Picks, Looking for a cheaper back up
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2011, 06:25 PM
Learning Roadie
So I really really love the V-pick small pointed, I love the tone, I love the shape, I love the feel.

They wear out pretty quickly for me and I was wondering what a cheaper alternative might be of a similar shape?

I would love to get a bucket load that I didn't have to worry about losing and if I could get some custom printed that would be cool too.

Talk to me about pick shapes and pick material.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Nov 25 2011, 07:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 25 2011, 05:25 PM) *
So I really really love the V-pick small pointed, I love the tone, I love the shape, I love the feel.

They wear out pretty quickly for me and I was wondering what a cheaper alternative might be of a similar shape?

I would love to get a bucket load that I didn't have to worry about losing and if I could get some custom printed that would be cool too.

From what I understand, Clayton is a good way to go. Otherwise, maybe get some Jazz III's, as the Small pointed is based on those.

Clayton Picks:
http://www.steveclayton.com/

Jazz III:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...iii-guitar-pick

Personally, I prefer the V-Pick Dimension Junior buffed, but I might switch back to my V-Pick Stiletto after working with my Stylus picks that are arriving in the mail soon.

Do you sharpen your picks?

I used this Carbon Fibre Jazz III before I made my switch to a V-Pick. They have great control, and unless you plan on Pick Tapping a lot, don't expect it to wear out soon.

Carbon Fibre Jazz III:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...ELAID=521983470

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2011, 08:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Nov 25 2011, 06:41 PM) *
From what I understand, Clayton is a good way to go. Otherwise, maybe get some Jazz III's, as the Small pointed is based on those.

Clayton Picks:
http://www.steveclayton.com/

Jazz III:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...iii-guitar-pick

Personally, I prefer the V-Pick Dimension Junior buffed, but I might switch back to my V-Pick Stiletto after working with my Stylus picks that are arriving in the mail soon.

Do you sharpen your picks?

I used this Carbon Fibre Jazz III before I made my switch to a V-Pick. They have great control, and unless you plan on Pick Tapping a lot, don't expect it to wear out soon.

Carbon Fibre Jazz III:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...ELAID=521983470

The Stiletto is my next favourite, I'll have a look for the carbon fibre Jazz 3. Imay try nail fils for redoing the points and edges on worn V picks too

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 26 2011, 11:53 AM
Instructor
I like these picks, these are my favorite picks at the moment:

They have a good grip, and pleasant tone compared to plastic ones. The pointed tip lasts for a week, which is cool by me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Nov 26 2011, 07:01 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 26 2011, 10:53 AM) *

They have a good grip, and pleasant tone compared to plastic ones. The pointed tip lasts for a week, which is cool by me.

I used these as well. I tried them at the same time I tried the Jazz III's. I think the carbon fibre that your pick, and that the jazz III that I posted has, truly makes a difference when it comes to grip and sustainability. Not to mention that the articulation is awesome.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 26 2011, 09:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 26 2011, 07:53 AM) *

I tried this ones and I really liked them! I've never found them again but I would use it if I could find a store here to buy it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 26 2011, 09:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 25 2011, 09:25 AM) *

You need to learn to sharpen your picks on your carpet. Takes all of 5 seconds per side and doesn't destroy your carpet. It works - I do it on a regular basis and the more you practice the technique, the better control you can get in determining the shape of your pick.

Check it out.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 26 2011, 10:44 PM
Instructor
A smart choice indeed! But I don't have such a carpet laugh.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2011, 12:49 AM
Instructor
hahha, that would work for couple of months, and then we would get strange "arcs" around the carpet biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 27 2011, 10:32 AM
GMC:er
The VPICKS are awesome! The Stilletto is a killer little pick, similar to the jumbo jazz III. The Vpick that is closest that might work is the one NIHILIST mentioned called the DIMENSION JUNIOR (Unbuffed is typically a tad more pointy than buffed but both are worth a try)

Here is a link and pick
http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=118&page=picks

Attached Image

Maybe go up to the switchblade. If you want one that won't wear out, get a DIMENSION. It's eternal. But it's also 4mm thick!

The nature of most pick material is that it wears down eventually. I sharpen my picks and they wear down even quicker. It's just part of doing biz.

Todd
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 25 2011, 12:25 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 27 2011, 10:38 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 27 2011, 09:17 PM
Learning Roadie
I bought some Jazz III yesterday and binned them within a minute or so of comparing them to the V pick, they really don't compare. I've been playing V picks since April 2008 and I must have forgotten the difference to other picks.

Vinni will continue to get my business from now on without question

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:33 AM