5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Up In Flames Collab
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 8 2015, 03:13 PM) *
Thanks!!! smile.gif It's a KILLER backing which makes it extra fun to solo over!! I LOVE In Flames and you really nailed it. Could easily be an In Flames tune! smile.gif

Thanks much smile.gif I went for the throat given the full on style of the backing and it worked out better than I hoped smile.gif P.S. The "Single String Work" licks are going to be part of my next GMC VID LESSON in the VID LESSONS SECTION. It's very similar to the single string work in one of my fave collabs ever with Ben Higgins.

Another killer solo Todd! It's interesting to see how you took the same concept and re-worked it for this collab.

Thanks again for joining this one!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 9 2015, 04:32 PM
GMC:er
I'm in Gabi, time to challenge myself here!!
biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2015, 06:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 9 2015, 12:32 PM) *
I'm in Gabi, time to challenge myself here!!
biggrin.gif

You are welcome!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2015, 02:54 PM
Instructor
How is this going guys?? Do you need any help with this backing?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2015, 02:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm struggling a bit with the tempo, but I'll record something tonight maybe.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2015, 03:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 15 2015, 10:55 AM) *
I'm struggling a bit with the tempo, but I'll record something tonight maybe.

Remember that you can think on it as the half, 82.5 bpm.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2015, 03:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 15 2015, 04:05 PM) *
Remember that you can think on it as the half, 82.5 bpm.

Of course, but I'd like some 16th notes in there at the speed it is at, but I'm not sure I can play that fast laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2015, 09:45 AM
You can do it!! I'm sure I've seen you play that fast in vid chat!!! Go for it smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 15 2015, 10:08 AM) *
Of course, but I'd like some 16th notes in there at the speed it is at, but I'm not sure I can play that fast laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2015, 02:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 17 2015, 05:45 AM) *
You can do it!! I'm sure I've seen you play that fast in vid chat!!! Go for it smile.gif

+1 to this comment! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2015, 06:27 PM
P.S. GABE I saw on the news a big earthquake in Chile, did it impact you?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 17 2015, 09:01 AM) *
+1 to this comment! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2015, 06:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 17 2015, 10:45 AM) *

Don't think I've ever done 16th notes at 165 BPM. Certain patterns I can maybe push to 155 BPM. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Sep 20 2015, 07:51 PM
Tone Seeker
I have sent a private message, Gabriel smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 21 2015, 08:50 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2015, 07:29 PM) *
Don't think I've ever done 16th notes at 165 BPM. Certain patterns I can maybe push to 155 BPM. smile.gif

I don't know if this is useful to you, but I try to not find out where my limits are. Simply because if I enter a collab with the mindset "I can't quite do it" it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

However if I approach with with the "I'll find a way" mindset - it can give birth to no creative solutions.

As an example, maybe it will be easier if you play it using open strings the Todd way? (and stay on just one string)

Or what I like to do is pick the first two notes, and then play the coming two notes with legato while you picking hand gets to rest (for a split second). With this stuff 90% of the audience things you are picking all the notes (or 90% of the people that care, I should say).

Or maybe combine both of the above suggestions?

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Sep 21 2015, 06:58 PM
Tone Seeker
Here's my try:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrm0qif2s7a0rez/f...%20try.mp3?dl=0

It starts with a bend from

e-----13----------------
b-----16-18-16-13---

then that longer run is

d--------------------------------------------------------------------------------15----------------------------15--16--18
a----------------------------------------------------------------15--16--18------18--16--15--16--18----------------
f-----------------13----------------------------13--15--17---------------------------------------------------------------
c 13--15--17------17--15--13--15--17-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

d--16--18--20--(X2)--18--20--22--(X2) 22b23
a----------------------------------------------------------

Notice that I have tuned to a Drop C like that backing track is.

What do you think ? It's still a demo so it's little bit sloppy but I'll make better one after your advices

Cheers

This post has been edited by WeePee: Sep 21 2015, 08:22 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 21 2015, 08:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (WeePee @ Sep 21 2015, 07:58 PM) *
Here's my try:

e-----13----------------
b-----16-18-16-13---

then that longer run is

d--------------------------------------------------------------------------------15----------------------------15--16--18
a----------------------------------------------------------------15--16--18------18--16--15--16--18----------------
f-----------------13----------------------------13--15--17---------------------------------------------------------------
c 13--15--17------17--15--13--15--17-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think ? It's still a demo so it's little bit sloppy but I'll make better one after your advices

Cheers

Dropbox link doesn't work sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Sep 21 2015, 08:23 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 21 2015, 11:08 PM) *
Dropbox link doesn't work sad.gif

Fixed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 21 2015, 08:57 PM
I have faith in you bro! I think you will shock yourself smile.gif Give it a whirl!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2015, 01:29 PM) *

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 22 2015, 02:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Sep 21 2015, 02:58 PM) *
Here's my try:

e-----13----------------
b-----16-18-16-13---

then that longer run is

Cheers

Hi mate, I think that the fact that you used drop C tuning has confused you about the scale that you are using. The notes that you are playing seem to be part from Eb minor scale or something close to it, you are not using Cm.

Please re-check the scale that you are using.

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Sep 23 2015, 01:57 PM
Tone Seeker
Take 2 wink.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  take_2.mp3 ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 76

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2015, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Now we are talking! There are cool ideas and phrases on this one.

I would re-check some of the longer notes used on this solo to avoid resolving phrases on notes that are not part of the chord, and even less on fourths as it happens at 00:08 where you resolve the phrase with a C while the backing plays G major. Listen to that moment, don't you feel that the notes isn't the best choice there, do you note anything that doesn't work there just by ear? It's important to polish our ear enough to be able to identify these things even without being all the time thinking on intervals.

By the way, that's a problematic chord on this backing because it's a G major which indicates that you have to change one note from the scale that you are using to make it sound good. You have to switch Bb by B, and this last note B which is the third from G major is the best choice at this moment. For example, at 00:15 try playing C and then B instead of B and Bb and notice the difference.

On the second part I feel that the licks are cool but shorter ideas that end on a good target would be more effective. The patterns start moving and keep on moving and moving, without a clear resolution. Try resolving on the thirds of the chords and your solo will have a more defined phrasing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:14 AM