Eh [ 22 ] ** [27.85%]
I wish I never upgraded [ 3 ] ** [3.80%]
IT SUCKS [ 34 ] ** [43.04%]
Total Votes: 79
Guests cannot vote 
fatb0t
Dec 30 2007, 06:42 AM
GMC:er
Well, I built a brand new PC over the summer and loaded it with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit. Big mistake, Pro tools didn't work, my M Audio 410 fireware recording interface wouldn't work, my line6 pod wouldn't interface with it, countless other software tools I took for granted wouldn't work on this OS.

Well, I kept it for a few months, the reason? Direct X 10, I thought this was the holy grail for video games. I got Call of Duty 4 and Crysis thinking my mind was going to be blown. I go over to my friends house who's running Win Xp, SAME DIFFERENCE. Direct X 10 makes no difference whatsoever.

My Vista install dual booted with Win Xp pro, my PC has crashed and needed a reload 3 times since August, can you believe that?

I've reached a breaking point - it's over, I don't care I wasted 250 bucks, I'm downgrading to Windows Xp Pro 32 bit. What's worse is my Vista key that was printed on my PC case has like fallen off because I spilt beer on it, so I can never go back. Oh well, I'm not missing anything.

Anyone else hate Windows Vista or love it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 30 2007, 06:52 AM
well my new laptop came with Vista and i find it really cool, im happy with it, i didnt expect much so its good for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 30 2007, 07:15 AM
There is some feature I like but it, in essence, turns a computer into a bug box. I have XP with no intent to "upgrade" unless there is something that changes my mind.

P.S. I am in no way trying to offend, if you like Vista then good for you. smile.gif

This post has been edited by swingline: Dec 30 2007, 07:15 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
kahall
Dec 30 2007, 07:21 AM
Learning Roadie
very happy with XP here, will not upgrade until I have to. I have a laptop with Vista Home Holy Grail of Ultimate Awesomeness version installed and I really don't see the big deal. Takes 2 gig of Ram just to run at a decent clip.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 30 2007, 07:33 AM
Vista is cool, but Microsoft did go over the top trying to make it look modern. Are you sure it's not your computer? Maybe your RAM is too small. Not sure. I'm not a computer expert sad.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 30 2007, 07:36 AM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Dec 30 2007, 12:42 AM) *
Well, I built a brand new PC over the summer and loaded it with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit. Big mistake, Pro tools didn't work, my M Audio 410 fireware recording interface wouldn't work, my line6 pod wouldn't interface with it, countless other software tools I took for granted wouldn't work on this OS.

Well, I kept it for a few months, the reason? Direct X 10, I thought this was the holy grail for video games. I got Call of Duty 4 and Crysis thinking my mind was going to be blown. I go over to my friends house who's running Win Xp, SAME DIFFERENCE. Direct X 10 makes no difference whatsoever.

My Vista install dual booted with Win Xp pro, my PC has crashed and needed a reload 3 times since August, can you believe that?

I've reached a breaking point - it's over, I don't care I wasted 250 bucks, I'm downgrading to Windows Xp Pro 32 bit. What's worse is my Vista key that was printed on my PC case has like fallen off because I spilt beer on it, so I can never go back. Oh well, I'm not missing anything.

Anyone else hate Windows Vista or love it?

Vista is great on a computer that is built to use it, but put it on an older computer running all kinds of different programs including shareware and freeware programs and it will crap out every time, reason is the Drivers, or should I say the lack of them! Not many companies decided to go ahead and make drivers for the release of Vista and the longer it takes Microsoft to get it right the longer it's going to be before it's the main stream OS used world wide.

My guess is that Microsoft is going to patch it a few more times and if that don't get it working right then they will roll it back and taking the best parts from it that will work with an XP Pro base and make a happy medium OS that works with all of the current drivers.

Hard part will be making a patch that rolls back current vista owners to the rolled back version they will be selling in the future, I'm not even sure that will be possible considering the different architecture and other differences between Vista and XP.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
ActiveX
Dec 30 2007, 07:59 AM
I don't use Vista personally, I use XP, but I'm currently working in the Quality Assurance Department for a software/internet company, and I have to test our software in both Vista and XP. Vista is a pain in the ass, way too many incompatibility problems, something is always screwed up.

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 30 2007, 08:09 AM
QUOTE (ActiveX @ Dec 29 2007, 10:59 PM) *
I don't use Vista personally, I use XP, but I'm currently working in the Quality Assurance Department for a software/internet company, and I have to test our software in both Vista and XP. Vista is a pain in the ass, way too many incompatibility problems, something is always screwed up.

Thats true, before most things carried over. If it worked on Windows 95 it probably would work on 98, if it worked on 98 iit would probably work on 2000/ME/XP. Vista on the other hand, not way to much transfers especially if it was created a few years ago.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2007, 10:45 AM
Lets go fishing!
I use XP, ive tweeked it to the extreme and its solid, reliable an fast. My nepehew got a laptop for christmas and he asked me why I hadnt upgraded, of course I told him that most of my applications and devices wouldnt work with it correctly and that i might consider it once XP has been phased out completely laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 30 2007, 11:25 AM
Instructor
Running XP here and i am not planning on going to Vista as i have all the software sorted out and running on XP and i am expecting loads of problems going to Vista, especially the compatibility with my recording software and hardware.

I used Vista in university, i used it on my friend's laptop and it's actually a huge resource eater. All they improved was great graphic design and support for more RAM oh and dual core processors but that's all they did.

Too many cons, not enough pros.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Dec 30 2007, 11:43 AM
Acoustic Instructor
I was looking forward to a new OS since 2005/2006
Its name was Longhorn first.
Then appeared as Vista.
I have used it in a laptop.no probem exellent Graphics,
But the major issue is the compatibility problem.
So I will stay with (fast) XP biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2007, 12:03 PM
Lets go fishing!
There is no reason to upgrade from XP, its a good OS and you can make it look as good as Vista quite easliy biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2007, 12:09 PM
Instructor
This kind of stuff is very normal.. and Microsoft pretty much is used to develop new buggy products that need few years of development even when they come on shelves in stores - nothing new on Vista. I worked extensively on all their operating systems ever since the 3.11 and always the same thing. Actually it is getting worse with each new version because the software is getting more complicated in time.

I use XP SP2 and planning to meet with Vista maybe next year, maybe the year after. Thats reality for me. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Dec 30 2007, 12:13 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 30 2007, 11:03 AM) *
There is no reason to upgrade from XP, its a good OS and you can make it look as good as Vista quite easliy biggrin.gif

agreed, or....you could make it waay cooler...

my awesome orangey windowblinds desktop
(that desktop menu comes up when i rightclick- cool me thinks...not to mention all the cool animations the windows can do...)

im using windowblinds and it completly transforms xp- why upgrade ?!?

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2007, 12:15 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Dec 30 2007, 11:13 AM) *
agreed, or....you could make it waay cooler...

my awesome orangey windowblinds desktop
(that desktop menu comes up when i rightclick- cool me thinks...not to mention all the cool animations the windows can do...)

im using windowblinds and it completly transforms xp- why upgrade ?!?

Hey I like that, windows blinds is a great tool! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 30 2007, 12:28 PM
Instructor
I'm looking to buy a laptop, but it's hard to find a new one without Vista unsure.gif

A friend of mine is working in a computer shop and says that almost all people who buy a laptop with Vista, returned it to install XP, but when you install XP on such laptop there are problems with drivers blink.gif

I guess I'll have to go for a second hand one rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Dec 30 2007, 12:29 PM

This post has been edited by botoxfox: Apr 22 2011, 08:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 30 2007, 12:29 PM
My wife bought a new desktop to replace the Gateway that took a dirt nap.
It came with Vista on it and it's a pain in the butt.

I'm not trying to knock research and development, but sometimes I think that "new" things come out just to get people to spend gobs of money. Eventually, new programs will come out that will ONLY run in Vista so you HAVE to upgrade...things like that. Same with BlueRay, whatever the heck that is....how "sharp" do you really need a video to be?

But hey, progress is good in general...I just hate marketing and advertising gimmicks.
I'm the guy that didn't buy a CD player until you couldn't buy vinyl in stores anymore!!

Attached Image

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 30 2007, 12:39 PM
Instructor
Happy XP user here,heard some nasty things about Vista
so I'm gonna stay on same OS for a while I guess biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2007, 01:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 30 2007, 11:39 AM) *
Happy XP user here,heard some nasty things about Vista
so I'm gonna stay on same OS for a while I guess biggrin.gif

The old saying rings true, if it aint broke, dont fix it !! biggrin.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:51 PM