I Dont Know Which Guitar To Buy?!?
Connie4
Feb 27 2009, 09:37 PM
GMC:er
Ok so this is how the things are:
- I am a rookie
- I want an allround electric guitar (I like the clean sound, but I like a lot of distortion too;)) (important)
- I DO care about the looks tongue.gif ( I like it slick, not to overdone)
- I want to spend 450 euros at most!(~575 dollar)
- I also still need an amp

I play guitar seriously for about 2 months now, and I have borrowed a Squire stratocaster (from SebastiaanNL, thx!) and a cheap orange amp (from timono, thx!). I am not satisfied with borrowing all my stuff, so I want to buy a guitar.

I was thinking about the 3 following guitars:
The Yamaha RGX A2 (Info: http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/reviews/e...maha-rgxa2.htm)
The Epiphone SG G-400 ''1966'' ( http://www.feedback.nl/?b=EP1966SGCH&a= <- Dutch site)
The Ibanez SAS 32 EX WH ( http://www.piens.com/product/Ibanez/SAS-32-EX-WH/nl/55353 <- best info i could find)

Can anyone help me?

OK, so 1 more thing:
My amp.
I want an amp for 250 euros (~315 dollar). It has to be transportable by bike. Anyone any ideas?
(All the same as with the guitar: I like it clean and distorted tongue.gif)

Thanks in advance!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Connie4: Feb 27 2009, 09:39 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SebastiaanNL
Feb 27 2009, 09:43 PM
You can have my Peavey Backstage too!:)..

I was planning to burn it so...

on-topic->...the yamaha link is not working

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/rgxa2/0,,CNT...3D62690,00.html

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Feb 27 2009, 09:52 PM
Instructor
I voted for Yamaha one, they are so cool.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 27 2009, 10:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
That would be some additions...

http://www.thomann.de/de/epiphone_lp_stand...lain_top_hb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/schecter_diamond_damien_6_sbk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_rg350dx_egitarre_wh.htm

And for an amp:

http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_vypyr_30.htm

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Feb 27 2009, 10:43 PM
Connie,

As a fellow rookie (half a year) and Dutchman I can only advise you to go to a music shop like Feedback Rotterdam and try whatever you can find there. Don't buy from the web without having played at least the same model, and even then I was advised that EVERY guitar is different. One fender strat standard from '01 might play very differently from the same-colour fender strat standard from '01, for example.

Feedback is an amazing shop and has some pretty good prices for Dutch standards, and they have a pretty good selection. There are also some pretty good shops in Amsterdam and Kees Dee and such are pretty good shops too.

I played that particular SG and Ibanez at Feedback, even though 6 months in I've already acquired a taste for Fender, I really liked both, but especially the Ibanez. I only tried it without amplification though, but it felt really slick in my hands.

Also, for amps - I am selling a Vox DA5 on Marktplaats for a very cheap price. Very easily transported and it sounds pretty dang good for such a small thing. Otherwise for 250 euros you could get a Fender Vibro Champ, I really liked the tones coming out of that thing. Latter might not be great for distortion though. I like playing clean a lot.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 27 2009, 11:39 PM
Instructor
I would agree with Zakk, my suggestion would be:

EPIPHONE LP STANDARD PLAIN TOP HB

As for the amp, it's pretty difficult to find something that is portable on a bike. This is my suggestion, but I don't think it's to bike-portable:
VOX VT30

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Feb 28 2009, 01:46 AM
My amp vote would be a Peavey Royal 8 (5W tube). Sells for $230 cdn (so 145 euros). It's only got 3 knobs, gain, volume, & tone.
Chances are, if your only playing 2 months, you don't know how to properly set an EQ anyways. AND IT'S TUBE!!!
Attached Image

For guitar:
ESP LTD H251
It has EMG's made for ltd Esp's. This sells for $510 cdn (320 euros).
Attached Image

This will also leave you with money to buy a couple pedals, & a nice case for the guitar etc..

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Feb 28 2009, 01:51 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Feb 28 2009, 05:32 AM
Instructor
Get a used carvin bolt on on ebay......you won´t be desapointed.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Feb 28 2009, 05:42 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Try this bad boy on for size
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=511474

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Feb 28 2009, 11:16 AM
Many of the guitars mentioned in this topic are somewhat rare in the Netherlands. In shops both small and large it's usually Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Epiphone and Squier and some assorted less-known stuff.

Edit: However, if you can find some of those rarer brands, more power to you. smile.gif I have found that they tend to only have the high end stuff on Dutch shops when it comes to 'exotic' brands.

This post has been edited by Pavlov: Feb 28 2009, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Feb 28 2009, 03:05 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
My suggestion would be a Yamaha Pacifica. I had one as my first guitar and LOVED it! It was a single, single, humbucker setup also so you could get those clean sounds you want as well as distortion. Great guitar for a great price. Look up a Pacifica 012 or 112.

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 28 2009, 07:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
ATM, you can buy a Vox AD 50 VT on Marktplaats (Dutch kinda Craiglist) for about 150 euros! That's great value, and more important, a great amp! For guitars.. You only play two months? I'd buy a Ibanez Gio, for instance the gSA-60, or a lower end Epiphone.

EDIT: Zakk's suggestion for the peavey might be a nice idea tongue.gif Peavey is always good xD Also, think about what kind of tremolo you want. If you want one.. There's a big difference between the Floyd rose tremolos and the "Fender style" ones. On this site, the brand Schecter has come by a lot of times as being very good for the price. Also the Yamaha Pacifica, as Praetorian said is a beginner classic tongue.gif

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Feb 28 2009, 07:17 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Feb 28 2009, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 27 2009, 12:39 PM) *

As for the amp, it's pretty difficult to find something that is portable on a bike. This is my suggestion, but I don't think it's to bike-portable:
VOX VT30

I'd have to say Zakk & Ivan have a great idea... I also like the MIM (made in Mexico) Strats that I think fall in your price range? I only know American $?
cool.gif But the Vox + Epiphone Les Paul is a can't lose scenario cool.gif

This post has been edited by Hammerhead: Feb 28 2009, 08:02 PM

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2009, 01:55 AM
Instructor
Yes I agree, MIM strat is a good guitar to think about if you like single coils! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
GrannyKiller
Mar 4 2009, 03:08 PM
If you're able to squeeze a lil' bit more cash, you can also look into B.C.Rich guitars, they're among the best in their price range, IMHO. biggrin.gif

I own this one, a find it a great deal better than any ESP, Cort, or Schecter I tried in that price range. Neck-through construction, mahogany body, Rockfield pickups, additional controls...dunno, I love their whole series, very very versatile... :

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=512669

My friend has this one, great as well:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=512668

Dunno 'bout Ibanez and Epi though...

--------------------
A kick in the butt is only another step forward...

.:G.E.A.R:.

Guitars: B.C.Rich Assasin QX6 // Jolana Galaxis (modded by me) // Melodija Menges nylon-acoustic // Vintage EJM-96 Bass

Amps: Marshall AVT50X combo // Roland MicroCube // some cr***y old Newport with a 12" speaker

Effects: Boss GT-10

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 4 2009, 03:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have good experience with Yamaha guitars. My old Yamaha AES800 is a dream to play.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 4 2009, 04:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
A brand sold in Holland is Richwood. They have some really cool guitars, like a Les Paul model. I onwed a second hand Richwood Strat (70 euros tongue.gif ) and it actaly played quite nice!

A brand sold in Holland is Richwood. They have some really cool guitars, like a Les Paul model. I onwed a second hand Richwood Strat (70 euros tongue.gif ) and it actaly played quite nice!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 4 2009, 05:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
The yamaha link didnt work mate, the Epi is a good looking guitar but they are purposely "Downbuilt" to keep the quality away from the Gibsons so be wary, an Ibanez without a locking trem is something to be very wary of in my opinion.

I have a mexi-strat which I adore to play, they are vastly underrated guitars and dont suffer any interference from Fender USA, the new road worn series are actually considered better than the USA standards by some (Cue controversy!) they also have the most diverse range of upgrade possibilities as you develop as a player, I have just had some Texas special PUP's fitted to mine and they are sublime, you find these in guitars over 1000 sterling which says it all!

There is a reason they are the most copied guitar mate, go try one in a decent amp and you will be amazed, if you like i will do a few sound samples of mine, but only if you want them.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 5 2009, 12:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 27 2009, 11:39 PM) *

VOX VT30

I really agree with that suggestion aswell. I've tried quite a few Epi LP's over the years, and i havent played one i didnt like. I also had a similar vox not so long ago, the AD-VT 2x12 50w version which i was quite pleased with.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:56 PM