Bad News About Our Poorly Dog
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 27 2012, 08:47 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
We have a few pets including our 6 year old rescue dog. He'd been losing weight, was off his food, showed some signs of anemia and had had a couple of bad nose bleeds last wek
so we took him to the local vet. She said that she thought that he had a hernia but recommended that we have him x-rayed, nmr scanned and blood tested. The blood tests have now come back and he has visceral leishmaniasis. That's an anti- immune condition spread by a parasite carried by a sandfly (the sandfly is actually a tiny mosquito and it also doesn't live in sand). He may have had the condition dormant for years. We actually had had him vaccinated against leishmania and he wore a special collar but to no avail. The condition isn't curable, it can only be managed. He'll now have to have a daily muscular injection for a month and he also have to take tablets for the rest of his life. The condition will eventually kill him as the parasite from the sandflies gradually build up an immunity to it. How long he lasts is anyone's guess, some dogs die after a few months but some live for several years.

My wife is being very stoic about it. She says she's glad just to know what is wrong with him and how to manage the condition.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 15)
Dieterle
Sep 27 2012, 09:23 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Tonimiro!

I am sorry about whats happen to your dog .

I got a dog too and my family and i love him of course like you love your dog too.

Strange parasite and illness came to your dog .

The way your wife think a bout it - i think its closed to what i would think , i guess .

Do what is sinful to do the medical way of course

and spend much time as possible with the dog and show him that you love him and do what he likes with him and whats possible .
I am talking sometimes to my dog just watching him and stroke and massaging him - then he feels a bit like in paradise,
let him know that he is a part of family !

What one day remains is only ONE thing and thats the way to Love that we could find together and this is TIMELESS and thats what we all are !

sorry my simple english cool.gif

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 27 2012, 12:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
sorry to hear that, dude. Ive always had at least 1 dog ( got 2 at the moment ) its really not nice if they are ill or whatever.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 27 2012, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Very sorry to hear that Tony.

I guess one small mercy is that animals live in the moment and don't have the outer awareness that us humans do. I mean that in a respectful way towards animals, not in a 'they're not as developed as us' way. In fact, the way that animals live is much more in line with inner peace than us humans have because we have a conditioned ego which is aware of the way we think of ourselves and how things are and should be etc.. we're also aware of the past and of sorrow where as an animal can just be in harmony with the moment so hopefully they can live a good life still. I really hope the drugs will take the symptoms away from him so he can live a few good years yet.

Not sure if I've explained myself very well but I think you know what I mean smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 27 2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys for all the kind words smile.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 27 2012, 06:01 PM
GMC:er
Sorry to hear that Tony.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 28 2012, 01:34 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
That is definitely a shitty thing to hear. Sorry, mate. I hope the best for your dog and family. I for one, am a huge lover of animals. They make the world a much better place. biggrin.gif

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 28 2012, 11:56 PM
Sorry to hear sad.gif Pets are family so it's never easy when they start to fade. I've lost pets before and it always feels like losing a relative.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 27 2012, 03:47 AM) *
We have a few pets including our 6 year old rescue dog. He'd been losing weight, was off his food, showed some signs of anemia and had had a couple of bad nose bleeds last wek
so we took him to the local vet. She said that she thought that he had a hernia but recommended that we have him x-rayed, nmr scanned and blood tested. The blood tests have now come back and he has visceral leishmaniasis. That's an anti- immune condition spread by a parasite carried by a sandfly (the sandfly is actually a tiny mosquito and it also doesn't live in sand). He may have had the condition dormant for years. We actually had had him vaccinated against leishmania and he wore a special collar but to no avail. The condition isn't curable, it can only be managed. He'll now have to have a daily muscular injection for a month and he also have to take tablets for the rest of his life. The condition will eventually kill him as the parasite from the sandflies gradually build up an immunity to it. How long he lasts is anyone's guess, some dogs die after a few months but some live for several years.

My wife is being very stoic about it. She says she's glad just to know what is wrong with him and how to manage the condition.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 29 2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind thoughts smile.gif.

Momo has been quite perky the last few days as the drugs kick in. So he's now back to barking at blue tractors. He only ever barks at blue ones, never red or green ones and he doesn't have to see the tractor first befor he knows whether to bark or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 29 2012, 10:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 29 2012, 10:18 AM) *
Momo has been quite perky the last few days as the drugs kick in. So he's now back to barking at blue tractors. He only ever barks at blue ones, never red or green ones and he doesn't have to see the tractor first befor he knows whether to bark or not.

He's a tractor racist !!! laugh.gif

Good to hear he's got his mojo back, bless him smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 29 2012, 10:56 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 29 2012, 10:21 AM) *
He's a tractor racist !!! laugh.gif

But how does he know before he sees them Ben? Do blue ones sound different?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 29 2012, 08:11 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 29 2012, 10:56 AM) *
But how does he know before he sees them Ben? Do blue ones sound different?

Of course they sound different.....
dem's de Blues!!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 29 2012, 09:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 29 2012, 08:11 PM) *
Of course they sound different.....
dem's de Blues!!!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

thats so funny SJ , glad your dog feeling better tony

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 30 2012, 10:57 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Damn, that's so sad Toni, really sorry to hear that sad.gif

I too am afraid of leishmaniasis, and hope my dog never catches it. I also thought about the vaccine. By the way, to take that vaccine the dog needs to be tested beforehand to check if he already had it. Didn't the vet detect that when he did the test? That he already had it?

I'm on the fence on giving mine the vaccine. I read about some pretty nasty reactions to it in certain cases, so I'm not going to do it. Besides I live in the north, and it's harder (though not impossible) to get leishmaniasis over here.

Again, really sorry to hear that man sad.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 30 2012, 11:21 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Sep 30 2012, 10:57 AM) *
Damn, that's so sad Toni, really sorry to hear that sad.gif

I too am afraid of leishmaniasis, and hope my dog never catches it. I also thought about the vaccine. By the way, to take that vaccine the dog needs to be tested beforehand to check if he already had it. Didn't the vet detect that when he did the test? That he already had it?

I'm on the fence on giving mine the vaccine. I read about some pretty nasty reactions to it in certain cases, so I'm not going to do it. Besides I live in the north, and it's harder (though not impossible) to get leishmaniasis over here.

Again, really sorry to hear that man sad.gif

Hi Fran,
Yes sadly leishmania really is a big problem all over Southern Spain and the Mediterranean. I hope your dog doesn't get it, hopefully you should be ok as it's a lot safer up in the North.

Mo was tested before his vaccination but it is quite possible that his blood count level was low enough to avoid detection. The vaccine doesn't guarantee immunity as there are a lot of different strains of leishmania and the vaccine only immunises against some. We thought that we were being extra cautious by fitting the collar as well but it wasn't enough.

The vaccine is nasty, Mo had a reaction to it, and given that it isn't 100% I can understand your concerns about it. Given the chance again I think we'd opt only for the collar. The collar however can give some dogs a nasty skin conditiion...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 30 2012, 04:49 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Yeah I tried scalibor collar on my dog but it gave him a rash on the neck and he wasn't acting normal, it's a small dog so he is more sensitive I guess.

I use advantix K9 though, which is supposed to repel the bug.

This post has been edited by Fran: Sep 30 2012, 04:49 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:59 PM