9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Claudiostrat's Boootcamp
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2020, 09:00 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/claudiosbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Oct 13 2020, 05:25 PM
Learning Roadie
lesson #1 attempt
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 9 2020, 08:00 PM) *
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bit.ly/claudiosbootcamp

Practice!
Sarge

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2020, 03:46 AM
Welcome to the fight Soldier!! Your clearly able to play at this speed. Congrats there. However, it sounds like you are drifting in and out of synch with the metronome. If you are not used to working with a click, it will take a bit of practice to get used to it. I'd suggest slowing the metronome down a bit. Speed is a byproduct of precision and therefore speed is impossible without precision. So focus on the precision first and the speed will just come. Try to make a pick strike with each click on the metronome. There is no speed requirement in bootcamp but there is a precision requirement. You can easily play this drill, I need you to tie it directly to the clicks. You can increase the speed of the clicks and slow your playing a bit, and that way you get a reference click for each and every strike. It makes it easier to lock in to the beat. Eventually, you won't need the metronome. It will become part of your being. For now, it's an important part of the puzzle!!

Once more in to the breach!!!

Also, if possible, try to use a distorted tone on these drills. It doesn't have to be a lot of distortion, just a bit will do. It will exaggerate any slips ups in palm muting or string noise which makes them easier to spot and fix. If it's not possible to do, then we will work around it. If it is possible, it will only help move things forward in your journey.

Sarge

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Oct 14 2020, 06:11 PM
Learning Roadie
TAKE 2 wink.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 14 2020, 02:46 AM) *
Welcome to the fight Soldier!! Your clearly able to play at this speed. Congrats there. However, it sounds like you are drifting in and out of synch with the metronome. If you are not used to working with a click, it will take a bit of practice to get used to it. I'd suggest slowing the metronome down a bit. Speed is a byproduct of precision and therefore speed is impossible without precision. So focus on the precision first and the speed will just come. Try to make a pick strike with each click on the metronome. There is no speed requirement in bootcamp but there is a precision requirement. You can easily play this drill, I need you to tie it directly to the clicks. You can increase the speed of the clicks and slow your playing a bit, and that way you get a reference click for each and every strike. It makes it easier to lock in to the beat. Eventually, you won't need the metronome. It will become part of your being. For now, it's an important part of the puzzle!!

Once more in to the breach!!!

Also, if possible, try to use a distorted tone on these drills. It doesn't have to be a lot of distortion, just a bit will do. It will exaggerate any slips ups in palm muting or string noise which makes them easier to spot and fix. If it's not possible to do, then we will work around it. If it is possible, it will only help move things forward in your journey.

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2020, 05:04 AM
Better!! I don't want you to get stuck here just out of the gate Soldier. So we are gonna badge this one up and Move Forward!! I'm going to do more of a review than my usual 'Bullet Point" critique, as this is one that needs greater feedback based on what I'm seeing in the vid. Let's cover the POSITIVE things first! You are doing much better here than the first video. You are much closer to keeping synch in this one. For the first half of the video, it's a huge improvement so well done!! Let's talk about some of the issues. The second half of the video starts to have more issues. Your synch begins to drift a good bit more. It could be simple hand fatique. You may still be pushing the speed a bit too far as your synch control seems to to get loose the longer you play it. The first half of the video shows that you can keep it in synch, even if just for a bit. Also, your tone could use a bit more distortion so add a bit more next time. Lastly, your right hand palm mute position needs some work. I want you to try to place your palm on the bridge to mute all of the strings. It looks like you are not palm muting very much at all in the vid and this leads to string noise, especially if there is distortion (typical lead tone) on the signal. That's part of why I want you to use more distortion, to let string noise stand out so that you can practice your palm mute and prepare for whats to come. This is going to be a tricky bit. If you are not used to picking while muting, it does take some practice. Try to leave your palm mute on the bridge and articulate the pick with your thumb and first finger. This will feel very odd at first. Eventually it will feel very easy and it will allow you to play open string licks, multi string licks, etc. without fear of string noise.

You've made enough progress to get you your first badge Soldier!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

ONWARD to Mission 2!!
Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Oct 14 2020, 01:11 PM) *
TAKE 2 wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 15 2020, 05:13 AM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Oct 27 2020, 08:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

first time I palm mute here, a bit tricky but getting use to it. 2 diff speed in the video, had to slow this down quite bit. I can probably go a bit quicker but would like you to have a sanity check at technique unsure.gif .

Cheers,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2020, 02:29 AM
Congrats on doing a palm mute! This is a crucial foundational technique and you will use it quite a bit here and in solo guitar playing. You are off to a good start but you drift from the beat after a few strikes. Don't worry about speed. There is never a speed requirement in bootcamp. Only a precision requirement. Speed is just a byproduct of precision. When your precision is on point, speed is a simple matter of repetition. Try to time each pick strike to a click. Slow it down as much as you have to, these are not shred licks, these are just the introduction missions to get you used to muting while picking and playing in an steady and even manner. Increase the number of clicks and slow down your playing a bit to match each click with a pick strike and your internal metronome will start to develop.

Once more Soldier!!

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Oct 27 2020, 03:50 PM) *
Hi,

first time I palm mute here, a bit tricky but getting use to it. 2 diff speed in the video, had to slow this down quite bit. I can probably go a bit quicker but would like you to have a sanity check at technique unsure.gif .

Cheers,

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Nov 1 2020, 03:06 PM
Learning Roadie
mission 2, take 2. Went back to strike at every click (at least attempted...) tried at different speed

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2020, 12:02 PM
Much better on synch Soldier!!! Things looked good right up until 280 BPM. But let's look at those before that.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*FORM: You are displaying solid technique here Soldier. keep it up! Muting, hand synch, clean strikes.It's all starting to come together Soldier!

*TEMPO: Not rushing or lagging. Good job keeping it under control!

*AGGRESSION: Jumping in with aggressive style and verve. Keep it up!

You show some very good progress Soldier. You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

You clearly have all the elements well in hand Soldier. You are ready for what awaits you!
You just ...

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 1 2020, 10:06 AM) *
mission 2, take 2. Went back to strike at every click (at least attempted...) tried at different speed

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Nov 8 2020, 11:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Mission 3 on a few speeds

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2020, 05:45 AM
Your form is much better on your picking hand here Soldier!!! I do notice that it looks like you are doing two up strokes on the same string sometimes? This is meant to be a pure alternate picking drill. So start with a down stroke and switch strokes each time. E.G. Down/up/down/up. While you are playing this, leave your left hand in on position on the fretboard and loop this pattern. Now look at your right hand. Play very slowly. Slowly enough to see if you are using pure alternate picking. Each strike should alternate strike direction. When you use two up strokes on the lower string, you break the discipline that this lick is trying to create. It may feel very odd at first, but I'm certain you can do it. Your hands may fight you a bit. This is normal. You can even take your left hand off of the guitar and just focus on the picking. 3 strikes on the higher string, 3 strikes on the lower string, and see if you notice your hand wanting to do two upstrokes in a row. Isolate this until you can get your picking hand to play only alternate strikes and then add notes back in, then add fret traverse up the neck back in and bam you should be ready to badge up!!

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 8 2020, 06:20 PM) *
Mission 3 on a few speeds

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Nov 9 2020, 06:38 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 9 2020, 04:45 AM) *
Your form is much better on your picking hand here Soldier!!! I do notice that it looks like you are doing two up strokes on the same string sometimes? This is meant to be a pure alternate picking drill. So start with a down stroke and switch strokes each time. E.G. Down/up/down/up. While you are playing this, leave your left hand in on position on the fretboard and loop this pattern. Now look at your right hand. Play very slowly. Slowly enough to see if you are using pure alternate picking. Each strike should alternate strike direction. When you use two up strokes on the lower string, you break the discipline that this lick is trying to create. It may feel very odd at first, but I'm certain you can do it. Your hands may fight you a bit. This is normal. You can even take your left hand off of the guitar and just focus on the picking. 3 strikes on the higher string, 3 strikes on the lower string, and see if you notice your hand wanting to do two upstrokes in a row. Isolate this until you can get your picking hand to play only alternate strikes and then add notes back in, then add fret traverse up the neck back in and bam you should be ready to badge up!!

Sarge

Good spot!

I did not realize that I was breaking the alternate picking pattern at times ( i was so focused on the timing... lol)

cheers

This post has been edited by ClaudioStrat: Nov 9 2020, 06:39 PM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Nov 9 2020, 09:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Worked on that alternate picking little issue, I just had to focus on it a little unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2020, 12:21 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! Your technique continues to improve with each mission. I know these may seem less than intricate, but rest assured that getting a grip on these fonmdational techniques will serve you well when the shrapnel starts to fly!!
Lets' Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICK OF DESTINY:
Alternate Picking is at the core of this lick. Without good alt picking technique, this lick won't work. You are working your way in to very solid AP technique.

TRAVERSAL OF FORTUNE: Non stop fret traverse is required on this one. Not only are you traversing strings, but non stop fret traverse as a bonus. Your fingers keep it high and tight!

PINKY TIME: Good use of the pinky here! On the lower frets, Pinky Power is crucial. It's tempting to use the first three fingers on a lick like this, glad to see you leaning on the pinky!!

You just..
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

The one thing that I notice which could use a pinch of polish is that you seem to using a nearly flat angle when addressing the string. if one's pick is not sharp enough, this can be a natural result. However, it's not ideal. For these drills, it is best if you can use a very very very sharp pick 1.0 mm or thicker. If you are using a somewhat pointy pick, grab a pocket knife and sharpen the pick to a very fine point. This will help train the hand. Also, adjust your pick angle just a bit. If the pick tip is sharp enough, you can angle the pick vertically or horizontally and it won't matter. For these missions, try to angle your pick a bit forward and down at a slight angle. This allows optimal position of the hand. I"m going through my vids to find a good one as an example.

Ok Soldier. Example 1. Notice how the amount of pick wag decreases as I speed up. Also notice the pick angle. The angle of attack/address is important as it sets up an optimal position for the hand.

In example 2, notice that my palm stays planted on the bridge. I don't lift or shift. I'm using thumb/finger articulation and using part of my hand and just a pinch of wrist. I've isolated to a single note.

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 9 2020, 04:34 PM) *
Worked on that alternate picking little issue, I just had to focus on it a little unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 11 2020, 02:36 AM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Nov 18 2020, 10:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

mission 4 for review below. Palm muting on the high strings is definitely trickier, but kind of doing it.
Added a few speeds, Bpm are on 5 notes in this one.

Cheers,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2020, 06:20 AM
Progress!! Let's break this down and move forward.

Your getting the idea soldier! The mute is solid. I do notice that during the last run at the highest speed, you are getting some sort of string noise in between the higher and lower string. But only at the fastest speed. Overall we are making good progress.

For next time.

1.)Sharpen a pick with a pocket knife and use just the very tip to strike.

2.)Add more gain. There isn't enough gain / distortion on your tone for me to hear what's happening with the mute.

3.)A bit less pick pressure. More gain should help you use less pick pressure.

4.)Bit less mute as the strings are flattening out. Keep the mute steady, just a bit less mute pressure.

Onward! You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 18 2020, 05:28 PM) *
Hi Todd,

mission 4 for review below. Palm muting on the high strings is definitely trickier, but kind of doing it.
Added a few speeds, Bpm are on 5 notes in this one.

Cheers,

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Nov 25 2020, 07:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Mission 5 for review, few speeds as usual. Thanks

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 27 2020, 03:22 AM
You are making great gains Soldier!!! Your right and left hand technique are improving with each mission. Your right hand technique has come a long way. Your picking is synched and tight. And your mute is very solid. This Video shows how well you have developed. Even at the higher speeds you don't drift from the metronome. Impressive!! Can you shoot me a picture of the pick you are using? I want to see how pointy it is. A pointy pick can open up new worlds in your playing. It's a small thing that can have a HUGE impact. I think you are more than ready for what's ahead. It's going to get crazy but you are ready to face it Soldier!!

In Short you just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Nov 25 2020, 02:30 PM) *
Mission 5 for review, few speeds as usual. Thanks

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Dec 7 2020, 08:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Mission 6 here

Cheers

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2020, 12:07 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! This is one of my favorite licks. It's the first thing I learned to play fast. It's a bit complicated as there are variations on whether to strike the pedal tone vs the other notes. Being able to do a double strike and then single then double etc. Can be very confusing for the fingers. At speed, it ends up sounding like you are playing far more notes than are actually being played. Keep this drill handy and try to spend a bit of time on it during your warm up for practice. You'll pick up new warmup/drills as you progress. So they will change as you go. Also, I LOVE this lick for solo work. I use it all the time as it always ends up sounding good! This requires good hand synch and solid palm mute and strike consistency. You've put all of it together
and put it a great take. You are ready for what's next Soldier!! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Dec 7 2020, 03:45 PM) *
Hi,

Mission 6 here

Cheers

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:42 AM