Tuning 1/4 Step Down
BM
Aug 11 2008, 03:06 AM
GMC:er
Hey I hope someone can give me a simple solution to this problem. I want to learn 2 songs and one solo right now but the songs are tunes 1/4 step down. I don't have a tuner (somehow mine dissapeared) so I am using a site to tune my guitar.

How can I tune it to 1/4 step down to play these songs?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Aug 11 2008, 03:10 AM
1/4? That just sounds like a bad idea. No offense meant, it could be great just unusual.

But I'm not sure of any sites you could use I think i heard of an online metronome and i wanna think there was a tuner but im not sure, try a google search if you havent already.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 11 2008, 03:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
Are you sure it's 1/4? That's not very common.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Aug 11 2008, 03:33 AM
Learning some Pantera Solo's are you?

Best thing to do is to go buy another tuner* for sure though.. you'll need one in the future.

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Aug 11 2008, 05:20 PM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
BM
Aug 11 2008, 05:00 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Aug 11 2008, 03:33 AM) *
Learning some Pantera Solo's are you?

Best thing to do is to go buy another metronome for sure though.. you'll need one in the future.

lol not Pantera. A little out of my league for solos. It's actually The Mechanix and My Last Words by Megadeth

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 11 2008, 08:04 AM
Instructor
HAHAHA yeah Pantera and Megadeth.... that confused the heck out of me when i started playing guitar, cause the tab books never mentioned that!!!

Makes it hard for everyone else to work out what you're doing cause it just sounds like bad intonation
rather than out of tune when playing along.

Without a tuner it's gonna be hard with a tuner try this:
Most tuners will either look like this or have a similar look

>>>>>>>>||<<<<<<<<
*1/4down *in tune
Or tune half way between in tune and a semi tone down if your tuner has a different look or setup.
Hope that helps, have fun rocking 1/4 step down!!

This post has been edited by Ian Bushell: Aug 11 2008, 08:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 11 2008, 08:21 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Just by listening to the song I suppose you could get at least one string tuned, one with the root note. Then take it from there and tune it like usual.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 11 2008, 09:15 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
This is a VERY unusual tuning... I doubt you will find a tuner for this kind of tuning, at least my tuners don't give me this option, I can tune cromatic, but this would be a half step down, not 1/4... I would also suggest that you use your ears to tune one string to that tuning, and then tune the rest of the strings without a tuner. Or, what you could try too, is to pitch the playback until it fits to a more normal tuning. Somehow this reminds me of the old vinyl and tape days, back then when the playback speed changed a bit the tuning ended up being very strange too smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2008, 03:25 PM
Instructor
I don't recommended mate. As Marcus mentioned - back in the days when tape recorders and vinyl were main means of recording people did tune down 1/4 step for the sake of speeding, but that time is long gone. I think you should play it in regular tuning, I guess it's not that hard.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 11 2008, 04:53 PM
If you really really really want to tune this way, you gonna probably to use a tuner and change the pitch reference from 440 Hertz to something else, and then tune normally...

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 11 2008, 04:58 PM
+1 to Gus

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 11 2008, 05:01 PM
Instructor
Worst case scenario,1/4 or even less...
I was listening to bunch of tunes not so long ago,
usually old songs,from 80s or som,I had to learn them all for a festival we did.
And it was like,every other song was in tune like 1/4,
up and down,all included. ohmy.gif
Luckily I was playing with my acoustic so it wasn't hard to tune
but with floating bridge it's a nightmare for sure . smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Aug 11 2008, 05:23 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
I would suggest listening to a section of the track where you can find a clear note. Use that to tune one string and work from there. That is how I would approach it smile.gif

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Rolls
Aug 11 2008, 05:44 PM
Found this on another message board :

"Set your tuner to 427 or 428 Hz (unless you can set it to 427.5 Hz). A above C is 440 Hz. Ab above C is 415 Hz. Halfway between them is 427.5. That would be a quarter down from A (or up from Ab)."

You can probably start by tunning around 427 Hz and then adjust it slightly as needed to the tune of the recording.

Rolls

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 12 2008, 07:48 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Hehe this sounds like fun Muris smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Aug 12 2008, 08:04 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I use a freeware called "Guitar and Drum Trainer 2", you can pitch and slow down mp3s while your listening. Google it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 12 2008, 08:09 PM
QUOTE (BM @ Aug 11 2008, 04:06 AM) *
Hey I hope someone can give me a simple solution to this problem. I want to learn 2 songs and one solo right now but the songs are tunes 1/4 step down. I don't have a tuner (somehow mine dissapeared) so I am using a site to tune my guitar.

How can I tune it to 1/4 step down to play these songs?

Thanks

make your own backing in the correct key, then you won't have to intonate your guitar and all that s***.

ANYWAY, if you have a mic to your comp, you can download tuning applications.

Edit for language - Smells

This post has been edited by Smells: Aug 13 2008, 10:39 AM

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Aug 12 2008, 11:37 PM
Instructor
Ok, it's not an easy way but you have two opcions that could be usefull. One is to create or search if someone had created a frequency analyzer in MAX/MSP and use it to measure the frequency to get the tunning. The other is simpler, you can record the note and analyze it with a spectrum analizer like the one you have in Cool Edit or other programs.
Those are the more precise way, but you can also find some Stand-alone program to do the job smile.gif
I hope you find usefull the information.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:32 AM