Hours, Days !
resilientguitari...
Sep 25 2008, 03:55 PM
GMC:er
how long should one practice a day? i get in about four hours a day with school slowing me down from doing more. Is this good enough? Also in those four hours what would most benefit my practice time?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 25 2008, 04:03 PM
Instructor
4 hours sounds pretty good. I remember sometimes it felt like it was just 30 min and I actually spent 4-5 hours.

Keep those 4 hours and you'll be ok.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 25 2008, 04:10 PM
I've always approached it like I was playing until I was done for that "session". Regardless of whether it was 1 hour, 10 minutes, or 10 hours - whenever my brain expires I guess. Just play until I am tired of playing or have someting else I need to do. 4 hours a day is awesome though. smile.gif I wish I had that kind of time.

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 25 2008, 04:11 PM
Instructor
The more you practice, the better you'll get smile.gif

4 hours a day is very good though. I wish I had that much time for practicing

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 25 2008, 04:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
4 hours a day is great man! You don't need more than that surly!! For you to benefit most from that time I would suggest writing down what you gonna practice with time you want to spend on different exercises/lessons/songs...That way you will constantly know what to do next and won't loose much time..Of course don't forget to include pauses for you to rest...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 25 2008, 05:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
I practice 2-3 hours a day,but i make sure i practice strictly and get the most out of my session. In the real world when your working full time its not really feasable to do much more smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 25 2008, 05:30 PM
Instructor
4 hours is great if you can spare it every day, so keep rocking and don't worry. The more you practice the better you will get. Also try to do as much as focused practice with metronome as possible, since this is the kind of practice that improves your technique the most.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Sep 25 2008, 06:07 PM
Singing Instructor
I think that 4 is great,but you can make it with 3 a day also.And pick a day in a week,an make brake.I know I never practiced on monday.smile.gif

--------------------

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Sep 25 2008, 06:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I wish I can practice for 4 hours a day. Im lucky to get in 1 hour.
I usually practice untill I get that nice burning sensation in my hand. Know what Im talking about? happy.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 26 2008, 11:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeff @ Sep 25 2008, 05:10 PM) *
whenever my brain expires I guess.

That was pretty well said Jeff!

4 hours is great tho. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 26 2008, 11:58 AM
Instructor
4 hours is gaping into professional zone - becoming real pro musician I would say.

One thing I would look out is not just to noodle around for 4 hours - even tough this can be sometimes fun and interesting sooner or later you will hit a block where you will feel you are not improving. So my suggestion is make a list of important areas that you need to work on. Is it bending, legato , alternate, tapping, sweeping, songwriting, recording, playing in a band , ear training/transcribing , arranging etc and try to implement these things in your daily practice plan ! Its entirely up to you how and what you will do but I would recommend changing practice plan every month or every two-three months to keep things fresh and new.
This should give you plenty of cool ideas to work with and you will always feel like you are going somewhere , and improvement will be there!

Hope this helped man smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Sep 27 2008, 01:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 26 2008, 12:03 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
4 hours every day is absolutely great, that is much more than most people will do I guess. Not everybody has the time to practice that much every day, but you will for sure benefit big time form this schedule, so try to keep it.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 26 2008, 02:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
4 hours is great, but make sure it doesn't get you out of motivation! I remember reading something Kris wrote, it as something like "better practice ten minutes a day then four hours a week." And I think that's true!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 26 2008, 11:22 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Sep 26 2008, 03:43 PM) *
4 hours is great, but make sure it doesn't get you out of motivation! I remember reading something Kris wrote, it as something like "better practice ten minutes a day then four hours a week." And I think that's true!

Doubt 10 mins a day nor 4 hours once a week will make a good musician.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 27 2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kjutte @ Sep 27 2008, 12:22 AM) *
Doubt 10 mins a day nor 4 hours once a week will make a good musician.

I think if Kris did say that he meant that it was better to practice EVERY DAY then to practice once a week .
I do agree with you that 10 minutes a day is not enough if you want to take your playing to another level. You might improve, depending on what you are playing practicing and what your goal of that particular practice session is!
But again, consistency is the most important thing when it comes to improving - and that's not only in music but rather in every aspect of life.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 27 2008, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 27 2008, 01:17 AM) *
I think if Kris did say that he meant that it was better to practice EVERY DAY then to practice once a week .
I do agree with you that 10 minutes a day is not enough if you want to take your playing to another level. You might improve, depending on what you are playing practicing and what your goal of that particular practice session is!
But again, consistency is the most important thing when it comes to improving - and that's not only in music but rather in every aspect of life.

I agree, but obviously it has misled tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 27 2008, 01:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kjutte @ Sep 27 2008, 02:08 AM) *
I agree, but obviously it has misled tongue.gif

And I agree with you it did sound a bit misleading the way it was mentioned biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 27 2008, 01:56 AM
ya try not to overdo it...ull regret it but 4 hours is fine

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:32 AM