously though, I`m not sure, I think real blues is something a little more thats inside of you, born through hardship etc and expressed through music smile.gif

Dude:D I just heard about the robert johnson legend.. creepy dude. They made an episode about that on "supernatural, you know, the 2 brothers that fight demons.." And the beginning was a blues man, black, in suit, and hat. I was like... dang, they stole Robert Johnson's person:P And it came out, it WAS him, well not him, but was supposed to be him wink.gif I'd beat vai anyday.. xD He can't beat my Texas Blues power. Yeah, I know:D That's annoying, because I want it ^^ It'll come, it'll show. And when I'm dead. I'm gonna have a big jam with Stevie, Jimi, BB "He'll be dead before me, hopefully, or something really messed up should happen to me" !:D

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Jan 27 2009, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Has your woman done left you?
You can't find no job?

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 27 2009, 05:25 PM
hmm im 15:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 28 2009, 03:08 PM
Don't worry about these things like "soul" and "feeling". They are just words. What people call "feeling" for example in guitar playing is mostly a question about technique, and do you really have to be very depressed to play blues? No, just play it and enjoy it, if you aren't good enough for some elitist, then it's their loss.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 28 2009, 03:28 PM
Instructor
Not sure if your life or childhood has to be ruined
to have a soul in your playing, just my 2 cents!
Not every bluesman plays the same way
and not every bluesman is involved into
other genres and styles except of blues,
which gives him a lot more time to work
on his approach to play blues only with the soul.
Don't get me wrong here tho,
soul is something we all have but it's matter
of how we express those feelings using instrument,
blues is just one of the many ways imo.
There's one problem regarding some players with fine technique
and more theory knowledge, they can easily ruin feel of the blues
cause blues isn't much about technique and theory knowledge
but more about putting one single note on the right spot,
at least that's the way I see the blues as it is.
Another important fact is experience,
with time you learn what is important for each style and genre,
then you add that experience to what you feel
and you have damn softy and nice playing,
no matter if it's blues,jazz, rock or whatever, my opinion.

So, I cannot really answer to your question Jesse,
it takes some time to develop your sense for
flavors of the blues.
But I do have an advice if I may,
don't just stick to the blues and explore as much as you can,
soul playing is everywhere and in every genre,
find the one that fits you the best,
you're still very young tho so take your time. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 28 2009, 03:46 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jan 28 2009, 06:08 AM) *
Don't worry about these things like "soul" and "feeling". They are just words. What people call "feeling" for example in guitar playing is mostly a question about technique, and do you really have to be very depressed to play blues? No, just play it and enjoy it, if you aren't good enough for some elitist, then it's their loss.

I agree completley, As long as you love what you are playing with all your heart, You can't have more soul than that. Just live it, love it, play it, and people will feel it. Not everyone will, But thats not the point. Not everyone feels the same "soul" or feeling from a certain musician or piece of music, or they might not feel it at all, It doesnt matter.

If you enjoy playing it, then it doesnt matter what even the most highly respected person from that music genre, whether it be classical, blues, or metal or whatever, cause if YOU love playing, then thats all there is to it.

Like Fsgdjv said, "if you aren't good enough for some elitist, then it's their loss", Not yours.

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 28 2009, 03:57 PM
Wow, at a first glance this question looks like a silly one, but I think we find out about our innerself with these kind of questions... Some great explanations here... I think I agree them. laugh.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 28 2009, 04:01 PM
I used to show soul on stage by smashing my guitar up every gig laugh.gif I haven't done it in a while. Anti solo followed by smashed instrument always went down well. It doesn't matter what you play. People aren't interested in somebody playing millions of notes. They want carnage.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 28 2009, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jan 28 2009, 02:28 PM) *
more about putting one single note on the right spot,

I spoke to Jimmy Page about this once (in 1987) and he said:-
"If you have 10-30 seconds in a Blues song to fill I'd rather hear one note by BB King in there than 100 by Van Halen!"
He wasn't insulting Eddie but merely pointing out that one note in context is far more effective that a whole load of notes that mean nothing!

As for being a 15 YO Bluesman?
Why the hell not? Just check out Aynsley Lister, Johnny Lang or Kenny Wayne Shepherd they all had the Blues at that age!!!
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 28 2009, 03:01 PM) *
I used to show soul on stage by smashing my guitar up every gig laugh.gif

Hey OC, I hope you aren't doing that with your current collection!!!!
ohmy.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 28 2009, 04:13 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 28 2009, 04:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jan 28 2009, 03:28 PM) *
soul is something we all have

I have to disagree with you in one point here smile.gif
After all those bad things that happend throughout history and still going on, I can't believe that every human has a soul rolleyes.gif But that's not the topic anyway smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 28 2009, 04:28 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 28 2009, 03:11 PM) *
Hey OC, I hope you aren't doing that with your current collection!!!!
ohmy.gif tongue.gif

No that was when I had a Fender Jaguar.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jan 28 2009, 04:28 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 28 2009, 04:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Jan 28 2009, 04:15 PM) *
I have to disagree with you in one point here smile.gif
After all those bad things that happend throughout history and still going on, I can't believe that every human has a soul rolleyes.gif But that's not the topic anyway smile.gif

Well yeah, war criminals are defo out of game,
I was talking about musicians with clear criminal files. laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Jesse
Jan 28 2009, 04:54 PM
Muris, your right, you all are ! And as for the broading your horizon. Muris, I'm playing Blues, Rock, Metal, Hard rock, jazz AND country! Some better than others, but I like it all!!! You can pretty much use things from any genre in another,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 28 2009, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jesse @ Jan 28 2009, 04:54 PM) *
I'm playing Blues, Rock, Metal, Hard rock, jazz AND country! Some better than others, but I like it all!!! You can pretty much use things from any genre in another,

Then you're on the right track imo. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 28 2009, 05:11 PM
Soul is an deeply integrated flow through your body. When you learn to channel that flow into your fingers (consistently) that's how you get soul in your playing. Just my two cents, and something I work every day on.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:36 PM