New Mix Creeps, constructive critisism
ballistic31
Oct 9 2007, 06:52 PM
GMC:er
Attached File  creeps.mp3 ( 6.38MB ) Number of downloads: 232
well with all the feedback emails and ims i have been getting about my song called creeps ........I took alot of advice about mixing and about the song in general.......lots of great tips .........and as allways guitar players want more solos bass player want more bass in the mix..........some wanted more parts cause it bored them to tears .... I was kind of hopeing a few instructors would jump on the band wagon as well,,,after all that is why we are here ,,,,,,,,,but you cant have everything laugh.gif .... so thru constructive critisism I worked on the mix

I panned the gutiars 1 left 100% and one right 100% put the bass in the center raised the volume

wrote a new solo for the intro .........put a solo on the last verse shortened it up by half got the compresstion off the guitar tracks and . put it in a aux along with reverb a dynamics filter and a few other sound aiding tools.............I had no idea what buss to put what or where or how or why.... thanks for all the help with the set up on that........I now know where there are so many buttons cause you need them all laugh.gif

but there is still some issues i cant seem for the life of me to get the snare to have that nice pop to it when it should ...............that and the solos sound so tinny no matter how much i eq them.......I dont know why im useing the same patch as the rhythm guitar.......and that sounds fine .........It is the same patch marcus lavendell has for a download.......great patch ......... so im not sure why they get all tinny on me sound great in the room........then sounds diferent recorded blink.gif

well at any rate here is the new mix thru construtive critisism

and as you all know any feedback is allways welcome good or bad,,,,,,,I have seen my share of both laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[size=3][b]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
PlayAllDay
Oct 10 2007, 02:27 PM
Yep I like this mix - it sounds much more developed than the earlier version. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Oct 11 2007, 12:07 PM
Very cool, i like the intro alot. Although i havent checked the previous recording you did.

nice solos too.

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Oct 11 2007, 12:11 PM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Oct 11 2007, 02:36 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Oct 11 2007, 06:07 AM) *
Very cool, i like the intro alot. Although i havent checked the previous recording you did.

nice solos too.

thanks fretdancer im glad you liked it .....the previous one was pretty much the same just mixed pretty poorly .......I am getting alot of good advice from everyone though........so thats cool ..... how are the lessons going ..and are you going to upload anything you have been working on ........

QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Oct 10 2007, 08:27 AM) *
Yep I like this mix - it sounds much more developed than the earlier version. smile.gif

thanks and i took you advise on the panning ....I got anouther good tip today im going to check out about i think its a plugin not sure yet .......called ravaler mk2.... a tube amp sim supose to turn you sound into a amazing piece of work .......I glad to see you could stop by again as well ......so when do i get to here an upload.........dont be holdin back on us now laugh.gif .....Its ok i dont think anyone here bites i know i dont ....well not sence the mail man incodent a few years back but thats anouther story all together laugh.gif j/k
so there might be anouther upload lol..............people are going to hate me here soon lol
take care and thanks agin for listening

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 11 2007, 04:19 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Very good.
I think you also made the bass work rather good with the drums aswell though it kind of follows the melody at the same time.

Vocals should be loud, you got that right, but I wonder how they would sound just a tad lower in volume

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Oct 11 2007, 06:23 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 11 2007, 10:19 AM) *
Very good.
I think you also made the bass work rather good with the drums aswell though it kind of follows the melody at the same time.

Vocals should be loud, you got that right, but I wonder how they would sound just a tad lower in volume

thanks mikem...I think you are right on the vocals being a bit to loud....I just downloaded IZOTOPE OZONE3 to give it a whirl...............and wow what a cool program for mastering ........and editing cause it brought out alot of stuff in the mix i didnt even know was there .....that and the vocals where so clear and a bit much.........so i am going to lower them a bit it will give the music a lil more punch.... well on the bass i originaly played it to the drums.....but it was a rather boring bass line....so i decided to combine the bounce of the drums and the guitar swing.........to make it a littel more interesting and fun to play......

once i get all the glitches out and get a good solo sound. Im going to master it...see what kind of feedback i get...........and go from there .. feedback definaly helps out alot with the learning curb...........

thanks for the compliment and shareing you ideas with me...and i will be sure to add you name in on the final posting .......with you idea
take care and thanks once again

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Oct 13 2007, 03:33 PM
QUOTE (ballistic31 @ Oct 11 2007, 09:36 PM) *
I glad to see you could stop by again as well ......so when do i get to here an upload.........dont be holdin back on us now laugh.gif .....Its ok i dont think anyone here bites i know i dont ....well not sence the mail man incodent a few years back but thats anouther story all together laugh.gif j/k
so there might be anouther upload lol..............people are going to hate me here soon lol
take care and thanks agin for listening

I'm looking forward to another upload - no haters here I think tongue.gif
I agree that with the vocal backed off a little it would bring the mix into a sweeter spot.
I will be brave sooooon - haha - I love putting off bravery!
I'm recording a bunch of songs at the moment so when I get to a good spot with one I'll put it up for comment.
Thanks for being interested! Good luck with the next mix. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Oct 14 2007, 05:35 PM
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Oct 13 2007, 09:33 AM) *
I'm looking forward to another upload - no haters here I think tongue.gif
I agree that with the vocal backed off a little it would bring the mix into a sweeter spot.
I will be brave sooooon - haha - I love putting off bravery!
I'm recording a bunch of songs at the moment so when I get to a good spot with one I'll put it up for comment.
Thanks for being interested! Good luck with the next mix. biggrin.gif

well we had anouther battel today with the mix but...sence i had seem to have been a bit on the hot side of life.with my inputs..................i have tamed them all down and got alot better controll over things with plenty of headroom..........thanks to the recording lesson page......I acutualy burt it on a cd last night after running it thru the master stuff.......I thought i had it ......sounded realy good.........that is till i put it in the cd player in the car...........and was like this sounds like crap what happen.......so i hit eject powered down the window...........and gave it a road test...... dont worry no wild animals where harmed in the test laugh.gif

cool beans about the upload.......love the (putting off bravery comment)........just think if every super hero you ever knew said that once or twice lol ...........they would probly be a little more interesting ....just wake up in the morning look at the suite.........and shake there head not today bravery cant wait till tomorrow...

well maybee tomorrow if i have time i will pull up my big boy bravery pants tongue.gif and upload..... the song again lol ................thats if it passes the road test laugh.gif

talk with you soon............take care

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 14 2007, 07:40 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
BTW Ballistic,
couple of things about when you record for rendering ootb. If you're mixing and recording for a cd/mp3 its often best to set your record preferences to 44.1kHz and either 16 or 24 bit depth (basically as those are cd standard).

At the mix stage try to hear the mix through different speakers and headphones. I think what you've come across with your car stereo is common to a lot of amateur/semi-pro recording - sounds great through your studio monitors but cack through a hifi.

If you can't mix using different speakers another way is to take a music cd you know really well on your hifi/car stereo etc and see what it sounds like on your recording/mixing set up. That will give you some idea of what frequencies your set up emphasises or attenuates.

Sorry for going OT.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Oct 15 2007, 07:09 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 14 2007, 01:40 PM) *
BTW Ballistic,
couple of things about when you record for rendering ootb. If you're mixing and recording for a cd/mp3 its often best to set your record preferences to 44.1kHz and either 16 or 24 bit depth (basically as those are cd standard).

At the mix stage try to hear the mix through different speakers and headphones. I think what you've come across with your car stereo is common to a lot of amateur/semi-pro recording - sounds great through your studio monitors but cack through a hifi.

If you can't mix using different speakers another way is to take a music cd you know really well on your hifi/car stereo etc and see what it sounds like on your recording/mixing set up. That will give you some idea of what frequencies your set up emphasises or attenuates.

Sorry for going OT.

Cheers,
Tony

Hi tony.............n/p you have been a great help..........never thought about the cd thuogh the recording gear.........what a concept......probly would give me a reference about eq...........I got 7 days left on the ozone demo.........but i think im going to buy it ..........I think it needs alot of know how to use it the more i get into this whole deal like .............dithering and stereo imageing.....cause what i think of them and what they do are two whole diferent things and the eqs are just wacky...........

I at first thought it was a god send now i see it as a whole new park to play in...and there is a bully whole controlls the whole place lol ...........Or a wizard who is like ......................forfill the quest i give you at hand ...the rewards with be remarkable lol .........I guess it might be time to invest in a few more books laugh.gif ........starting to think i have a library more than a studio lol........... but one day i will be the greatest home studio mixer and cd maker ....on my whole street...............( laugh.gif evil laugh ) and they will all envy my talents lol

thanks again tony for the words of wisdom im sure
i will neeed more before im done so dont go anywhere

ballistic

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:59 PM