3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Practice Plan With Exercises
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 01:35 PM
Instructor
Hello everybody !

Couple of days ago HexDump posted a topic regarding practicing and improving his skills. I did my best to help him and created a plan for 2 hour slot he had to practice things he feels needs to improve on : Legato, Alternate, Tapping, Sweeping, Economy picking and Vibrato!
This topic can be found https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=20065

I opened this topic on request of two students (HexDump and OrganisedConfusion) so we can have all my exercises in one place.

Here are all the exercises so far along with very important text. I hope more students will participate in this and learn from it!

I recommend you do following things

- Make a list of things that are important to your style of playing
It can be Bending, Sliding, Legato, Alternate, Tapping, Sweep picking, Economy picking, Chicken picking (hybrid) , Fingerstyle, Harmonics, Vibrato etc

- Once you have your list down , create/write down at least 5 exercises for each area you want to work on.
You can use other people's exercises they don't have to be your own , just find ones that are useful for things you are working on.

- Assign starting tempo for each exercise and practice moving tempos by 4 to 8bpms every day.
If you practice 3 or more hours a day guitar , organized practice , you will definitely see huge improvement by doing this.

- Get a timer and use it when practicing!
One exercises 2to3 minutes and move to the next one then next one... Practice like this for an hour then take 10 -15 minute brake and come back to continue practicing.

After less then a month you should see obvious signs of improvements in all areas!

Hope this helps!

Pedja

Here is my detailed plan and suggestion for your 2 hour slot !
Couple of things about the plan:

1) You will practice for one hour straight then take 15 minute brake and do another hour, so whole plan will really be 2 hours and 15 minutes smile.gif

2 hours = 120 minutes : 3 minutes for exercise = 40 exercises total : 6 techniques = 6-7 exercises per technique or 3 -4 exercises but repeat them in second hour of your practice!

Your techniques are :

- Legato
- Alternate
- Sweep picking
- Tapping
- Economy picking
- Vibrato

Suggestion : You will practice each exercise for 2:30 minutes and have 30 seconds brake in between exercises.

Now I will upload you some Guitar pro files with exercises in those areas. I will give you couple for each area and you should practice them at very slow tempo at first and gradually increase tempo every day by 4-8 bpm. In the beginning this will be easier but once you get to 140-150bpm take it easy with 16th notes and triplets - it will take you longer than a day to move to another tempo.

I will get to tabbing right now and post you examples for these techniques very soon. In the meanwhile you can create word sheet or excel with different columns and time slots as well as days (7 days on top, then on the left Legato then 3 -6 exercises below it then another technique and so on and so forth). You will use this table to write in your tempo in there every day that you practice and keep your progress.

See you in half an hour or so biggrin.gif

Here is 2 Alternate picking examples using single string only ! You can do this on any string really its great stretching and warm up.

More examples coming soon!

Here is 3rd Alternate picking example.
This should be enough for start ! I will try to do some legato ones for you right now.

Here is one for legato ! Make sure you do this one really slow because it stretches out 2nd and 3rd finger which are really hard to stretch - don't go for speed here just get the mechanics down.

Another one for legato - 3 note per string pattern in A dorian - you can see this one in Ritchie Kotzen video I believe , and Satriani does this one a lot!

Exercise 3 for legato is sequence in C major or A relative minor. Read the notes in the score information for more info!

Hope this is enough for tonight ! I will try to post you more examples tomorrow (for tapping and sweep picking for example).

Let me know how you are doing with these exercises !

Thanks

Pedja

Here is more exercises!

We start of with Tapping.

This one is 3 note per string pattern in C major going ascending. You can do the same exercise descending and move it around the scale! I suggest tapping with your 2nd finger (if you are still holding pick with thumb and 1st finger).

2nd exercise is again in C major or E phrygian if you will. 8th note triplets are primary rhythm like in previous one. Tempos are there just to help you hear how it sounds. I can play this one blazingly fast like the other ones but the point is for you to find your starting tempos and work your way up! Again, tapping happens with 2nd finger while you hold pick with thumb and index finger.

3rd exercise is using Sequence in A minor pentatonic. 6tuplets are played here (6 notes per beat - also known as 16th note triplets). This is standard minor pentatonic box with the additional note from the next box. You can do this all over guitar neck its pretty awesome sequence actually I use this one a lot !

Now we start with some Sweep picking!

Exercise 1 is E minor 7 arpeggio using strings G B and E . It flows pretty nicely. You can use this one in fast passages of your solo or as a quick run into something with slower rhythm. Fingering is there , make sure to sweep trough the strings properly (3 times down 3 times up stroke). Tempo again is your choice , but start everything really slow and build up the tempo every day like I explained above in this post.

2nd exercise is in A harmonic minor. Sweep picking in neoclassical style of Yngwie M. Make sure you execute picking (sweeping) correctly and the pull of is essential in all the sweeps in this one. Practice it very very very slow , then go for the faster tempos.

3rd exercise is very useful. It uses finger "roll over" technique and it applies all 4 fingers of your left hand. This is Frank Gambale style sweep picking example. Practice it slow, get it to sound clean and then increase tempo !

Economy picking

Exercise 1 is using 3 note per string patterns in key of C major. Its going both ascending and descending - one shape up , one shape down. This is very cool concept when learning 3 note per string patterns ! Play it slowly than increase tempo gradually and make sure it all sounds clear (no ghost or dead notes etc).

2nd exercise uses a A harmonic minor. Here again we have 3 note per string patterns but we also use repetition in the lick as well as the same fingerings in 3 octaves! This is great way to play your runs and practice playing trough the whole guitar neck. Practice it slowly then move to faster tempos.

3rd exercise uses C major scale or E prhygian mode. This exercise incorporates both alternate and economy picking and its great example how to balance both.

Have fun with these and I will see you soon with more examples! Don't forget to take these examples in different keys and edit them to fit your style of playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 3 2008, 08:19 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Alternate1.gp5 ( 1.95K ) Number of downloads: 329
Attached File  Alternate_2.gp5 ( 2.21K ) Number of downloads: 247
Attached File  Alternate_3.gp5 ( 2.17K ) Number of downloads: 249
Attached File  Legato__1.gp5 ( 2.1K ) Number of downloads: 234
Attached File  Legato_2.gp5 ( 2.14K ) Number of downloads: 232
Attached File  Legato_3.gp5 ( 1.87K ) Number of downloads: 235
Attached File  Tapping_1.gp5 ( 1.83K ) Number of downloads: 263
Attached File  Tapping_2.gp5 ( 1.63K ) Number of downloads: 235
Attached File  Tapping_3.gp5 ( 2.08K ) Number of downloads: 208
Attached File  Sweep_picking_1.gp5 ( 1.87K ) Number of downloads: 280
Attached File  Sweep_picking_2.gp5 ( 1.97K ) Number of downloads: 266
Attached File  Sweep_picking__3.gp5 ( 1.68K ) Number of downloads: 264
Attached File  Economy_picking_1.gp5 ( 2.16K ) Number of downloads: 253
Attached File  Economy_picking_2.gp5 ( 2.14K ) Number of downloads: 250
Attached File  Economy_picking_3.gp5 ( 1.69K ) Number of downloads: 241

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 01:37 PM
GMC:er
This is just awesome Pedja. Thanks a lot. I will be getting all these exercises and adding them to my practice routine when I get home from work smile.gif

Cheers again.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 01:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 02:37 PM) *
This is just awesome Pedja. Thanks a lot. I will be getting all these exercises and adding them to my practice routine when I get home from work smile.gif

Cheers again.

You welcome ! I am happy to hear that this helps you. Can't wait to hear you play them !
I will finish all 6 areas with 3 exercises first and then I will keep adding more exercises to each area.
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 01:43 PM
I've just bought a webcam so I should be able to upload video of playing. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 01:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 02:43 PM) *
I've just bought a webcam so I should be able to upload video of playing. smile.gif

Awesome!!!
That would be very cool . Would love to see how you are doing with this stuff.
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
CycoKilla
Oct 3 2008, 02:08 PM
Wow!

This is an awesome thread.

Fantastic effort Pedja.
ALOT of players will benefit from having something like this spelt out so clearly.

I know I have difficulty in being self motivated & disciplined in a practice routine (& most areas of life really...) however I find it easier to stick to a plan when someone else has set it out for me & said "here's what to do."

Excellent!!

--------------------
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Limited Edition Birds-Eye Maple
Epiphone PR350 - 12 String Acoustic
Ibanez "EX" series
Marshall JCM800 50W Lead Combo
Line 6 Toneport UX2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 02:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (CycoKilla @ Oct 3 2008, 03:08 PM) *
Wow!

This is an awesome thread.

Fantastic effort Pedja.
ALOT of players will benefit from having something like this spelt out so clearly.

I know I have difficulty in being self motivated & disciplined in a practice routine (& most areas of life really...) however I find it easier to stick to a plan when someone else has set it out for me & said "here's what to do."

Excellent!!

Thank you so much CycoKilla. I am very pleased to see that you and many others will benefit from this practice plan and exercises. Like you mentioned in your post, problem with beginners is they are not motivated and disciplined , so I always feel it is best to lay things out and give them a short cut of a sort to improve faster and gain more results for later. This practice plan is awesome. When you execute it like I explained 2 hours will fly so fast you will actually feel like you played half an hour! Its that good. After a while you will keep adding new exercises, techniques and you will apply this plan to songwriting recording ear training and other things that are also important in music.

Thank you so much for your post - this gives me energy to work more for all of you guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Oct 3 2008, 02:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
This is an awesome help from you Pedja, thanks a lot!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 03:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 3 2008, 03:49 PM) *
This is an awesome help from you Pedja, thanks a lot!

You welcome Coffeman !
Let me know if you have any questions about it .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 3 2008, 04:07 PM
. this is amazing!!!!! I'm just practising the 3 AP Lessons now at 60 BPM. I'm slow, when I remember all notes how they go in order ill play faster! Having trouble with the excel part... if anyone has made himself a sheet could you send it to me?smile.gif I will practice all excersises every day!

This post has been edited by Jesse: Oct 3 2008, 04:13 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jesse @ Oct 3 2008, 05:07 PM) *
. this is amazing!!!!! I'm just practising the 3 AP Lessons now at 60 BPM. I'm slow, when I remember all notes how they go in order ill play faster! Having trouble with the excel part... if anyone has made himself a sheet could you send it to me?smile.gif I'll mod it a bit for myself.

Excellent Jesse!
Remember 60bpm might seem slow now but you have to start somewhere. Always pick a tempo where you can play clearly example from start to finish without any mistakes ! In other words - don't go for 120bpm if you cant play it 100% perfect at 100bpm at least 5-10 times in a row!
I just finished 5 areas , Vibrato is the only one left from HexDumps plan. I will be adding more exercises soon , now I need to get going and record video lesson.

I will be checking this thread a lot so don't hesitate to ask any questions and leave comments.

Thanks everyone! smile.gif

P.S. I am also pretty weak on excel but if you guys need the Practice sheet with days and time slots I will get somebody to do it for me soon.

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 3 2008, 04:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skyla°Lit
Oct 3 2008, 04:26 PM
Wow! smile.gif Thank you so much Pedja! That's one helluva contribution to our practice routines!! biggrin.gif

Many many thanks!

--------------------
“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 3 2008, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Great struture build up there Pedja. I always tend to play an excercise for maybe 20 min then go to the next one but i will definently try to do your way and see if it works better

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 3 2008, 07:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Wow Pedja, great help!

Note: the link in the fifth line of your text is not working.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 3 2008, 08:07 PM
... Sorry for asking, I would like the excel sheet to print, I never worked with it before and just cant seem to get it right!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Canis
Oct 3 2008, 08:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wow... Great work, Pedja biggrin.gif
Thanks a lot =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 08:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skyla°Lit @ Oct 3 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Wow! smile.gif Thank you so much Pedja! That's one helluva contribution to our practice routines!! biggrin.gif

Many many thanks!

You welcome Skyla - glad you are benefiting from this wink.gif

QUOTE (superize @ Oct 3 2008, 06:09 PM) *
Great struture build up there Pedja. I always tend to play an excercise for maybe 20 min then go to the next one but i will definently try to do your way and see if it works better

Superize , this plan is for people who are getting bored and can not focus on one thing when practicing. That's why many different exercises will move things faster and students will still benefit from it ! If you can focus 20 minutes on one exercise and improve (and you feel you need that specific exercise) then by all means do so. This is just as I said another cool way of spicing up your practice routine and improving - a very effective one wink.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Oct 3 2008, 08:18 PM) *
Wow Pedja, great help!

Note: the link in the fifth line of your text is not working.

Thank you Kaznie. I just fixed the link , check it out now and let me know if there are any problems with it.
It's the same stuff that I copied here more or less.

QUOTE (Jesse @ Oct 3 2008, 09:07 PM) *
... Sorry for asking, I would like the excel sheet to print, I never worked with it before and just cant seem to get it right!

Jesse couple of days ago I put new XP in my computer so I don't have excel and many other applications. I just talked to my brother and asked him to do one practice plan which you can later modify to fit your needs (with tittles and extra exercises ) . Will upload it here as soon as he does it. Until then paitence is a virtue wink.gif

QUOTE (Canis @ Oct 3 2008, 09:25 PM) *
Wow... Great work, Pedja biggrin.gif
Thanks a lot =)

Thank you I do my best and am glad you like it guys.
You welcome , let me know how it works for you.

wink.gif

I just tried uploading Excel sheet here and it wont allow me to do it. I will upload it on my website and give you a direct link for download - free of course wink.gif

Here is a direct Alternate picking sheet download link ! http://www.pedjazz.com/practice/Alternate%20picking.xls
Legato sheet http://www.pedjazz.com/practice/Legato.xls
Tapping sheet http://www.pedjazz.com/practic/Tapping.xls
Sweep picking sheet http://www.pedjazz.com/practice/Sweep%20picking.xls
Economy picking sheet http://www.pedjazz.com/practice/Economy%20picking.xls

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 3 2008, 09:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Oct 3 2008, 09:07 PM
Learning Roadie
this is excellent.. thank you very much.. I will try and incorporate this in my new practice schedule..

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 3 2008, 09:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Oct 3 2008, 10:07 PM) *
this is excellent.. thank you very much.. I will try and incorporate this in my new practice schedule..

Great ! Try it out , let me know if you have any questions about the exercises. I will definitely add more exercises to this , but for starters this is at least hour worth of work or two if you repeat them in second hour although you won't need to do that because I will ad at least 3 more exercises for each area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 4 2008, 03:02 AM
Moderation Policy Director
You are doing an awesome job here Pedja - this is excellent stuff!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:00 PM