2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Smooth Jazz Collab Mixed, Comments are here!
David Wallimann
May 30 2008, 10:49 PM
Instructor
It’s finally here! The Smooth Jazz collab is mixed and comments are here! I had great pleasure listening to your entries and you all did a wonderful job. All your leads are unique and everyone brought something interesting. I think you all have something very important to offer here and I tried to expose what I liked about them
For those who missed my take on this, check out the Smooth Jazz lesson.
Enjoy!

Attached File  Smooth_Jazz_mix.mp3 ( 8.43MB ) Number of downloads: 371

Ballistic 31
Good chops my friend. I like your alternate picking in this one. Your lead is well developed and prepared. Some tempo problems occur on the fast alternate picking run which could be easily fixed with patient metronome repetitive workout. Start on a very comfortable tempo and increase very gradually. If you work with your metronome on a steady basis, you’ll correct that problem in no time. Good job!

Chast
I like the intro to your lead. It builds up quite nicely and really gives the color of the Dorian mode. My suggestion to you would be to take that theme and add some more phrasing tools. Take one of the small licks you used and add to it more expression. It could be done by approaching a note with a bend, or maybe a few chromatic notes every once in a while. That will help your sense of melody shine.

Eddiecat
I enjoyed this take for its great rhythm phrasing. Your lead is very rich in that sense. Things are kept interesting with the use of repetition. That is something to remember, the human ear is always “attracted” to something when it recognizes it. You managed to create that with some recurring rhythm motifs. Good swing and great use of the Dorian scale. Nicely done!

Hammerin Hank
Your sound is very appropriate for this style of music. I admire your phrasing my friend. It’s indeed very smooth. Some of the licks you used are very interesting and have a swing to them that draws the listener in. Your sense of rhythm and swing are present through the whole track and keep the audience fascinated. Great job!

Illuha
I like the way your lead builds up and renews itself on the beginning of each measure. A little suggestion, or idea to work on, would be to try focusing landing on alternative notes not found in the main C minor 7 chord. Try landing on the 9th or the Major 6th to open things up a bit. To do that, locate these notes within the scale box you decide to use and simply build your idea thinking about approaching that chosen note. That will expand your ideas a lot I think and make a good lead even better. Good work!

ItsMe
There are some great ideas in here. I love the way your licks breathe and keep the improvisation interesting. You’re kind of playing a bit after the time which is wonderfully appropriate here. It gives your lead a laid back feel. You have a good technique and nice bluesy phrasing. Great job!

Leedbreak
You have a recognizable touch my friend. Your rhythm motifs are distinctive and I would develop that. You went a bit off scale on the last measure using a minor 6th instead of the major 6th of the Dorian mode. That’s something to watch while phrasing in Dorian as these two notes will clash together. My suggestion here would be to try approaching not so common notes and rest on them to open up your lead. The 9th is always a nice way to start opening things up. Add a bit more silences in your lead between your rhythm motifs will help a lot too. Keep exploring these things my friend, good work!

Organised Confusion
I hear some good ideas in this one! Good use of the Dorian color and nice rhythm approach too. I like the chord approach you have on the 6th measure. Very jazzy! As I suggested to previous leads, I think you would gain from trying to focus on the 9th and Major 6th to open up your ideas a bit. Adding a bit of expression with bends and other guitar tricks would help too. Other than that you did a good job. Keep up the hard work!

Siggum
Man, you phrase really well! There is a great swing to you improve that is very interesting and captivating. I think we can all learn from your rhythm use. Your licks are all tied together and well in place. It gives your lead a real liveliness that reminds me of the way a sax player would improvise. Great work!

Skennington
You did good use of the scales suggested, great job! I think you have things to say in you lead. One thing I would watch is your silences. I noticed that your lead doesn’t have any silences and that would help all your musical idea have a much bigger impact to the listener. Try to imagine your guitar being an extension of your mouth. That will force you to breathe more and will make your playing more expressive. Keep up the good work!

Smells
Some of your ideas are very interesting here. I love your use of chromatic notes to emphasize your licks. Your use of silence between the licks is very well thought. The lick you used at the end of the second measure is very interesting and worth learning. One thing that I noticed in your lead that we should all learn from is the way you play some notes louder than others. It makes your lead alive. Very tasteful work!

Tjchep
I like the laid back feel you gave to this lead. Good choice of notes and nice use of the Dorian scale. You managed here to focus on the important notes and bring all the color of that mode to the listener. I like the control and vibrato you gave to your notes. Your approach to certain notes is very tasteful, especially when you use little slides to “dig” into the notes. The fast lick on measure 7 is a bit out of place in rhythm, a little extra work with Mr metronome should help you there. Good work!

Zizi Top
You have some great phrasing ideas here. I love your use of chords in the 3rd measure. Very jazzy my friend! Your rhythm is a bit laid back which is wonderfully appropriate. Great feel! I like the way all your licks lead to one another. It’s as if one as preparing the next. They seem to respond to each other in a very pleasant way. Great job and thanks for participating!

Coffeeman
Nice use of the chromatic scale! This is a great example of how to accentuate on certain notes by approaching them with chromatic ascending or descending notes. I like your choice of notes here, it sounds very Dorian. Your lead could benefit from a little extra work on your rhythm. This is nothing that you can’t fix though. I like your use of silence here, it makes al your ideas have more impact on the listener, good job!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coffeeman
May 30 2008, 10:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Excellent collab David, it is always a benefit to us to work on this mode collabs. Thanks for your words. What would you recommend me to work on my rythm?

Awesome takes everyone , this collab demonstates that we arn't just shredheads.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 30 2008, 11:03 PM
GMC:er
I'm useless as always sad.gif I wish I'd progress on guitar but I never seem to get anywhere. I don't even know what to work on anymore. I'm useless at everything. Great job by everybody else though. Some really awesome leads smile.gif

Thanks David for a great collab backing as always biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 30 2008, 11:23 PM
The Dark Canuck
Nice work everyone. It sounds great smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tjchep
May 30 2008, 11:26 PM
Great collab everyone.

Thanks for comments. man. Yeah.. that run totally didn't work. smile.gif.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
skennington
May 30 2008, 11:30 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Great Collab guys! I think you all did a great job. Thank's again David, awesome backing and great final mix. I'll take your advice and work on not "talking" so much. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 30 2008, 11:34 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
real smooth collab, some really nice takes, thanks for the comments David, I`ll work on the Jazz a bit more I think excellent job all round smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
eddiecat
May 30 2008, 11:37 PM
Thank you so much for everything.
You are helping me soooo much!
Any news about your instructional DVD?
Please PM me, I'll be happy to have a copy...
Eddie

+Quote Post
chast
May 30 2008, 11:46 PM
Learning Roadie
That one was a totally different collab, but it was something new smile.gif
I had a hard time with it, but thanks for the advice David biggrin.gif

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 31 2008, 12:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 30 2008, 05:57 PM) *
Excellent collab David, it is always a benefit to us to work on this mode collabs. Thanks for your words. What would you recommend me to work on my rythm?

Awesome takes everyone , this collab demonstates that we arn't just shredheads.

Thanks man,
I would take one of the licks you recorded, and play it with a metronome thinking about how the notes should be placed in tempo. Play it over and over so that it sounds "prepared" as oposed to improvised. Hope that makes sense!

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 30 2008, 06:03 PM) *
I'm useless as always sad.gif I wish I'd progress on guitar but I never seem to get anywhere. I don't even know what to work on anymore. I'm useless at everything. Great job by everybody else though. Some really awesome leads smile.gif

You did an awesome job! Not useless at all! :-)

QUOTE (eddiecat @ May 30 2008, 06:37 PM) *
Thank you so much for everything.
You are helping me soooo much!
Any news about your instructional DVD?
Please PM me, I'll be happy to have a copy...
Eddie

Thanks man, I'm having trouble for DVD quality, but it will happen!!! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 31 2008, 12:30 AM
Nice job everyone

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
May 31 2008, 05:02 AM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
I really enjoy listening to these collabs mixed together, it's great to hear all the different styles and ideas wrapped around the same rythym. Great job by all and thanks again David...love your collabs

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: May 31 2008, 05:04 AM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Siggum
May 31 2008, 08:56 AM
Great collab David, your backingtrack was really inspiring and thanks for the comments, once again everyone did great.

Looking forward to your next collab!

This post has been edited by Siggum: May 31 2008, 03:20 PM

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 31 2008, 11:35 AM
Instructor
Great collab Walli and participants ! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 31 2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks David, and also thanks for the tips, they should prove usefull smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 31 2008, 03:08 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
Wow great colab, the mix is great man smile.gif
by the way, i'm seeking for new tones, so you got any idea (i'm using a pod x3)
Thx for the backing track david .. can't wait for the next collab smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
ballistic31
May 31 2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks once again david for your kind words..I know what you are saying one the fast alternate picking part..The sad part is thats how i was trying to play it.lol I am just not very good at all the acent notes yet.. what im trying to do is as the scale decends trying to acent each of the notes on different strings in a decending run as well kind of hard to explaine... but you can sort of almost hear what i was trying to do lol....just needs alot of work but im alot better at it then about 4 weeks ago when i first started trying it out... but one day I will be the master of this lick lol ....great job everyone and the mix sounds great...I was happy to e a part of this collab....thanks

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Jun 1 2008, 03:48 AM
Thanks for a fun collab. Great mix and takes from everyone.

Super comments!

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jun 1 2008, 04:36 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 31 2008, 08:03 AM) *
I'm useless as always sad.gif I wish I'd progress on guitar but I never seem to get anywhere. I don't even know what to work on anymore. I'm useless at everything.

Don't be so hard on yourself OrganisedConfusion. What I heard in this collab mix was a collage of great music. I thoroughly enjoyed it. smile.gif . You seem to be your harshest critic ... just lighten up a bit and enjoy your music. I know I just did.

Keep jazzing.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jun 1 2008, 07:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 31 2008, 12:03 AM) *

Come on OC! I could only wich I was as good as you biggrin.gif Well for me that just means practice, practice and practice even more tongue.gif Great entries here people! Lovely

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:36 AM