Could You Help Me With An Amp Selection?
inertia
Mar 24 2008, 12:17 AM
GMC:er
Hi everybody,

I sold most of my gear a couple of months ago to purchase an American Fender Strat Deluxe, so all I am using right now is the guitar with my podxt live and headphones.
I'm hurting for an amp pretty bad and will be buying one again shortly, I just don't know what to buy. I had a Marshall 30dfx and found it pretty weak, I wish I had read the reviews on this site before I had purchased it.
Anyway, the style I play is mostly blues and rock, and some shred/metal, and budget is probably around $4-500 USD. This is only for practice, as I do not play in a band.
I haven't had a chance to check the music store and play any, but currently I'm interested in the Fender Frontman, Fender Blues Junior, Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider 3. I am guessing for the combo amps I'd be getting between 60 and 100 watts, I believe the Fender is a 15 w tube.
Anyway, any feedback if you have experiences with these amps or other amps I have not suggested that would be great.

Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 24 2008, 12:22 AM
Instructor
How about a VOX Valetronix amp? Like the VOX AD50VT or AD100 VT. They are excellent all-around amps and sounds awesome for it's price.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 24 2008, 12:30 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
For rock and blues, and jazz for that matter, I can recomend the Peavey Classic 30W amp. I have one and it sounds absolutely beautiful for those genres.
If you want to be metal or the heavier pieces of rock, you must use effects pedals.

+Quote Post
inertia
Mar 24 2008, 02:06 AM
I have heard good things about vox as well on the board, I just wasn't sure which models were less "metal", the AD50Vt looks like a great amp.
That Peavey looks very nice as well, it would be a comparable to the Fender Blues Junior I am guessing as far as tube amps go except more wattage.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Mar 24 2008, 02:59 AM
Take a look at the Atomic Reactor tube amp. It's a great compliment for the POD and it sounds awesome.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 24 2008, 03:05 AM
QUOTE (inertia @ Mar 24 2008, 12:17 AM) *
Hi everybody,

I sold most of my gear a couple of months ago to purchase an American Fender Strat Deluxe, so all I am using right now is the guitar with my podxt live and headphones.
I'm hurting for an amp pretty bad and will be buying one again shortly, I just don't know what to buy. I had a Marshall 30dfx and found it pretty weak, I wish I had read the reviews on this site before I had purchased it.
Anyway, the style I play is mostly blues and rock, and some shred/metal, and budget is probably around $4-500 USD. This is only for practice, as I do not play in a band.
I haven't had a chance to check the music store and play any, but currently I'm interested in the Fender Frontman, Fender Blues Junior, Roland Cube, Line 6 Spider 3. I am guessing for the combo amps I'd be getting between 60 and 100 watts, I believe the Fender is a 15 w tube.
Anyway, any feedback if you have experiences with these amps or other amps I have not suggested that would be great.

Thanks smile.gif

I can believe im saying this.....take a look at the crate v32 an el84 amp. It cover is all and is plenty loud....just a thought

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Tmas
Mar 24 2008, 03:29 AM
I would actually recommend the roland cube.. Its a great practice amp and is plenty loud and has many effects built in.. not that you need one with a pod but its there anways.

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 24 2008, 02:00 PM
Instructor
For your strat and home practice definitely recommend that Fender 15Watter. That's a great solution (as you already have PODxt live). I would stay away form that Line 6 Spider. Valvetronic and Cube are good amps also but you don't need a modelling amp really. All tube 15Watter is the way to go man imho smile.gif

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Mar 24 2008, 02:01 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SamJ
Mar 24 2008, 02:55 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 24 2008, 01:00 PM) *
For your strat and home practice definitely recommend that Fender 15Watter. That's a great solution (as you already have PODxt live). I would stay away form that Line 6 Spider. Valvetronic and Cube are good amps also but you don't need a modelling amp really. All tube 15Watter is the way to go man imho smile.gif

Yeah, I agree. I would definitely try to stay away from modelling amps, in my opinion they sound too digital. Maybe look into some all tube Laney's or Vox's.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Mar 24 2008, 03:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Iam looking at this one at the moment what do you think?
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-ac15---cc1/69345

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 24 2008, 04:04 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (inertia @ Mar 23 2008, 10:06 PM) *
I have heard good things about vox as well on the board, I just wasn't sure which models were less "metal", the AD50Vt looks like a great amp.
That Peavey looks very nice as well, it would be a comparable to the Fender Blues Junior I am guessing as far as tube amps go except more wattage.

I have the AD30VT and love it. Vox has the valvetronic XL line which is more "metal" so I think the original line would be what your looking for. It's a very good amp for the buck that's for sure.

The Valvetronic lines are modelling amps so you may want to keep that in mind as well if your looking for something to run your XT live through. Bit of overkill on the modelling. But will work just the same.

rok

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:34 AM