Quick Licks #65 - Pentatonic Slides
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2019, 08:53 PM
GMC:er
In this Quick Lick, we are going to use a PENTATONIC SLIDE technique. You can slide with any finger that feels comfortable on this one. We are using a Pentatonic shape and just connecting the dots to create a blues type lick that has a bit more complexity than your average blues licks. Don't forget your vibrato and keep a light mute so that you don't get extra string noise!!!

Attached Image

Attached File  65.gp5 ( 1.61K ) Number of downloads: 169

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This is a fun lick once you get in to it. It works anywhere on the neck as well. Start slow

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Feb 4 2019, 05:04 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by onetabmat: Feb 4 2019, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 7 2019, 09:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 up for scrutiny Sarge.

https://youtu.be/3Cg0suhR1Rs

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2019, 05:08 AM
Nailed it!! There was a little warble in the first pass but nothing that would wreck it. The tricky bit here is that string skip"ish" thing where you gotta move up a string before going back down and you got it!!! Kudos on transposing it to another place on the neck!!! This is a great lick for soloing, try it out with a backing and share if you get a chanceYou got this one!!! And...
LEVELED UP!!!!
*You remain the TOOOPPPP DAWWWWGGGG!!!! In Quick Licks!
Attached Image
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Feb 4 2019, 12:04 PM) *

You are playing the lick as a straight run rather than doing the tricky skip'ish" bit that is buried near the end but that's not enough to throw me off here. I like how smooth you are running the lick and it works great the way you are doing it. The slide is nice and slick and and you single finger bend/vibrato is spiffness!!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 7 2019, 04:15 PM) *
Take 1 up for scrutiny Sarge.

https://youtu.be/3Cg0suhR1Rs

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 8 2019, 05:03 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 8 2019, 08:58 AM
Thanks Todd,

I need to re-examine " tricky skip'ish" bit that is buried near the end ", I only looked at it last night for the first time, I'll post another vid with the correct version. I thought it was the same though, I need to observe more deeply wink.gif

UPDATE:

Here it is again but for the life of me I can't see how I am playing it different to the TAB in the GP file, this is the same as the last video I think. I must have a mental block somewhere, can you point my error out, please Todd?

https://youtu.be/HtIKy3n_2aI

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 8 2019, 10:07 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2019, 03:15 AM
In the first vid, it looked like your going 12th/14th fret on the D string, instead of 12th Gstring 14th Dstring after the slide up. The second vid looks spot on though. Then again, maybe I'm just hearing it wrong in the first vid. After the 5th note, (after the slide) the standard thing would be to just play the next notes in the scale, instead, I have you do a back and forth type thing instead of just ascending. It's only one note really. Does this make sense?
It's a very small difference. Not enough to keep you from badging up. It's really just a slidey bluesy thing. Which works played either way.

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 8 2019, 03:58 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I need to re-examine " tricky skip'ish" bit that is buried near the end ", I only looked at it last night for the first time, I'll post another vid with the correct version. I thought it was the same though, I need to observe more deeply wink.gif

UPDATE:

Here it is again but for the life of me I can't see how I am playing it different to the TAB in the GP file, this is the same as the last video I think. I must have a mental block somewhere, can you point my error out, please Todd?

https://youtu.be/HtIKy3n_2aI

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 9 2019, 10:57 AM
Thanks Todd,

I'm glad the second one is correct, makes me feel more like I earned the badge properly wink.gif I'll examine the vids more closely, I've watched the first one many times and to me it looks the same and sounds the same but when I get home on Sunday evening I'm going to play the correct notes over the first video to see if I can hear it.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 9 2019, 11:00 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2019, 08:14 PM
It could be my ears/eyes. It just sounds like you are going 12/14th fret up on one string instead of doing the up one string, back down one string from 12th to 14th. it's really a very small difference. For the purpose of quick licks, your vid is more than enough for a badge up. The second one is perfect!
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 9 2019, 05:57 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I'm glad the second one is correct, makes me feel more like I earned the badge properly wink.gif I'll examine the vids more closely, I've watched the first one many times and to me it looks the same and sounds the same but when I get home on Sunday evening I'm going to play the correct notes over the first video to see if I can hear it.

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 9 2019, 08:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think the difference is a missing note in Phil's take. I'm not sure, but at quick glance I don't hear the B (14th fret) twice. But I'm not sure. Could be my tired ears and eyes.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 9 2019, 08:19 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2019, 08:27 PM
Here is a tab of what phils first take sounds like to me. Just on note different. Hope this helps smile.gif
Attached File  65_alternate.gp5 ( 1.6K ) Number of downloads: 150

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 9 2019, 03:19 PM) *
I think the difference is a missing note in Phil's take. I'm not sure, but at quick glance I don't hear the B (14th fret) twice. But I'm not sure. Could be my tired ears and eyes.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 9 2019, 08:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 9 2019, 08:27 PM) *
Here is a tab of what phils first take sounds like to me. Just on note different. Hope this helps smile.gif
Attached File  65_alternate.gp5 ( 1.6K ) Number of downloads: 150

Arh, yes, agreed, E on D string instead of B on A string, I think? Small "mistake", nothing too important I would say. We had a hard time spotting it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2019, 09:10 PM
very small. works done either way smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 9 2019, 03:31 PM) *
Arh, yes, agreed, E on D string instead of B on A string, I think? Small "mistake", nothing too important I would say. We had a hard time spotting it!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 22 2020, 04:48 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 31 2020, 01:31 AM
Nice!! I love that guitar. It's always a treat to see it in action. It's got great tone and looks killer. Speaking of Ibanez. I went back to drool over the 565 and they are all sold out already. I was a bit shocked. They didn't make nearly enough of them apparently. Just like the first time. I hope they do another batch. Actually I hope the do a batch every year from now on. smile.gif Well, maybe one more.

You nailed this lick start to finish. You have zero trouble with these and each one of your vids is a great example of how these licks can be played. It's clean, smooth, no string noise, etc. Just a pro level job. A pleasure to watch.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2020, 11:48 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 21 2021, 11:57 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 23 2021, 05:05 AM
Your vibrato continues to improve which is a good thing to see. Not too long ago your vibrato was not quite this good. The more vibrato you do, the better it will get. Without vibrato this lick and most lead licks, can sound dynamically flat. Adding vibrato gives any lick some energy. Keep working on it as you move forward! Well played! You just...

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 21 2021, 06:57 PM) *

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Feb 27 2021, 08:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is my attempt to Quick lick #65

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2021, 03:25 AM
NICELY DONE!!!! You nailed the most important part of this lick. There is a subtle bend on the next to last note. It's that bend that gives this lick it's bluesy vibe. Before that, it's a traditional blues lick but played in a somewhat different way than might normally be done. This lick works great in any solo context just as the standard blues lick that it's based on would work. The standard way to play it would just be ascending up to the root. Instead we add change the note sequence just a bit and add a bend in a somewhat strange spot. The traditional place to put the bend is of course on the G string fretted one string above the root note and bend up one hole step. We skip that and do it as you did instead. Well played!!!

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Feb 27 2021, 03:24 PM) *
Here is my attempt to Quick lick #65

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:07 PM