Curious Coincidence
fkalich
May 11 2008, 03:33 PM
GMC:er
Last week Andrew stated in a thread the answer to how he came here, two words, "curious coincidence".

being that it is sunday and I am picking my 2 lessons to learn this week (41 down, about 100 or so to go), i had that in my mind. When I first came here, honestly, I was not crazy about it, and it was too hard anyway. But now it is not, and I think it is pretty cool sounding.

I noticed only a couple of people on the lesson. But I think everyone should learn this. Keep this in mind. He is using no echo or digital stuff, just guitar, and little backing. We all know, that we can be playing with backing and echo, and think it sounds great. then turn off the junk and we sound like crap, and know we have work to do. He sounds great just straight guitar.

But Kris does something that nobody (in my opinion) here does better, he articulates his notes, very sharp attack, very precise. Listen, even at speed, you can hear every single note! Crisply. This is my major issue with your run of the mill youtube fast guy. Can you even pick out their notes? Heck no, they only hit about half of them cleanly, put on some echo, and a thick backing track, the youtube audience sucks it up and says "you can rock". Who knows the difference except you and God and other musicians. And if you don't believe in God, that narrows it even more.

But if you really want to learn, as I do, well time to master Curious Coincidence. I recommend it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 11 2008, 04:01 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I agree fkalich. I'm interested so off to the lesson I go!
Thanks for bringing up a great point!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
May 11 2008, 04:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Curious coincidence was probably the thing that made me say "hey, not only is this guy funny but he can play guitar too!" and made me sign up for GMC smile.gif Like you though I wrote it off as too hard at the time, but I think I could tackle it now. I'm doing some heavy experimenting with new chords and arpeggios lately though, I'm sure I'll learn it soon though. Thanks for the heads up, I thought it would probably be a good piece to learn.

Make sure to check out the "fusion solo" and "the motto is oops", too. Kris is a really unique and cool player. I bet he's gotten even better too in the last few months, I'd like to hear more nocturnal visions biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Canis
May 11 2008, 05:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
Seems like many people have a "Aha-experience" while learning this song ^^
I still think it's a bit above my league though... I'll go though it to look for the more easier bits I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 11 2008, 05:26 PM
I tried tackling the lesson about two weeks ago, but Kris has such a unique sense of timing and his phrasing is also quite unique.. so I gave up on it for now hehe.. will probably get on it eventually when I get more time smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
May 11 2008, 05:28 PM
I've noticed......
Chris plays SUPER SUPER cleanly........... Jealousy rears its ugly head.....then envy. He tends to use some very unforgiving sounds at times which makes it even more impressive....

This post has been edited by USAMAN: May 11 2008, 05:30 PM

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 11 2008, 06:36 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks for the awesome comments on my playing, it feels very good to hear you say this! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Also - this lesson was the second lesson ever at GMC - which makes it really cool! The solo does contain lots of different techniques - so if you get inspired by listening to it - I am sure there is something in it for any level of playing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 11 2008, 06:38 PM
well the thing is, even if you can't do it at this time, you work for it, you know it is there. I can now do the fast AP where you hear that sharp pick strike each time, within limits, working to be able to do it all over the board as go, with all the fingerings. but when I first saw Kris play, I knew it was there. Listen to Gilbert to, that really sharp distinct pick attack, where you can clearly hear every note. And with timing.

now some guys may not like that, they may prefer softer legato pulloffs. but for me, for the most point....ATTACK is the order of the day!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
skennington
May 11 2008, 06:54 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Been practicing the "CC Exercises" video and man, definitely something to shoot for. Lonf term goal for me at this point. tongue.gif

You gotta love those dance moves Kris has in the main video as well. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 11 2008, 07:12 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ May 11 2008, 07:38 PM) *
well the thing is, even if you can't do it at this time, you work for it, you know it is there. I can now do the fast AP where you hear that sharp pick strike each time, within limits, working to be able to do it all over the board as go, with all the fingerings. but when I first saw Kris play, I knew it was there. Listen to Gilbert to, that really sharp distinct pick attack, where you can clearly hear every note. And with timing.

now some guys may not like that, they may prefer softer legato pulloffs. but for me, for the most point....ATTACK is the order of the day!!!!!!!

Yeah Paul Gilbert also has extreme sharp pick attack, and not to mention petrucci..

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 11 2008, 10:59 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Thanks for pointing out at this ultra cool lesson smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 12 2008, 04:56 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ May 11 2008, 10:01 AM) *
I agree fkalich. I'm interested so off to the lesson I go!
Thanks for bringing up a great point!

make sure you check out the exercise lesson with the same title. That is the one I am doing this week, because I already am doing Brian May. Then next week I do the full Curious lesson, better prepared. I don't want to add two much every week, as I have 41 others to keep cycling though, trying to improve.

+Quote Post
SensE
May 12 2008, 05:18 AM
Curious Coincidence ! Sigh. I'm practising sweep nowadays. I already added this into my "playlist".

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 12 2008, 06:07 AM
QUOTE (SensE @ May 11 2008, 11:18 PM) *
Curious Coincidence ! Sigh. I'm practising sweep nowadays. I already added this into my "playlist".

how are things in Wichita? I feel that sweeps help your AP play tremendously. Both the 5 and 3 string sweeps. They are quite different. But they develop finger dexterity, and that translates to AP speed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:32 PM