Superior Drummer 2.2.3 In Full Action, Epic drumming content
The Uncreator
Jun 2 2012, 02:57 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/extinction-swarming-the-sun

Title says it all, shortly after the narrative you'll hear my new "kit". Worked a long time on it, and I think sounds suitably epic, hope you enjoy!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 2 2012, 03:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Very nice, Brett. smile.gif (If I may call you that on GMC.) I just posted like ... a bunch of comments on your song, as you no doubt already noticed. biggrin.gif

What is the structure of your songs you like to do the most? Do you ever have two completely different choruses in one song? I am trying that in one of my songs. And I have several spots for solos.

And how did you get those narratives to sound that way?

Brandon

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 2 2012, 03:34 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The narratives are just that epic. Its from the video game "Mass Effect" - a famous conversation you have with a super-sentient machine named Sovereign. Aside from adding the texture in the background which is from Omnisphere, the voice is recorded directly from my TV using a friends HDPVR device, so thats the raw audio.

As for what inspired it? I dont know, some bands have done it that I love, although the game itself did it for me. I played Mass Effect when it debuted, in 2007. I began writing this story which started with this song in 2009 or 2010, I was sitting in front of my computer with a blank wordpad in front of me, and I recalled this part of the game (as I was playing ME2 at the time). And just like that, at the speed of a single though, this entire story was written. Quite literally this entire saga took about half a second to write in my head. Coalescing those thoughts and dreams though, is taking years. laugh.gif

I approach all songs with pretty much zero structure, I have songs with no choruses, some with two, and I had one with no repeating riffs. If I ever repeat a chorus, they are usually separated by a good time distance, and I never repeat the lyrics. I want that feeling of progression and development, this song is but one part of a massive interconnecting story, so I want to have as much detail as possible. In the event of it not being part of something bigger, I usually write different choruses just out of pure interest, I want the challenge, and I want to make the world I am creating as deep as possible.

Also, about 90% of the time I write lyrics first. All my songs are written firstly for a singular purpose: an alternate reality, one in which I can express thoughts through fictional creation, and lyrics help me establish the mood I want, which in turn kick starts my writing. Its much quicker, despite being 15 minutes long these riffs were written in about 6 hours (not including arrangement) which is pretty fast (for me).

Although, if you write something and it feels natural, feels right, dont even bother analyzing it further. Dont worry about if its typical, or something someone else would do. Because in the end, the music is for you. A lot of people ask why I have strange things like sudden bursts into a complete verse (like this drum intro into the main verse, like someone on FB mentioned earlier), or why I have very few connecting riffs (in reference to TCE, which has several different riffs, a big separation of almost 9 minutes, and then a return) - but it just felt right, so thats all I need to know.

If I could find it, I'd show you a song I had called "Asleep In The Sun" which was 8 minutes and had about 15 riffs, never repeating either, it was really strange but I liked it.

EDIT

The guitars are Peavey Revalver, with RedWirez Impulses.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2012, 03:45 AM
GMC:er
Nice! Very cool integration of the Mass Effects bit as well. The whole thing works well together as almost Mashup style composition. Kit works well too! Congrats

Todd

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 1 2012, 09:57 PM) *
http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/extinction-swarming-the-sun

Title says it all, shortly after the narrative you'll hear my new "kit". Worked a long time on it, and I think sounds suitably epic, hope you enjoy!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 3 2012, 12:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for that awesome reply, man. wink.gif I wish my computer could handle impulses.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:42 AM