Nootropics And Guitar Practice, Anyone tried?
PosterBoy
Feb 10 2012, 11:19 AM
Learning Roadie
I know a few people taking things like modafinil, piracetam etc as a study aid.

Anyone tried them for guitar practice and learning theory?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2012, 12:29 PM
Instructor
Hmm, not sure man. I don't have any experience with these, and really, wouldn't count on it. I think apples, chocolate, tea, or coffee is good enough "aid" for learning, and if you learn in some normal daylight time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ItSME3
Feb 10 2012, 01:54 PM
GMC:er
Hey man, who are these guys you are hanging out with ? First of all since I am a scientist working in a medical discipline I do know some stuff about these drugs. Stay away from them. modafinil is an analeptic used to treat narcolepsia. It will make you stay awake. So perhaps you can practice longer without falling asleep but: depending on the studies you look at, it might be adictive by itself or not. However they all agree that in people with a tendency for substance abuse, it is addictive. In addition it impairs liver function. I know you kids like to drink and pop this type of brainboosters. Bad idea.
piracetam is a so called cognitive enhancer with interesting activities. Anyway most of the studies showing effects in healthy poeple are somewhat debated. Some of the studies are outright bad (in the sense of small sample numbers-satistics bad...). Is does have, at least in vtiro and in animal models, an effect on neuron excitability which might modulate neuronal plasticity. This explains its impact on memory functions.It is not clear if piracetam is addictive however it does have side effects . In general stay away from all that brainbooster stuff. Stay away from all drugs (you might laugh at me know) just play your guitar.

You don't need that stuff

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 10 2012, 02:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Good to know ItSME3. I know some interesting people!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 10 2012, 02:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm no expert but if something looks too good to be true, it is biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 10 2012, 02:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 10 2012, 02:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ItSME3 @ Feb 10 2012, 12:54 PM) *
In general stay away from all that brainbooster stuff. Stay away from all drugs (you might laugh at me know) just play your guitar.

You don't need that stuff

Yeah, that's about it really.

I always remember a guy coming to our school (second school) to do a talk on drugs and their effects. He tols us a story about this guy who was a gifted guitar player. He went to some music school and a fellow student encouraged him to try speed as it would help him 'play faster' etc.. it toally wrecked the guy and apparantly he wanders the town of wherever he lives just waving his hands around. That story always stuck with me.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 12 2012, 10:33 AM
Instructor
Mate, our brain is an extraordinary organism smile.gif you do not need artificial catalysts in order to obtain results. Focus, discipline, willpower, dedication and most of all THE LOVE for music and the guitar will get you ANYWHERE! Being a shredder =/= being a musician and viceversa smile.gif speed is not the answer but a tiny bit of all the complex.

C'mon, pour yourself a cup of tea, bust a few tabs of chocolate and get practicing!! NOW laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 12 2012, 07:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 10 2012, 08:20 AM) *
Yeah, that's about it really.

I always remember a guy coming to our school (second school) to do a talk on drugs and their effects. He tols us a story about this guy who was a gifted guitar player. He went to some music school and a fellow student encouraged him to try speed as it would help him 'play faster' etc.. it toally wrecked the guy and apparantly he wanders the town of wherever he lives just waving his hands around. That story always stuck with me.

I think those school lectures that discuss the effects of drugs make people want to do drugs. A sense of euphoria and enhanced sensitivity? Sure, why not?

Telling kids not to do drugs at all and telling them all drugs are bad is counterproductive. This is tactic is especially troublesome when it comes to marijuana. Because eventually, a kid will smoke a small quantity of marijuana, and see that it has none of the negative effects that their teachers warned them about. The kid then assumes that since their teachers lied about the negative effects of marijuana, they probably also lied about the effects of the more hardcore drugs, like crack and meth. Those drugs really will mess you up and ruin your life.

It is a mistake to put all drugs in the same category, because clearly they are not. This is especially troublesome considering some of the worst drugs, alcohol and nicotine, are readily available in unlimited quantities for relatively little money.

Drugs most likely won't help an individual learn a skill any faster. There are natural things one can do to improve brain function. Going on long distance runs will greatly improve oxygen quantity in the blood system. The brain works best when it has plenty of oxygen. Also, Omega-3 fatty acids are one of the main building blocks of the sheath that surrounds the neurons in the brain. This sheath is called myelin, and the more wraps it has, the more proficient you become at your skill.

So if you want to improve your mental functions, take the great advice everybody else gave - exercise plenty and eat well biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:59 AM