> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Mad's Guitar Routines, for Gab's Army
mad
Jun 11 2014, 11:47 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Here's the last one:

Band: Breach
Song: Mr. Marshall
Key: ?

Tuning: drop B (B, F#, B, E, G#, C#)

[00:00-00:06]intro: drums (filter eq). F#, B into
[00:06-01:02]Part A: Drums, vocals, riff(repeated): B5, D#5, D5, C5, B5, D#5, F#5, C5 with extra ringing higher D on the D5 chord
[01:02-01:56]Part B: low part, drums and guitar getting quiet, building slowly some tension. Guitar1 F#, G, Guitar2 Clean F#, B
[01:56-02:25]Part C: heavy distorted riff (guitars & bass): 3xC5, 3xD#5, 3xE5
[02:25-03:49]Part D: heavy distorted riff (guitars & bass) variation with C5, D#5, E5, synth melody, tremolo picking: F#, G
[03:49-04:00]Part C with 1xE5 into
[04:00-]Outro: guitar/Amp noises

Video for time-reference:

OK, so what's the next step from here?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2014, 06:57 PM
Instructor
Great! I don't have my guitar here with me to check the chords that you wrote but I will do it later today.

I was thinking that maybe we are able to start on the first song. We already have many concepts learnt by the song analyzed. My Sleeping Karma songs are clearer and I think that you could start with something inspired by them. That idea of modal melodies, using open strings as pedal note. I also like the structures that they use to make the songs evolve. On the other side, Breach's noisy sound is very cool to be applied in some sections where you want heavier textures. It's also cool how they use dissonance in chords and progressions.

The first step would be to create some possible melodic ideas and post them here to then choose which on to continue working. What do you think? We need many possibilities.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
mad
Jun 24 2014, 07:13 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Gabriel smile.gif

I dared to post my take on Bens legato lesson in the REC zone smile.gif

Not perfect, but it still was a lot of work biggrin.gif

Did you find some time to check the chords?
The last weeks I did some recordings for ideas, mostly clean - I'll send them to you!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 14 2014, 06:57 PM) *
Great! I don't have my guitar here with me to check the chords that you wrote but I will do it later today.

I was thinking that maybe we are able to start on the first song. We already have many concepts learnt by the song analyzed. My Sleeping Karma songs are clearer and I think that you could start with something inspired by them. That idea of modal melodies, using open strings as pedal note. I also like the structures that they use to make the songs evolve. On the other side, Breach's noisy sound is very cool to be applied in some sections where you want heavier textures. It's also cool how they use dissonance in chords and progressions.

The first step would be to create some possible melodic ideas and post them here to then choose which on to continue working. What do you think? We need many possibilities.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 24 2014, 01:45 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I'm checking the chords from the song and I think that there are some differences between your analysis and what I hear. I think that the tune is clearly in B minor and that the chords used belong to that tonality, excepting C5 that appears there borrowed from Phrygian mode.

The progression in the beginning seems to be this one: Bm - Em D - C#m - Bm - Em G - C5

Check it our and tell me how it feels.

Regarding the legato lesson, I can see it improving from take to take. However the timing issues are still important at this tempo. You should focus on the duration of each note and on being sure to play tight 16th notes over the backing. The combination of picking with legato is making you play this one maladjusted. I think that you could even practice this at slower tempo, to focus on timing and then increase it. I know that you already can make this sound, but timing is as important as the sound of each note.

Keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2014, 03:42 PM
Instructor
1 month without news here... I feel abandoned..

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 25 2014, 10:35 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Who can resist such a dogs look laugh.gif

OK, so let's continue.. As already discussed, I'll post some recordings and I'd like to have my practice-routine renewed. Currently I can dedicate 1,5-3 hours a day to guitar playing. I'd like to have a (weekly) structured plan that contains warmup/technique lessons/song writing (most important) - can you help me with that?

And I'll spend 30mins a day for your improvisation course. First recordings will follow tomorrow, but don't expect too much - it's week#1 wink.gif and I'm really bad at improvising biggrin.gif but hopefully this will change soon wink.gif

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 26 2014, 09:54 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Here's a quick and short recording for todays improvisation workout..
Attached File  Improv1.mp3 ( 1.65MB ) Number of downloads: 128

I only used the arpeggio-shapes. It's hard to switch from those shapes to the other patterns (1/2 octave shapes or diatonic sequences)..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 26 2014, 07:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Aug 25 2014, 06:35 PM) *
Who can resist such a dogs look laugh.gif

OK, so let's continue.. As already discussed, I'll post some recordings and I'd like to have my practice-routine renewed. Currently I can dedicate 1,5-3 hours a day to guitar playing. I'd like to have a (weekly) structured plan that contains warmup/technique lessons/song writing (most important) - can you help me with that?

And I'll spend 30mins a day for your improvisation course. First recordings will follow tomorrow, but don't expect too much - it's week#1 wink.gif and I'm really bad at improvising biggrin.gif but hopefully this will change soon wink.gif

Hi mate! I knew that you wouldn't resist to the dog! It's my trick to bring back soldiers to this Army. cool.gif

I'll wait for your recording in order to design a new routine.

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 26 2014, 05:54 AM) *
Here's a quick and short recording for todays improvisation workout..
Attached File  Improv1.mp3 ( 1.65MB ) Number of downloads: 128

I only used the arpeggio-shapes. It's hard to switch from those shapes to the other patterns (1/2 octave shapes or diatonic sequences)..

Excellent!! This is exactly the workout that you have to do every day!! Continue working with these arpeggios but also start to incorporate the full scale, used as passing notes from arpeggio note to arpeggio note. Both your ear and your improvisation skills will be developed after some weeks of practice. This will have a big impact in your playing and also in your compositions. Well done mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 27 2014, 10:07 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Todays improvisation workout, this time in C-Major (got the backing somewhere at youtube)
I used 1 octave patterns only and tried to combine it with a diatonic sequence into the second chorus..

Attached File  Improv2.mp3 ( 1.51MB ) Number of downloads: 125

will try to do the song-idea recording after the V-Chat today..

+Quote Post
mad
Aug 27 2014, 11:25 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
And here's another take of your Another Day To Remember-lesson with (hopefully) improved muted 16th notes parts:

Attached File  ADTR_take2.mp3 ( 1.67MB ) Number of downloads: 114

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 27 2014, 07:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Aug 27 2014, 06:07 AM) *
Todays improvisation workout, this time in C-Major (got the backing somewhere at youtube)
I used 1 octave patterns only and tried to combine it with a diatonic sequence into the second chorus..

Attached File  Improv2.mp3 ( 1.51MB ) Number of downloads: 125

will try to do the song-idea recording after the V-Chat today..

This sounds so musical man. Very good job! I can see that you can create a lot of music with just a few notes. This is the main goal of this new course, to start small but always put music in first place. You are doing it! Congrats. Keep on experimenting in this way and adding the weekly new concepts.

QUOTE (mad @ Aug 27 2014, 07:25 AM) *
And here's another take of your Another Day To Remember-lesson with (hopefully) improved muted 16th notes parts:

Attached File  ADTR_take2.mp3 ( 1.67MB ) Number of downloads: 114

Well done with the 16th notes. The sections are better, but there is still some room to improvements. There are some very little timing issues in the first part and also around 00:35. Keep on working on it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 2 2014, 08:23 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 27 2014, 07:50 PM) *
This sounds so musical man. Very good job! I can see that you can create a lot of music with just a few notes. This is the main goal of this new course, to start small but always put music in first place. You are doing it! Congrats. Keep on experimenting in this way and adding the weekly new concepts.

Thanks Gab! smile.gif

Here's an improvisation/noodling around using your latest backing in G:
Attached File  ImprovGMaj_2.mp3 ( 5.86MB ) Number of downloads: 116

I used the 5 pentatonic shapes only

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 27 2014, 07:50 PM) *
Well done with the 16th notes. The sections are better, but there is still some room to improvements. There are some very little timing issues in the first part and also around 00:35. Keep on working on it.

Thank you, I worked every day on it until I got that final REC-take! wink.gif
Now, regarding learning more advanced metal rhythm lessons, I'd like to get this one down:
Progressive-Metal-Heat

What do you think?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2014, 02:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Mad! Thanks for the update! smile.gif

I enjoyed your improvisation practice. You should keep on practicing this stuff every day, work on more melodic stuff combining the pentatonics with arpeggios and major scale. Week#3 will be ready tomorrow for the Vchat. wink.gif

About the progressive lesson, wou!! it's killer!! I missed this one so this is the first time I listened to it. I love it. It reminds me to Angel Vivaldi's music, have you heard him?

Let's go for it!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 16 2014, 08:18 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Gabriel!

Man - that BMTH-Lesson is killer and learning/playing it was so cool cool.gif
Especially having the possibilty to use exactly your tone since you provide them with every lesson - that's awesome!
I double tracked the guitar by playing twice (just to make it sound more killer biggrin.gif ), so it had to be as tight played as possible - but I think it turned out quite well..

As for your improvisation course - I'm still practicing everyday (and following the v-chat sessions via ustream) but wasn't able to do some decent recordings (will do this week).
Currently I'm working on that lesson by Max, so stay tuned for a recording/preview of that, too. And yes - I know Angel Vivaldi
First heard of him when he released this song:

Amazing player.. nothing more to say wink.gif

So, I told you about me forming a band. Currently we are 3 (2 guitar 1 bass) and my friend may come in as drummer. Yesterday we met the second time just to see if we'll get something put together and what can I say.. it's amazing. They are well versed players with long time band experience and now I have the opportunity to grow with them smile.gif
We already played one complete song (composed by the bass player) and it's really cool and fun to play. I'm very excited just because you just need to play anything and everyone starts to jam over it immediately - and it sounds cool.. best ear- and improvisation training EVER cool.gif !
I already told them what direction I'd like to go with our music and they're excited, too biggrin.gif

Just wanted to let you know wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2014, 12:51 PM
Instructor
Hi friend! This are all amazing news! I'm really happy to know that you enjoyed BMTH lesson. Now I see why it sounded exactly as my lesson, you used the patch provided, well done! smile.gif

About the band, that's so cool man! It's not easy to find good players, with a good energy, and that share a good connection with you. Enjoy this rehearsals, this musical moments because they are unique. How are you planning to continue with the composing process? What are the next plans?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 17 2014, 08:44 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
My plans for composing are quite simple now - I'll take most of my short ideas and then me and my bandmates trying to come up with something useful.
But I'd like to share some ideas here, too that we can work on for refining a composing process just because I want to be able to compose whole songs by my own in the near future..

So, this idea is for an intro I had in my head for quite a while now (maybe I already sent it to you by mail) and I have no clue where to go from here... what would be your creative process to go from this idea to the next part(s) in regard of the influences we already have discussed (My Sleeping Karma, Breach)?

Attached File  EmbraceTheDarkness.mp3 ( 1.67MB ) Number of downloads: 110

And thanks again for all your help and encouragement, I really really appreciate it!

Cheers,
Marc

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2014, 02:52 PM
Instructor
Hi mad, nice idea, I like it. Let's work on it.

As you are having problems completing songs, this is a workout that will help you to finish a few ones to trust more in your own composing skills. Let's take the structure of one of the songs analyzed, for example this one:

[00:00-00:15]Intro 2 x (Dm, DmaddA#) followed by A,F,A, less Drums
[00:15-00:37]Part A Riff (A5, A#5, D5) with drums - G5/D then melody
[00:37-01:34]Part B drums getting heavier, G. playing previous melody as heavier riff/variations
[01:34-02:03]Part C riff variation, with melody over: D,C#,A#,G D,C#,A#,G D,C#,A#,G,C#,G,A#,G
[02:03-02:10]Part D riff: D5, G5/D into
[02:10-02:25]Intro
[02:25-02:40]Intro with additional riff (Part A)
[02:40-03:15]Part E Intro Chords with heavy bass, vocals

The structure above could be used for your track and also some of the contrasts between parts. For example, you already have an intro + part A that is in D minor. It's time to work on part B, that could move to A and become heavier (both guitars and drums). Don't worry if the idea isn't the most amazing ever, record the best one that comes to mind and keep going. Once you have part B, work on part C and D. Again, don't try to compose a masterpiece, try to create parts, record sections and connect the whole thing, there is always time to replace, edit, create a variation. The problem appears when we stop and feel blocked, if we keep going and trust in ourselves ideas flow, the first ones that flow can be not very "creative" but once we open the window, magic appears. It's just a matter of time, special moments and practice. Are you in?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 19 2014, 10:41 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I am! Will try to get some recordings done this weekend!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 19 2014, 01:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Sep 19 2014, 06:41 AM) *
I am! Will try to get some recordings done this weekend!

Excellent! And remember, let it flow. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 19 2014, 10:12 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Here's a recording for the week#3 Am backing using the AM pentatonic.
I tried to play simple melody with kinda call/response and incoorporate chord tones while improvising..

Attached File  ImprovAMin.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 109

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:15 PM