Guitar Advise. Please Help !
Mike RR24
Aug 26 2011, 11:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guy's I wanted to run something by all of you and ask for your advice on an issue I am having.

About a year and a half ago I bought a Brand New Randy Rhoads RR24. This is the V Style made in Japan.
I loved the guitar when I got it but I'm not much of a stand up player and I love sitting down to play and after a while this became
a chore and was not fun to play it anymore as the shape made it a real hassle to sit with it even with the strap on. I love the Ebony fretboard and the playability of this guitar. It reminds me of playing on a glass surface it's so fast. I then bought an Ibanez XPT-700 sorta shaped like a dean ML. It looked like it was a nice sit down guitar and I was right. It's great to sit with. I like the fretboard and the action I can get with it although it's not as fast as the Jackson but still fun to play. I swapped out the pickup on the RR24 from an EMG-81 to a Seymour Duncan Blackout cause I like the high gain metal sound I get from the SD. The jackson sounds sweet but the shape makes it not very fun to play. I was looking at some other Jackson and came across a Jackson DK2 Dinky. Had 2 single coil pups and a humbucker. Shaped a little like an Ibanez it looks perfect to solve my issues. It was quite a bit cheaper than my Jackson Pro RR24 though. Knowing this I know I'm going to take a loss if I get rid of the RR24 and I don't really mind that because I would rather have something I could sit comfortably with and play than just hang it on the wall for looks as money is not really an issue. Should I trade my Jackson RR24 for a DK2 and lose $500.00 or should I try to sell the RR24 and buy a DK2? I want 3 more guitars in my quest. An Ibanez, a PRS Torrero, and a Jackson DK2.
Have any of you guy's played a DK2 Jackson and know how it shreds ? Also do you know of a good site where I can trade or sell the jackson. I though about going to Guitar Center but I know I will lose a lot more than $500.00 if I do that.
I'm just wanting to see what you guy's think about this and what your input is on it. I really appreciate your opinions on it.
I also love the Ibanez and would not mind maybe picking up a little higher end one of those also.

Thanks for your input.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Aug 26 2011, 11:52 PM
GMC:er
I'd sell the Jackson on eBay, you should get some of that $500 back.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 27 2011, 12:17 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Having owned an RX10D, I feel your pain with the V. Some people can get used to it seated with the long horn between their legs, I could not. Also having owned a DK2, my advice would be to sell the 24 and look for a used soloist USA model. Trust me, they are worlds apart!

Here is a good source for anything Jackson/Charvel..

JCF Online

Good luck!
Steve

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 27 2011, 02:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
I* have a dinky -it shreds , one thing I do not like is the distance between the fretborad and loopof the guitar ,it is to tight for my hand
so I would try to play one to see if that bugs you or not

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Aug 27 2011, 06:07 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 26 2011, 07:01 PM) *
I* have a dinky -it shreds , one thing I do not like is the distance between the fretborad and loopof the guitar ,it is to tight for my hand
so I would try to play one to see if that bugs you or not

Yeah I kind of wondered about that looking at it. I'll make sure to play one first. Thanks for the heads up.

QUOTE (skennington @ Aug 26 2011, 05:17 PM) *
Having owned an RX10D, I feel your pain with the V. Some people can get used to it seated with the long horn between their legs, I could not. Also having owned a DK2, my advice would be to sell the 24 and look for a used soloist USA model. Trust me, they are worlds apart!

Here is a good source for anything Jackson/Charvel..

JCF Online

Good luck!
Steve

Thanks Steve. Yeah I just can't deal with it sitting down and that's how the majority of my playing is done. It almost seems like it would be somewhat better if the fins were the same size but that long one on the top has dumped a drink or two when Ive been using it. Maybe not though. I've heard mixed reviews on the USA Models. I'll definitely look into it though. I love the Japan model so it sounds like the USA Model might hook me for sure !! smile.gif

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 27 2011, 05:29 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
No problem man. If you get a chance, check out the SL2H. Neck thru design with dbl humbuckers that just rips! There pricey but if your patient, you can find them in excellent used condition.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 27 2011, 05:35 PM
Instructor
agree man, it´s a nice piece of wood.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:10 AM