Left Hand Cramp, I think I'm killing my strings =D
thefireball
May 27 2011, 02:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC!

I notice that when I'm doing a lot of rhythms for recordings and such my fretting hand gets really cramped and hurts. This especially is noticed when I'm fretting power chords. Am I too tense? I just wanted another opinion. Anything I can do to help stop the tensing, except concentrating on relaxing? smile.gif Perhaps imagine the guitar is extremely fragile? laugh.gif (I wonder what Ben would say to that.)

By the way, I stop to give my hands a break when the pain comes. I'm stretching them right now.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
thefireball
May 28 2011, 01:54 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 27 2011, 06:53 PM) *
Try this.

TAKE YOUR LEFT THUMB OFF THE GUITAR NECK

Yup. Sounds crazy I know. We do this a lot in our Saturday Vid Chat sessions. We call it playing "THUMBLESS". It feels really strange at first. But what it does is allow your hand to find out the minimal amount of pressure required and then it can "Reset" your hand. Once your hand starts to learn that it doesn't need to squeeze, it will stop doing it. This takes a bit of practice of course, but before recording, try playing the part "Thumbless" until you can play it good enough to record that way then gently let your thumb rest back on the neck.

Sounds extreme but I developed this idea/technique to help students with this very problem. It's been working wonders for my students for years. Give it a shot!

Todd

That's a very good piece of advice! smile.gif I will definitely try that. Thank you so much.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:20 AM