2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gary Moore Sued, Still got the Blues is a ripp off
ItsMe
Dec 9 2008, 08:58 PM
GMC:er
Check out this video at 5.20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe-uwEqTjd0

The German Jam band Jud's Gallery just won a law suit at a German court

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German court has ordered former Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore to pay damages after ruling the guitar solo in his 1990 hit "Still Got the Blues" had been plagiarized from a German song written in 1974.
A court in the southern city of Munich said on Wednesday the solo in Moore's song was too similar to the one in "Nordrach" by the band Jud's Gallery not to have been copied -- even though the German song was not available on record at the time.
In a statement, the court ordered Moore, 56, from Northern Ireland, and his record label to pay damages to band leader Juergen Winter who brought the case. The amount has yet to be fixed.
Moore had denied knowing the song, which the court said could only have been heard live or on radio at the time.
The court said it had no evidence the solo had been lifted deliberately, but that this was immaterial in copyright infringement.
Moore can appeal against the decision.
"Still Got the Blues" was the title track on Moore's album of the same name, one of the guitarist's most successful records. According to online chart database everyhit.com the single reached 31 in the British singles charts in May 1990.
Moore played with Thin Lizzy for a few months in 1974 and again in 1978-79 before leaving the Irish band to start a solo career.

Obviously that law suit was pending for quite a while. Anyway it really looks like Gary lifted that melodie nearly without changes. I still think he is great. But also a melodie thief. But i think it's stupid to ask for money after so many years. In addition Gary used this melodie only as the head. OK, he also used the whole chord progression but it is very basic anyway. I consider Still got the blues still an amazing song. What do you think about this plagiarism business (Satriani/Coldplay etc.)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Dec 9 2008, 09:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bondy
Dec 9 2008, 09:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Who cares!!! not me had enough of these suing posts this week doesnt change the fact its a great song!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Canis
Dec 9 2008, 09:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have nothing else to say then:

blink.gif

Sounds way too similar not to have been copied.. I really did not know that...
Mr. Moore perfected it, though (imo).. And is still my hero smile.gif

This post has been edited by Canis: Dec 9 2008, 09:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Dec 9 2008, 09:17 PM
Yes, he perfected it and made it a great song. Jud's Gallery only played a quite incoherent jam.

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Dec 9 2008, 09:19 PM
I shall never play a lick again! only single held out notes for different durations of time, perhaps slightly out of tune, to avoid copyright infringement upon other notes that might have been played similarly.

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Dec 9 2008, 09:20 PM
Instructor
This sort of thing concerns me, I think that what happens sometimes is that you hear a melody in your head, you probably heard it once somewhere, but to you you think you probably created it.

Many times I come up with melodies, and I think to myself, have I heard this before?, am I stealing this?. But I am never able to find the song or the melody, so I go with it.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Dec 9 2008, 09:21 PM
QUOTE (Jose Mena @ Dec 9 2008, 03:20 PM) *
This sort of thing concerns me, I think that what happens sometimes is that you hear a melody in your head, you probably heard it once somewhere, but to you you think you probably created it.

Many times I come up with melodies, and I think to myself, have I heard this before?, am I stealing this?. But I am never able to find the song or the melody, so I go with it.

its not theft if it wasn't intentional.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Dec 9 2008, 09:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (GuitarsANDtattoos @ Dec 9 2008, 03:19 PM) *
I shall never play a lick again! only single held out notes for different durations of time, perhaps slightly out of tune, to avoid copyright infringement upon other notes that might have been played similarly.

laugh.gif
I guess this is the only thing we can do

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 9 2008, 09:22 PM
Instructor
Wow
That definitely sounds like Still got the blues - one of the most famous Gary Moore instrumentals of all time!
It makes you wonder if he really copied it from them or he came up with it?

My opinion is this kind of melodies are Sequence so its pretty common to play them trough chords. It could have been very well by accident in this case. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Dec 9 2008, 09:25 PM
QUOTE (GuitarsANDtattoos @ Dec 9 2008, 09:19 PM) *

biggrin.gif

Yes that sueing buisness is a problem. If it happens to often all music will sound like you term it: Single held out notes for different durations of time biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Dec 9 2008, 09:27 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 9 2008, 09:27 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I hope I get sued one day since that means I must have written a hit song and made plenty of green someone would want from me biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 9 2008, 09:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 9 2008, 09:27 PM) *
I hope I get sued one day since that means I must have written a hit song and made plenty of green someone would want from me biggrin.gif

Agree biggrin.gif

Btw,I liked Moore's progression a way more,
Bm7/-5 and E instead of Dm and G is damn sweet. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Dec 9 2008, 09:34 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 9 2008, 09:42 PM
Instructor
This suing business is really putting a music industry on a bad voice. Now when they don't have the money they look for old songs and check out similarities with bigger hits, so they can sue them because it's similar. Well of course the songs can be similar or the same, we all have influences, and maybe Gary heard this song and somehow subconciesly made similar melody, but that doesn't mean these guys can sue him for that. Did they made that song and make a great hit? I don't think so. Why are they suing them, this song was famous because of him, not them that's for sure.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2008, 09:44 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
WOW I didn't know this! Seems like a clean case and court already made a decision....I hate to believe it but I don't think this could be a coincidence at all sad.gif I can't really understand musician hearing a cool song of unknown artist and stealing it (thinking no one will care)... sad.gif That is just sad...Its cool that he made a hit song out of it (promotion) but It wasn't his idea at start to begin with so its sad sad.gif

And music is "infinite" !! You can't make same two songs if you don't do it deliberately.You can make something similar maybe but not sooo similar that you get sued for that (like these cases with Garry and Coldplay)..I'm not saying hitting same progression , but whole deal that makes a song...(arrangement, rhythm , solos , etc)...There are strict rules when it comes to assessing what is a plagiarism and what isn't...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 9 2008, 09:45 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 9 2008, 09:49 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
The original solo from Jud's Gallery is far from being THAT close to Gary Moores solo, at least that's what I've heard..
I think they've ben putting out newer videos of themselves, where they infact have copied Gary Moore a little smile.gif

I read a long story about that somewhere on the web..

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 9 2008, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 9 2008, 09:49 PM) *
The original solo from Jud's Gallery is far from being THAT close to Gary Moores solo, at least that's what I've heard..
I think they've ben putting out newer videos of themselves, where they infact have copied Gary Moore a little smile.gif

I read a long story about that somewhere on the web..

The thought hit me when I watched it, the take was from 2007 and the song only played live and on radio. So maybe they themselves spiced it up the Moore way a little bit, intentional or unintentional, he should sue them right back for copying his version of their version. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Dec 9 2008, 10:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 9 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Well of course the songs can be similar or the same, we all have influences, and maybe Gary heard this song and somehow subconciesly made similar melody

That is what I am talking about, it can happen to anyone, it is not stealing

--------------------
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 9 2008, 11:35 PM
Instructor
You guys are right!
2007 version is not good for comparison
We need the original back from 70's. If that is in fact what they played then like they did on this 2007 live video , then they have clear case against Gary. Same key , same rhythm , more than 90% identical pitches , only slight harmonic variation etc
However as I said before , that melody is pretty much a Sequence in A natural minor going up by 3 notes and coming down, then moved trough the chords by diatonic 2nds. Anybody could have done that. I am thinking there is probably dozen more people that would do or did the same thing over exact same chord progression... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 10 2008, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 9 2008, 11:35 PM) *
You guys are right!
2007 version is not good for comparison
We need the original back from 70's.

I've talked with Gary and he's going to make a mp3 for us of a take from the 70's that me made with a concealed tape recorded in one of their shows ohmy.gif

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 10 2008, 12:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 10 2008, 12:11 AM) *
I've talked with Gary and he's going to make a mp3 for us of a take from the 70's that me made with a concealed tape recorded in one of their shows ohmy.gif

wink.gif

I am so bad with sarcasm help me out here... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:41 AM