F Chord, makes me angry lol
glengraf88
Mar 5 2009, 05:23 AM
GMC:er
I am currently working on https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-and-arpeggios/
I am stuck on the f chord and i wanna learn this lesson so bad it has been giveing me troubles for a while but i was just getting the hang of it when WHAMMM!!! F CHORD I have been trying for like an hour or 2 trying to figure it out can anybody help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
SensE
Mar 5 2009, 05:33 AM
Cool down, mate. See if I can help. Are you having trouble with the fretting Barre Chord F or switching chord to F?
I assume it's the first case, Your index finger has to be strong which can be trained by barring it lot more. Barring for 1 hour may not help, you might want to take a break in between and come back to it. Take this into practise everytime u pick up your guitar and soon you can do it.

(Hint: you also have to fret your index finger close enough to the END of the fret, which means close enough to the BAR LINE beween your 1st fret and 2nd fret. This would help by adding more compressive force to teh string.)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 5 2009, 09:51 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Take it easy man, when I started out, it took me like 3 weeks from the point I leaned the shape to the point of actually being able to fret it properly, in time it will came, just be sure you're doing it the right way and your hand will grow in the right direction to fret it smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 5 2009, 10:55 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
as the others said, cool down smile.gif it`ll come, I can remember when I first started actually putting my left hand fretting fingers into position using my right hand laugh.gif they just wouldnt go where I wanted them to go so I had to physically put them there.

In time your fingers will strengthen up and the brain/finger memory thing will all kick into place and you`ll have no problems smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 5 2009, 11:14 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Only time can help here, I remember how furious I was about barre chords. I fretted all the notes "correctly" , than strummed them and "!#$$#^@$%#" half the strings weren't ringing at all, and what I heard was a noise my ears couldn't stand laugh.gif But after time everything started to work:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 5 2009, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Take your time, it'll come naturally after a while,
barre chords are indeed tricky if you never played them before,
I even promised to myself that I'm never gonna play those stupid barre chords,
it was long long time ago and I was very young. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 5 2009, 03:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Mar 5 2009, 02:18 PM) *
Take your time, it'll come naturally after a while,
barre chords are indeed tricky if you never played them before,
I even promised to myself that I'm never gonna play those stupid barre chords,
it was long long time ago and I was very young. smile.gif

You're not the only one who did that laugh.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 5 2009, 03:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 5 2009, 03:12 PM) *
You're not the only one who did that laugh.gif

Probably wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 5 2009, 03:28 PM
Instructor
Try shorter F chord. Play barre only on the 1st and the 2nd string (1st fret) and don't pick the 6th string. Later it will come naturaly to position your 1st finger across all 6 strings.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 5 2009, 03:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Glen there is no wonder answer that is going to fix your struggle with the barr chord and allow you to just be able to play it. Like I said in my video response to you lastnight. Practice makeing a barr chord and move the barr chord shape around. Emir suggested a good idea above about just barring the 1st and 2nd string for now. Maybe give that a try but your going to have to barr everything at some point. Practice, practice, take a break and practice.

You'll get it man just relax and have some fun. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 5 2009, 04:34 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I too can remember when I first came across my first barre chord many years ago, of course it was F laugh.gif, appeared in a springsteen song I was trying to play on my spanish guitar and made it totally impossible for me to play the song for days, weeks smile.gif

As everyone stated, keep trying. Don't get mad you won't be able to do it in a day, just keep trying for 5/10 minutes now and then, and it will just come naturally.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Oxac
Mar 5 2009, 04:45 PM
I suggest trying the A major barre chord, with root on the fifth fret, sixth string. It's a little easier for beginners I think. Could be because the strings are easier to fret there or because you have more strength because you're closer to your body. But just make sure that every note rings clearly and if it doesn't... keep experimenting untill it does. Now, don't practise too long. 10 mins a day for 1 week should build enough coordination and strength to play them cleanly. When you can play them clean without too much tension in your hand (you've figured out how to distribute your force) you could increase practise time.

The reason that you don't practise for too long is because:

a) You don't want to strain your hands. If you're a beginner these muscles haven't been exercised a lot.
cool.gif You don't want to be demotivated. 2 hours one day won't get you there and you might just put the guitar down... 2 hours spread out on every day for a week will get you there, because it's not just practise time. You need to focus on accuracy + you need to build finger strength. So just make it a habit to pick up the guitar when you have a break or something and work on your chords a little. It will provide a nice break in your other work + it'll do wonders for your playing.
c) It's ineffective. If you practise the same thing for too long you won't really make progress. 1 hour or 2 hours the same day doesn't really make a differance(I think). 1 hour (sleep) 1 hour (sleep) gives so much more. You can however practise several things in several hours to learn more. But I think sleeping is the most important thing when it comes to learning.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 5 2009, 07:00 PM
Instructor
Just practice as bit, and take your time and the sound will come. Also Emir gave a nice advice, try playing the smaller version of the chord, using your index only to fret the first fret of the B string (High and low E strings don't have to be fretted). Once you get used to that fingering, it will be somewhat easier.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 5 2009, 11:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
It will definitely come with a little practice.Barre chords give lots of troubles to all beginners..I would suggest focusing your practice on the chord more.Like repeating any two chords like Am- F , or C - F ....doesn't matter is the first one , just to get a hang of fretting the F barre shape.Good thing is that when you get down that F major chord , any barre chord won't be a problem for you.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 6 2009, 04:03 AM
Instructor
The thing about barre chords that is "un-teachable" is that it's all about balance. You have to practice the balance that your finger has to do. And I say balance because is does not has to do with strenght. So try to get all the notes even but not using too much strenght and putting equal weight on all the strings.
And be pacient wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
kahall
Mar 6 2009, 05:27 AM
Learning Roadie
My first week with the guitar I knew what the F in F chord stood for. But I have renamed many other chords and stretches witnessed here on GMC the same. If I do not have the need for the F and don't play it for a few days I still struggle with it. So, yeah it's common.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
chris1093
Mar 6 2009, 10:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I used to think I had the f chord down fine until I played that lesson and realized that I needed to switch into it faster. It just takes a little bit of practice getting used to putting all that pressure on your finger. It might help you if you slightly roll your index finger on the side.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:45 PM