2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Double Stop Lesson, Admin request
Phil66
Nov 13 2016, 07:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Kris,

Is there any chance of getting some double stop lessons for rock and metal please. It would be handy to learn how to throw them into our Improvisations.

I can't see any for rock and metal in the search

Thanks for reading this smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 13 2016, 07:51 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 13 2016, 08:25 PM
GMC Founder
Yep - we got several instructors who I think would be capable of doing cool tutorials on this topic. Anyone interested?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 13 2016, 08:31 PM
Maybe it could be a course? Showing us the different techniques from basic double stops to more advanced things like unison bends, double stop bending and vibrato, and then example of how to fit them into improvisations and also learning a solo with them all in. Maybe starting with blues/classic rock at a moderate tempo and moving up to metal.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2016, 10:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! I think that a tutorial covering this topic can be really cool. Do you have any videos of guitarists or guitar solos using exactly the type of things that you'd like to learn?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 13 2016, 10:55 PM
Hello Gab,

I don't have any videos but I will look, I hear it a lot when listening to acdc, Thunder and other classic rock bands, I don't own many metal albums but i hear it on the radio quite a bit.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2016, 11:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 13 2016, 06:55 PM) *
Hello Gab,

I don't have any videos but I will look, I hear it a lot when listening to acdc, Thunder and other classic rock bands, I don't own many metal albums but i hear it on the radio quite a bit.

Cheers

yeah, I can get what you mean. I think that a well structured tutorial is a great idea for this technique. In the meantime, you could check some lessons that cover this topic:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-Chordal-Hendrix/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Double-Stop-Soul/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Double-Stop-Soul-II/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Double-Stop-Melody/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Double-Stop-Ballad/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Double-Stop-Phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...uble-note-6ths/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 16 2016, 09:37 PM
Thanks Gab,

Yeah, there aren't really any rock based ones though except for the Hendrix one.

I've been listening to GnR Appetite album in the car recently and noticed how much Slash uses double stops in his playing, or at least they sound like it to me with my current level of listening skills.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 17 2016, 07:39 AM
Learning Tone Master
You have right, Slash uses double stops in his playing wink.gif

Maybe these lessons will be much closer to what you search. The lesson made by Ben sounds really awesome. Beside double stops and many other tasty things, he also used unison bends.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rockin-The-Blues/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...r/double-stops/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-rhythm-n-solo/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/stepha...a_first_lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classi...n-Roll-Soloing/

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 17 2016, 08:24 AM
Thanks Monica,

I'll check them out smile.gif

I think a nice little (6 part maybe) course would be great, starting simple and adding and building along the way.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 18 2016, 05:32 AM
Instructor
Yeah, Slash uses a lot of double stops. There isn't too much difference between the double stop ideas used in rock than in blues and all those soul lessons. The concept is similar, and even the type of licks are really similar so you'd get a lot by learning some of those lessons and discover the most used double stop ideas.

By the way, we'll definitely do something about this. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 18 2016, 11:50 AM
Learning Roadie
There are some country double stop lessons, and country is where the rock guys copied the licks from. 3rds and 6ths is where it's at

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 18 2016, 05:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 18 2016, 07:50 AM) *
There are some country double stop lessons, and country is where the rock guys copied the licks from. 3rds and 6ths is where it's at

Exactly. And if there is anything that is not used in rock, that's even better for a rock player! But I don't think so, everything comes from country and blues in classic rock. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 18 2016, 08:42 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 18 2016, 04:32 AM) *
Yeah, Slash uses a lot of double stops. There isn't too much difference between the double stop ideas used in rock than in blues and all those soul lessons. The concept is similar, and even the type of licks are really similar so you'd get a lot by learning some of those lessons and discover the most used double stop ideas.

By the way, we'll definitely do something about this. wink.gif

Yeah I guess you're right Gab but it's always nice for beginners to hear it in the context they are trying it in, for example in my Highway To Hell improvised solos I'm trying to add them in and I just can't visualise (I don't know the hear version of that word so that will have to do wink.gif ) the soul and country double stops in my ACDC solo. huh.gif

Looking forward to something like a mini course coming along, Thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 18 2016, 04:19 PM) *
Exactly. And if there is anything that is not used in rock, that's even better for a rock player! But I don't think so, everything comes from country and blues in classic rock. biggrin.gif

See above tongue.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 20 2016, 12:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 18 2016, 04:42 PM) *
Yeah I guess you're right Gab but it's always nice for beginners to hear it in the context they are trying it in, for example in my Highway To Hell improvised solos I'm trying to add them in and I just can't visualise (I don't know the hear version of that word so that will have to do wink.gif ) the soul and country double stops in my ACDC solo. huh.gif

Looking forward to something like a mini course coming along, Thanks smile.gif

See above tongue.gif

Many things to say about this!

1. I don't consider you a beginner anymore. You are already rocking Highway to Hell!
2. Listen! If you want to visualise those type of licks, the best is to listen to rock albums and see how greatest rocker do it. That's how they learnt it.
3. Experiment! Play those soul and country licks over AC/DC solo, many times, every day. See how they sound, and experiment by your own in order to make them sound good. There are two possible results: you can learn how to rock with double stops, or maybe you create your own style!
4. Just one example, Malmsteen created his style (and influenced millions of guitarists) by playing baroque Violin licks in a metal context.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I think that this points are also valid and the results can be really promising. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 1 2016, 06:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Phil I knocked these up for you to work with, because I was trying to avoid doing the ironing laugh.gif

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 1 2016, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 19 2016, 11:56 PM) *
Many things to say about this!

1. I don't consider you a beginner anymore. You are already rocking Highway to Hell!
2. Listen! If you want to visualise those type of licks, the best is to listen to rock albums and see how greatest rocker do it. That's how they learnt it.
3. Experiment! Play those soul and country licks over AC/DC solo, many times, every day. See how they sound, and experiment by your own in order to make them sound good. There are two possible results: you can learn how to rock with double stops, or maybe you create your own style!
4. Just one example, Malmsteen created his style (and influenced millions of guitarists) by playing baroque Violin licks in a metal context.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I think that this points are also valid and the results can be really promising. biggrin.gif

Thanks Gab,

Sorry I missed this, can't understand how. I get what you're saying. And point number one made my day especially as I've got got the blues with this man flu.
One thing I will say, not many beginner or intermediate guitarists have got Yngwie's vision. A bit like many trainee chefs don't have the vision of Heston Blumenthal.

I will take on board what you've said though mate. Thank you smile.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 1 2016, 05:15 PM) *
Phil I knocked these up for you to work with, because I was trying to avoid doing the ironing laugh.gif

Thanks buddy,

I'll look into those. I've never thought about double stops that aren't on adjacent strings. Nice one.

Cheers.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Dec 12 2016, 04:09 PM
Learning Roadie
some nice double stop examples here

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 15 2017, 06:57 PM
Learning Roadie
This is your fault Phil, you got me thinking about doublestops, I should name it after you!
https://soundcloud.com/mattkid/country-6ths

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jan 15 2017, 07:47 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 15 2017, 07:09 PM
Sorry buddy smile.gif

That Soundcloud link doesn't work mate sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 15 2017, 07:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Try now!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:52 PM