New Computer!, that doesn't work....
kaznie_NL
Oct 15 2009, 04:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
So... a week ago I ordered my new desktop PC, in pieces.... It all came nicely a few days ago, and a friend of mine who has way more experience with computer building helped me out. In about two hours everything was installed, so we got ourselves a power cable, plugged it in, pushed the button.... Nothing

After some trying we found that my powersupply had a 20 pin connector, and the motherboard a 24 pin, so I got myself a little cable whith one 20 pin side and one 24 pin side, exactly for people with the same problem. Then the 24pin side didn't quite fit into the slot on the motherboard, because the plastic locking pin was rubbing against the housing. I got rid of the piece of plastic, and the plug fitted nicely. then... still nothing coming from the pc.

The I removed the video card and the Wlan card, still nothing, reset BIOS, still nothing..... Then my friend found that the power supply was 13 Ampere and the Motherboard needed 15 or more.... dry.gif So now I have a really cool looking, not working pc, and and just spend about 350 euros on plastic. so now I even need to buy another power supply... NOOO

the oly thing working is the green power ligth, which goes on when the power cable is inserted in the wall socket. the setup is as follow:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
AOpen QF50G Grijs, Zwart
Asus M4A78-EM
Club3D HD 4770 512MB GDDR5
Edimax EW-7128g
Kingston ValueRAM KVR800D2N5K2/4G
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit + Windows 7 offer form
Samsung SH-S223B
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ, 500GB

Kaz mad.gif

Just swtiched to ATX power cables... IT'S ALIVE!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Oct 15 2009, 04:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Oof.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 15 2009, 04:37 PM
Learning Roadie
hi kaz, congrats on the new PC, let us know how vista 64 bit works out?? i,m running vista 32 bit and my computer is working perfect especially after service pack 2 came out, any bugs i did have are now long gone and now i,m loving 32 bit vista!!......GOOD LUCK with yours as well biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 15 2009, 05:43 PM
Instructor
Glad you got it figured out!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 15 2009, 11:17 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That's an awesome configuration man! Congrats on putting it together (and making it work hehe) ! smile.gif I'm thinking of some upgrades soon too.. smile.gif

May it serve you well! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 15 2009, 11:48 PM
Instructor
Congratulations Kaz! smile.gif I'm glad you worked out the problem, sometimes PC's can be quite a headache! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 16 2009, 12:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Nice spec man. Yeah, things like that you just put down to experience. It's what makes things fun, well.. perhaps in retrospect wink.gif

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 16 2009, 12:39 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Cool pc Kaz and good to hear that you've got it up and going smile.gif .

Keep the bits anyway Kaz as they may come in useful at a later date.

Generally most off the shelf type pcs have very poorly spec'ed power so it's often good to up grade the standard one if you can - modern video cards in particular draw a lot of power.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
twist
Oct 16 2009, 10:19 AM
GMC:er
Oh i cant remember how often i forgot just the one last cable and my computer wont start... And i am not unfamiliar with building computers from pieces smile.gif Happens a lot.

And for the questions about Vista 64bit, for me it works great for more than a year now. No Problems with programs or else. It was a little bit hard in the beginning when the drivers werent compatible to the 64bit system but nowadays it is no longer a problem. And i recently got Cubase working again, so no problem at all smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 16 2009, 08:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I got vista with windows 7 license, so I'll probably swap to windows seven in a few months. Also... I don't see any difference between the 32 and 64 bit version... Only difference I see is that I have two program files maps, one for 64 bit software, one for 32.

I really like the pc, when you keep in mind it costed a total of (with sending costs) about 570 euros, which is quite ok for such a computer! Now I'm very busy installing it all, the only thing that isn't working is my Wireless internet.... But i'll get it workign!

oh and for a better explanation then "It's alive" laugh.gif The motherboard has two connections for power, an ATX and an EATX connection. So I had the 20 pins connection, but the motherboard 24 pins, but in the end it should still work. The problem was that there were two cables with 2x2 connections, so like square connections. I just had the wrong one! I found that I could plug it in in two ways, and in one way the fan just moved a tiny little bit. Then my friend told me I shouldn't be able to plug it in in two ways, so I did some investigation, and then stumbled upon this other connector, different colour wires, but the same connector. This one slid in easily, and now it works prety ok wink.gif I still haven't had any troubles with the lack of amperes either, so I hope that'll stay the same!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 16 2009, 08:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
And.... I'M ONLINE wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 16 2009, 10:42 PM
Instructor
Welcome back! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 16 2009, 11:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (THE BUZZARD @ Oct 15 2009, 05:37 PM) *
hi kaz, congrats on the new PC, let us know how vista 64 bit works out?? i,m running vista 32 bit and my computer is working perfect especially after service pack 2 came out, any bugs i did have are now long gone and now i,m loving 32 bit vista!!......GOOD LUCK with yours as well biggrin.gif

There is no problem with Vista64, except for that FLASH crashes on occasion on some sites (especially Facebook, but no probs with Guitarmasterclass.net so far) On the other hand, Vista 64 for music apps doesn't work for me, since I have a lot of plugins that only runs on 32-bit systems, as well as that Cubase is not running stable on Vista64 (haven't tried the latest release though...)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 19 2009, 11:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
64bits use a lot more RAM, but you have 4Go so it's not a problem.
But there is a lot of compatibility issues with 64bits even more with Vista because it is by itself not really stable.

And never ever anymore remove a plastic pin from a plug ! They are here to help you plugging the cable in the good slots. wink.gif

You are lucky your motherboard haven't just made smoke and burnt. tongue.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Duncan
Oct 19 2009, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
If you get Modern Warfare 2. What am I talking about if? WHEN you get Modern Warfare 2 please don't tell me how good it is as I can't play it until next June.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 20 2009, 07:59 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Oct 19 2009, 12:44 PM) *
64bits use a lot more RAM, but you have 4Go so it's not a problem.
But there is a lot of compatibility issues with 64bits even more with Vista because it is by itself not really stable.

And never ever anymore remove a plastic pin from a plug ! They are here to help you plugging the cable in the good slots. wink.gif

You are lucky your motherboard haven't just made smoke and burnt. tongue.gif

Without removing the plastic clip, the thing would have never fitted... But luckily, still no smoke wink.gif

Yesterday I had somehting weird called a Black Screen of Death, and it sucks. It means you can start your computer, but the logon screen only displays "please wait" and then it all turns black and you see your mouse cursor. There's no way of fixing this, or their is one, but that didn't work for me. Also all the vista repair tools on the vista CD are useless for this problem >< But.. Format C and it works again......

I'm going to switch to Windows 7 ASAP tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 20 2009, 10:59 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Vista surely is the worst OS right after Windows Millenium. tongue.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 22 2009, 09:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I found the first 64 bits problem...

Reaper automaticly installs in 64 bits version, because my OS is 64 bits. This lead to a problem... Lame Encoder is 32 bits >< so they don't work together. Reaper just keeps saying "pls copy the Lame_enc.dll in the Reaper map", I'll see if I can install it in 32 bits version.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:17 AM