4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Missing Gmc Lessons?, What styles do you want?
DeepRoots
Jul 2 2008, 10:37 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Id love to see some Guthrie too, also, Greg Howe! I love their approach to fusion

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jul 2 2008, 10:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jul 2 2008, 04:37 PM) *
Id love to see some Guthrie too, also, Greg Howe! I love their approach to fusion

I totally agree with you , and more than the lesson I think we need the theory , or a "how to improvise/write a Fusion song". Because you can learn to play a lesson , but I think we are here to learn how to write our own music.

So I vote for more fusion too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 2 2008, 10:45 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (stickyfingers @ Jul 2 2008, 02:45 PM) *
i'd love to see some lessons for experimental/metalcore/deathcore in drop c, especially on effective rhythmic design in crazy measures tongue.gif

but maybe that's just me tongue.gif

here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2QFDMlitsE

Hi, youre into the same music as me. I already requested that and its underway. The instructor who is making that lesson was the one in that awesome South African Metalcore/ emocore band. He taught us a legato with tapping lesson. Sorry I dont remember his name (but i remember he used an ESP guitar). He's coming up with a metalcore riffing lesson soon. Deathcore is extremely similar to metalcore so just learn some As Blood Runs Black and Job for a Cowboy songs and youve got that covered too.

About crazy measures (think youre talking bout timing stuff like 12/8 time). I dont understand it so dont see a point in doing it (im just close minded). But would be cool. Need to refresh on Andrews timing theory lessons.

Id like more pentatonic shred lessons.

This post has been edited by jammer91: Jul 2 2008, 10:46 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 2 2008, 11:27 PM
Pentatonic shred - yes, please! laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
stickyfingers
Jul 3 2008, 11:30 AM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Jul 2 2008, 11:45 PM) *
Hi, youre into the same music as me. I already requested that and its underway. The instructor who is making that lesson was the one in that awesome South African Metalcore/ emocore band. He taught us a legato with tapping lesson. Sorry I dont remember his name (but i remember he used an ESP guitar). He's coming up with a metalcore riffing lesson soon. Deathcore is extremely similar to metalcore so just learn some As Blood Runs Black and Job for a Cowboy songs and youve got that covered too.

About crazy measures (think youre talking bout timing stuff like 12/8 time). I dont understand it so dont see a point in doing it (im just close minded). But would be cool. Need to refresh on Andrews timing theory lessons.

Id like more pentatonic shred lessons.

that sounds promising, i'll take a look at the bands you mentioned smile.gif

different measures add a nice twist to your riffing. in that style of music rhythm is one of the key features to create something unique sounding.

in that respect and in light of the complex harmonies used by modern metalcore bands, they often sound like ultra-heavy-jazzers to me. wink.gif

This post has been edited by stickyfingers: Jul 3 2008, 11:31 AM

--------------------
Equip:
Ibanez RG 570
Ibanez RG 547
Boss GT-10
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Ibanez WD7
Fender Deluxe 112 Reverb

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 3 2008, 12:11 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Celtic, Buckethead, Fusion (Guthrie Govan) and Rock Ballads (in that order).

And also some lessons on composing (full tracks as well not just guitar parts).

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 3 2008, 12:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah pentatonic shred and whammy bar soloing-Slayer style... thrash soloing in general

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Jul 3 2008, 12:13 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jul 3 2008, 01:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jul 3 2008, 07:26 AM) *
Id say just about 99% of the list wink.gif

I rarely venture away from fusion, prog metal, classical music and thrash metal, you gotta realise that many people have a favourite type of music and don't listen to "everything".

Though i just mentioned the youtube links for ease of use..it kind of beats- copy paste into wikipedia...copy paste into youtube...scroll...guess....click...

Even if the instructor is unfamiliar- they can just click the link and create a similar lesson right away...

But still- this is your thread Sir, i didnt mean to tread on your toes wink.gif

Hi DR,
I just tried searching Wikipedia and then Youtube for examples on the list ....... three hours later I have examples for 9 of the styles!!! Not as easy as I thought. It's difficult to find videos of reasonable quality. Anyhow, I will edit the post and add an example of each of the styles. Hope to have them available by tomorrow. Hopefully you will check them out and give me some feedback .... treat it as research. It's not so much about the artists in the videos but the different guitar styles. New styles are usually created from combining existing styles, so why not broaden your knowledge (I just discovered Folk Metal). I guess my musical taste is fairly diverse, from Thirties swing jazz to metal, and almost everything in between. Just can't get enough of different styles. And no, my toes don't feel trodden on smile.gif .

Cheers.

+Quote Post
BodomESP
Jul 4 2008, 02:15 AM
Yea I have to say I'd like more technical metal lessons. Something like this would be really cool! http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIhKzi2ZuTU

Also more metal soloing lessons would be excellent!

Some song writing lessons would also be very helpful. Kinda something like Lian's doing right now.

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jul 4 2008, 02:20 AM
Something that is unbelievably heavy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris-triff
Jul 4 2008, 04:05 PM
id like some intresting heavy ballads thats always cool
or some melodical ballads

This post has been edited by Chris-triff: Jul 4 2008, 04:10 PM

--------------------
Music, Music is life man.

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jul 4 2008, 04:30 PM
Hey, nice poll (:

I'd like to see more southern rock / "Highway rock" like Saliva on the Survival of the Sickest album. They have medium heavy riffs and old school like solo's on that album that sounds really nice ( Links: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GZjelOVCm84 and http://youtube.com/watch?v=h0dJex4m-jU&feature=related )

And old school Don Felder style, before his eagle days (Like Don Felder - Heavy Metal: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JNG_Kn-m73M&feature=related) Thats ace guitar playing in my ears smile.gif

And maybe Sonic Mayhem'ish, I don't really know how to categorize that .. Links: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UupqwDn3gRw Thats a Sonic Mayhem track for Quake II video game with overdub by Chris Lynd

- Rooks

This post has been edited by Rooks: Jul 4 2008, 04:35 PM

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Jul 4 2008, 05:19 PM
I was wondering if you could do a lesson with harmonizing guitars (is it possible to have 3 harmonizing guitars as our guitar sessions involve 3 GMC guitar players) perhaps in the style of Thin Lizzy (or transition from Thin Lizzy to Iron Maiden/Judas Priest).

This post has been edited by TheOldOnes: Jul 4 2008, 05:20 PM

+Quote Post
Mick Hurst
Jul 4 2008, 06:12 PM
Hi There, I would like more rock or blues ballads where timing and emotion or feel is involved, and the art and craft of using major and minor pentatonic scales. It is only a personal opinion but I'd rather hear such artists as early Peter Green, Santana, Garry moore and Eric Bell in whiskey in the jar (origanal version), much more than the shred get as many notes in a minute as possible genda, I am from a older generation as I'm im my fifties and I know the youth of today seem to prefer the speed stuff. But unless they see examples and hear what emotion can be created with the guitar, it will be a beautiful art form that could be lost for ever.

Many thanks
Mick. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Mick Hurst[size=4]

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 4 2008, 06:19 PM
I'm with you, Mick! smile.gif

That's why my new favorite instructor (you are all great!) is Henry.
Talk about phrasing and emotion! laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Siggum
Jul 4 2008, 06:20 PM
QUOTE (Mick Hurst @ Jul 4 2008, 07:12 PM) *
Hi There, I would like more rock or blues ballads where timing and emotion or feel is involved, and the art and craft of using major and minor pentatonic scales. It is only a personal opinion but I'd rather hear such artists as early Peter Green, Santana, Garry moore and Eric Bell in whiskey in the jar (origanal version), much more than the shred get as many notes in a minute as possible genda, I am from a older generation as I'm im my fifties and I know the youth of today seem to prefer the speed stuff. But unless they see examples and hear what emotion can be created with the guitar, it will be a beautiful art form that could be lost for ever.

Many thanks
Mick. rolleyes.gif

I hear ya biggrin.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
bham
Jul 5 2008, 12:42 AM
more metalcore!

an underoath style lesson would be sweet (like, songwriting, not just guitarwork):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPFi2LE8P68

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 5 2008, 12:47 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I know people will disagree but GMC already has lots of metal lessons, and although they don't cover all the styles of metal there are only 1 or 2 or even 0 of some of the styles up the top. Still more metal can never be bad. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Matt23: Jul 5 2008, 12:48 AM

+Quote Post
skennington
Jul 5 2008, 01:37 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
My request would be " How You Compose". I think Matt may have mentioned earlier. Not how you improvise but how you actually start writing your own music. Do you start with the drum's and then write over the beat ( what I do by the way) or do you start with a melody that you have in your head and add the part's with your feelings, that sort of thing.

I'm into anything musical (except for hip hop/rap) and would love to see how you guys start with your own music. It would be great IMO, if an instructor would actually document how an original song came together. May take some time, but I think it would help others tremendously to see how a song came together from thought to recording. Maybe video the progress along the way as some sort of "Song Diary Lesson" so to speak.

I think all you guys are great and by the way Col, nice topic! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jul 5 2008, 03:59 AM
As already mentioned, I would like some folk lessons. Even though my subscribtion is on hold now, I'll definetly get some use out of it when I resubscribe after this summer.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:31 AM