Trouble Picking
Mike RR24
Aug 24 2011, 04:33 AM
Learning Roadie
Ben,

I think I about figured out a big problem I am having. My picking !! I feel confident on the fret board however I don't feel confident picking. I can't seem to find a comfortable way to hold my pick where I have total use of it. The way that feels best for me is fisting my right hand up and holding the pick between my thumb and index finger. This used to work for me but is no longer working too good. I've seen people holding their pick between the thumb and index finger and extending their other fingers hanging down. I've tried this but don't feel like I have a lot of control. I seem to be way more advanced in my frtting than my picking and it's starting to bum me out. Which exercise should I use to help me out. I'm really wanting to start working on this and get it worked out. I know it will take time and I'm ready to go for it. Thanks...

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Michael Connell - Ciudad Juarez Chihuahua, Mexico

Gear: Jackson Pro RR24.
Ibanez XPT700.
Mexican Fender Strat 2008 Model.
Marshall MA 100 Watt Head w/Crate Blackheart slanted cab 300 Watts.
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Digitech Metal Master Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.
BOSS BR-1600CD Home Studio
DigiTech GSP1101 Guitar Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech Control2 Remote Foot Controller
TC-Helicon VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
Switch-3 Pedal for VoiceWorks Plus Vocal Processor
ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 24 2011, 07:12 AM
Instructor
There isn't only one way to hold the pick. You have to choose the most comfortable for you, however your first choice is the most used. You could start playing sixteenth notes over metronome using alternate picking on every open string. This will allow you to concentrate in your right hand. Then you can practice some alternate picking exercises. Here at the site there are lots of good etudes for alternate picking... let me know your favourite styles and I'll post some good links to lessons to practice AP.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 24 2011, 08:58 AM
Instructor
Hi Mike, as Gabriel said there isn't a worn or right way when it comes to fingers in or fingers out. I've experimented with both over the years and now have a style where I rest my hand very naturally against the strings and let my little finger rest on the side of the pickup surround. However when playing riffs and songs I will let my whole hand move freely according to whatever I'm doing and how much momentum I need for the riff..

Take a look at my lesson here, as it deals with this kind of thing. Forget about alternate picking for a second and just rest your hand on the guitar as if you were just going to strum a chord or play a riff. Usually whatever your body reverts to is the natural way it wants to work (unless you've spent time trying to mould it differently). I warn against trying to receate someone else's hand position because they're bodies will be different and it might not work for you.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stamina-School/

Find your natural hand position that you would used for relaxed playing and go from there, following the steps in this lesson. I developed the lesson through my own practice experience and is exactly for moments like this smile.gif

Also, forget about complex left hand patterns.. first you need to let your picking hand discover 'the way' before adding extra tasks. Please have a go at this and let me know how you get on. Also, please note that picking isn't a 'master it in a few months' type of thing.. for me it has been a lifelong study and it can always be improved upon so if you take that pressure off your shoulders you can just let yourself progress at a natural pace and discover your own picking technique ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Aug 25 2011, 04:25 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 24 2011, 12:12 AM) *
There isn't only one way to hold the pick. You have to choose the most comfortable for you, however your first choice is the most used. You could start playing sixteenth notes over metronome using alternate picking on every open string. This will allow you to concentrate in your right hand. Then you can practice some alternate picking exercises. Here at the site there are lots of good etudes for alternate picking... let me know your favourite styles and I'll post some good links to lessons to practice AP.

Gabriel,

Thanks for the reply. I like METAL. I'm trying out Ben's stamina school. I appreciate anything you would recommend also.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 24 2011, 01:58 AM) *
Hi Mike, as Gabriel said there isn't a worn or right way when it comes to fingers in or fingers out. I've experimented with both over the years and now have a style where I rest my hand very naturally against the strings and let my little finger rest on the side of the pickup surround. However when playing riffs and songs I will let my whole hand move freely according to whatever I'm doing and how much momentum I need for the riff..

Take a look at my lesson here, as it deals with this kind of thing. Forget about alternate picking for a second and just rest your hand on the guitar as if you were just going to strum a chord or play a riff. Usually whatever your body reverts to is the natural way it wants to work (unless you've spent time trying to mould it differently). I warn against trying to receate someone else's hand position because they're bodies will be different and it might not work for you.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stamina-School/

Find your natural hand position that you would used for relaxed playing and go from there, following the steps in this lesson. I developed the lesson through my own practice experience and is exactly for moments like this smile.gif

Also, forget about complex left hand patterns.. first you need to let your picking hand discover 'the way' before adding extra tasks. Please have a go at this and let me know how you get on. Also, please note that picking isn't a 'master it in a few months' type of thing.. for me it has been a lifelong study and it can always be improved upon so if you take that pressure off your shoulders you can just let yourself progress at a natural pace and discover your own picking technique ! cool.gif

Ben,

Trying your stamina school. Thanks.... I really appreciate it. I'm going to ask a "STUPID" question here. Ive heard different advice on pick holding. I've heard that you always hold the pick with the tip sticking out, then I've heard it does not matter.
For me I got used to holding it a little sideways so I could get pinch harmonics better when I needed them. Also I've been trying to learn to hold it with the point sticking straight to the strings and I've been learning how to execute PH's there also.
When I see you doing that simple picking in that lesson you just seem so fluid but when I do it I get caught on the strings and am unable to make it exactly like you are doing it and I can't really see how your holding your pick point wise. I mean smoothly in one motion like you. Is this just something that comes with time ?? Just want to make sure I'm not practicing bad habits. Thanks man.. Your an awesome player.

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 25 2011, 09:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mike RR24 @ Aug 25 2011, 04:25 AM) *
Ben,

Trying your stamina school. Thanks.... I really appreciate it. I'm going to ask a "STUPID" question here. Ive heard different advice on pick holding. I've heard that you always hold the pick with the tip sticking out, then I've heard it does not matter.
For me I got used to holding it a little sideways so I could get pinch harmonics better when I needed them. Also I've been trying to learn to hold it with the point sticking straight to the strings and I've been learning how to execute PH's there also.
When I see you doing that simple picking in that lesson you just seem so fluid but when I do it I get caught on the strings and am unable to make it exactly like you are doing it and I can't really see how your holding your pick point wise. I mean smoothly in one motion like you. Is this just something that comes with time ?? Just want to make sure I'm not practicing bad habits. Thanks man.. Your an awesome player.

Hey Mike, it's not a stupid question at all.. and thanks for the comments smile.gif

In the interestes of your question, I've made a new post. I've been asked about this a few times in video chats so I thought it's about time I posted something. So thanks for asking and making me do it !

Here it is: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=40433

+Quote Post
Mike RR24
Aug 25 2011, 06:18 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 25 2011, 02:28 AM) *
Hey Mike, it's not a stupid question at all.. and thanks for the comments smile.gif

In the interestes of your question, I've made a new post. I've been asked about this a few times in video chats so I thought it's about time I posted something. So thanks for asking and making me do it !

Here it is: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=40433

Awesome Ben. Thanks a lot. I can't wait to get home from work and Jam. I was doing the exercise yesterday and enjoying it a lot.

I appreciate it.

--------------------

Ibanez XPT700.
THD Hotplate 16 Ohms.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:10 PM