Does Anyone Have Experience With A Fender Super Champ Amplifier?
Praetorian
Mar 18 2009, 01:15 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I messed around with a used one at Guitar Center today...sounded pretty good! Anyone ever spend a lot of time with one? What are your impressions?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Super-C...281-i1371514.gc

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Mar 18 2009, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
haha, you're a smart man Praetorian. I've owned one for about 8 months now. I went into guitar center wanting to buy the Vox modeling amp, but the salesman here told me I would be happier with this. For once, they were actually right D:. I sat there for hours comparing it to the Vox, a Peavey Vyper, a Micro Cube, and something else. The Superchamp blew them all out of the water.

Doesn't do metal well (who looks to a fender for metal anyways?) but it handles just about everything else. Line it up with a decent strat, a nice overdrive pedal, and you've got a pretty good blues combo cool.gif. Switch to the british channels, grab a les paul, and it rocks with the hardest. Its even hard to tell its a modeling amp. Basically, its one of the best amps for the price. You won't be disappointed.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Mar 18 2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I have one! Initially I went for a Blackstar HT5, but after long deliberation I went for this one. I really liked its smooth, clean tones and it handles distortion pretty well, too. My guitar teacher who exclusively plays Marshall tubes was pleasantly surprised.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Mar 18 2009, 01:32 PM
QUOTE (Fullmetal_Tmd @ Mar 17 2009, 11:38 PM) *
haha, you're a smart man Praetorian. I've owned one for about 8 months now. I went into guitar center wanting to buy the Vox modeling amp, but the salesman here told me I would be happier with this. For once, they were actually right D:. I sat there for hours comparing it to the Vox, a Peavey Vyper, a Micro Cube, and something else. The Superchamp blew them all out of the water.

Doesn't do metal well (who looks to a fender for metal anyways?) but it handles just about everything else. Line it up with a decent strat, a nice overdrive pedal, and you've got a pretty good blues combo cool.gif. Switch to the british channels, grab a les paul, and it rocks with the hardest. Its even hard to tell its a modeling amp. Basically, its one of the best amps for the price. You won't be disappointed.

Would a Metal Muff help with the metal sound? I almost exclusively play blues and rock...but tend to play some metal now and then. I have a Metal Muff pedal...would that do the trick?

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 18 2009, 03:45 PM
Instructor
I don't own neither the Champ or MM, but I bet the salesman will let you try your MM pedal with the champ in the store wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Mar 18 2009, 03:56 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 18 2009, 10:45 AM) *
I don't own neither the Champ or MM, but I bet the salesman will let you try your MM pedal with the champ in the store wink.gif

Yeah...I think I will cart it up there to try it out!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Mar 18 2009, 03:59 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Mar 18 2009, 07:32 AM) *
Would a Metal Muff help with the metal sound? I almost exclusively play blues and rock...but tend to play some metal now and then. I have a Metal Muff pedal...would that do the trick?

Yeah, the Metal Muff sounds awesome with the Superchamp. I used to have one myself, and I could get the br00talz very easily smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Mar 18 2009, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Mar 18 2009, 01:32 PM) *

My more experienced friend who plays exclusively metal disliked my distortion pedal for his music with it (DS1) but said the metal tones were more than sufficient with the pedal he was using, even when using my single coil'ed strat. I don't know which pedal he was using, though. I'll ask him.

Edit: Boss MT-2

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Mar 18 2009, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
inertia
Mar 20 2009, 02:41 AM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Mar 18 2009, 10:56 AM) *
Yeah...I think I will cart it up there to try it out!

I have the superchamp and the metal muff, it sounds awesome.
For metal I actually really like using one of the british models (based on a marshall) without about 1/2 gain and then use an overdrive pedal in front, I use an OCD and sounds amazing. I'm buying an mi audio crunch box and I think that will sound even better with it. Overall a great amp, try getting the footswitch too, it's really nice to have.
I agree with what has been said that the metal voicings (there are 2 of them) aren't that great, pretty noisey...but the marshall tones with an overdrive will get you great 80s hairmetal and beyond, but if you want more modern high gain stuff then a metal pedal like the muff or digitech hardwire tl2 will get you there in spades, the clean channel on the amp takes pedals very well.

Cheers

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 20 2009, 07:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'd love to have something like a guitar centre anywhere close tongue.gif Would be awesome!

Is this one 15 Watt? I think that's just fine for home practice wink.gif If you want some more versatality, I have the Vox AD 50 VT and it has a real cool sound from jazzy to smooth rock tones to trebly metal, and it has a power reducer, so it goes from 1 watt to 50 watt with a turning knob, so you can just turn it up and keep volume high! It's tube in the preamp btw, if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:18 PM