Major Scale Improv, What position do i use?
Arizona11
Dec 15 2015, 11:15 AM
GMC:er
Ive been trying to work on my lead solo improvisation skills, and a HUGE influence of mine is C.C Deville from Poison, i love his playing technique. I was wondering when im playing in a major progression..how do i know which mode too start playing in...also..how do I figure out which chords make up a scale ...:s

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 15 2015, 06:08 PM
Instructor
Hi Arizona! Your question is really wide but I'll try to guide you here to organize which things you need to learn in order to know the things that you are asking. It would be really helpful to know what's your theory knowledge and if you know how to play major scales on guitar. Also, it can be helpful to guide you if you have any progression or backing track as an example in which you don't know what scale play.

You need to know some theory concepts in this specific order: intervals, triads/chords, scales and tonalities.

Do you know about those concepts?

If not this is where you should start:

Finding the key of a song: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3160

Intervals: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry644329

Major scale: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48825

Triads: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48859

Please check those threads and let know all your questions.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Arizona11
Dec 15 2015, 10:34 PM
GMC:er
My theory is not very good at all....Major triads and intervals are all new too me..which is bad considering ive been playing for 5 years now. However when it comes to major scales...Ive been learning the "3 note per string" version of the major scales, (mainly just memorizing the patterns, not the notes..) . Is this learning this 3 notes per string version the wrong way?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 16 2015, 01:39 PM
Instructor
Well, it's not the wrong way but maybe, if this is the first scale that you've learnt you will find yourself going up and down on it and a bit lost because of the quantity of notes. When improvising, you need to identify strong notes at each moments and build melodies around them, that are basically the notes of the chord (and some nice extensions) sounding in the backing track.

I wonder if you have seen this course: HERE

We are just starting, it's about improvisation and the first topic is Major scale.

Let me know if you'd like to join!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:22 PM