> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

124 Pages V  « < 121 122 123 124 >  
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
Sep 28 2020, 07:52 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I read that about five times, I understand it a little bit, I'll look into it some more. As I've said before, I find music theory very confusing, my confusion starts with an octave (Oct = 8) having 12 tones in it and they're not all equally spaced, obviously, otherwise there would be 16, 32, 48 etc, it's things like that which fool a mechanical engineer like me, maybe I'm overthinking it, laugh.gif

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 1 2020, 06:26 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
</div>[color="#000000"][/color

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 28 2020, 01:40 PM
Instructor
hahah don't overthink. Do you remember Karate Kid? Think that I'm some kind of guitar Miyagi for you, just trust and enjoy. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 28 2020, 02:18 PM
laugh.gif I have that personality trait where I struggle to accept without understanding. I'll always accept advice but if someone says, "That would sound better with an F7#13 chord" I'd take the advice, do the job and then ask, "Why does it sound better and why is it called F7#13??????"

Sorry Mr Miyagi, it's isn't that I don't trust you but I have a thirst for knowledge, now where are my polishing cloths? I have some wax on wax off to be doing.

Okay, so if I play a Gm as the v chord after the F that will be okay? Even though you've used F major?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 28 2020, 02:56 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 28 2020, 09:04 PM
UPDATE TO THE ABOVE POST:

Please ignoe the timing, I actually had to edit the gaps out a little bit because I realised I've never learnt the Cm chord, it seems impossible to play the open version which on my chord chart shows it like this with 1st finger on the D#, 2nd on the C, 3rd on the C( A string) and 4th on the G, so I used the Am shape barre chord for the first example.

To my ears this sounds okay:

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/3-chords-gabs-key

But to my ears, this sounds better, why do you think that is?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/3-chords-diff-key

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2020, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! I think that both versions sound good, you can go for the one that you feel more comfortable in this case.

Before we continue, what's the key of my progression?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 29 2020, 02:53 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 29 2020, 02:28 PM) *
Before we continue, what's the key of my progression?

Thanks Gab,

I can answer that question, C Minor, but I can't take credit for finding out because you told me wink.gif https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=780590

Can you finger that C minor open chord? I find it impossible, it doesn't even feel like I could ever finger it.

As I said, I need to train my fingers for all of the chords except the open G, I rarely play the A minor shape barre chord and F is a little bugger that I steer clear of wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2020, 03:43 PM
Instructor
I rarely use it but this is how I finger it:

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 29 2020, 08:32 PM
Interesting,

So you don't play the G on the high E string? You just let the open G string do its thing?

I'll try to practise my C minor and F chords for a couple of evenings as they are very rusty, then, if it's okay with you, we can keep this running as a side project as and when I get ideas or need a break from the norm. The reason is, I think I'm ready for a new lesson, or should I go back to the lesson I was working on? I think I might give it a try but I need to develop some forearm strength in my left arm. I think just working on that lesson will strengthen my forearm, I just don't want to overwork it.

I'd also like some advice on strumming please, as you probably heard, my strumming doesn't sound like a nice smooth brush across the strings, i don't know why, maybe I hold the pick too tightly but if I hold it loosely it turns in my fingers.

Don't get me wrong, I do still want to work on that song, I just feel a little lost and that I'm not doing enough finger work, I'd like to understand more about what you said about tonalities but i only have so many minutes a day and I can't fit it all in.

We need to come up with a plan to play some blues and think about the song in the background. I just think I need to become a better brick layer before I start designing a house wink.gif

Cheers buddy,

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 30 2020, 09:47 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2020, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

No, I just mute the high E string. The G note is already sounding to I don't find it necessary.

Sure! We can go for a new lesson! I didn't get the last Blues idea that you commented there.

Strumming... Check parts 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 from this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/picnic-panic/

And let me know what you think.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 30 2020, 03:01 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 30 2020, 02:33 PM) *
Sure! We can go for a new lesson! I didn't get the last Blues idea that you commented there.

Thanks Gab,

I just meant, a plan to play some blues, (meaning a blues based lesson but one that doesn't need too much strength due to my injury), improve strumming in general, and still work on the song idea as a side project.

I hope that makes sense. I'll look at that lesson this evening, thank you for your help and understanding buddy.

Cheers

Phil

P.S It makes sense to play that open E minor how you play it, the other way seems virtually impossible, especially to just land on it mid progression blink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 30 2020, 03:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2020, 03:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 30 2020, 11:01 AM) *
I just meant, a plan to play some blues, (meaning a blues based lesson but one that doesn't need too much strength due to my injury), improve strumming in general, and still work on the song idea as a side project.

Some ideas:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SlowBluesinAMinor/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Gary-Clark-Jr-Style/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Easy-Fingerstyle-Blues/

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 30 2020, 11:01 AM) *
P.S It makes sense to play that open E minor how you play it, the other way seems virtually impossible, especially to just land on it mid progression blink.gif

Sorry mate, but again I don't understand what you are talking about here.... is this about the lesson that I've shared or the Cm chord? If it's the Cm chord, I just mute the high E string.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 30 2020, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 30 2020, 03:34 PM) *
Sorry mate, but again I don't understand what you are talking about here.... is this about the lesson that I've shared or the Cm chord? If it's the Cm chord, I just mute the high E string.

Sorry mate, it's me being a dick, yes I meant the C minor in your photograph. I just wonder why the chord chart shows it the way I showed it on the scale generator, it's the same but with two Gs. You need to be some kind of contortionist to finger that one laugh.gif

As for the new rehabilitation lesson, I think the first one is spot on to get my arm going again.

As for the Gary Clarke Junior lesson, check this out https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry740188 wink.gif

The fingerstyle one is something I should work on but I get frustrated trying, I struggle enough with a pick never mind trying to use multiple fingers laugh.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 30 2020, 08:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2020, 10:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 30 2020, 02:35 PM) *
Sorry mate, it's me being a dick, yes I meant the C minor in your photograph. I just wonder why the chord chart shows it the way I showed it on the scale generator, it's the same but with two Gs. You need to be some kind of contortionist to finger that one laugh.gif

Yes, I wouldn't use that shape, it's not comfortable at all, but it depends on the player... look at this guy:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...stretchminator/ laugh.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 30 2020, 02:35 PM) *
As for the new rehabilitation lesson, I think the first one is spot on to get my arm going again.

As for the Gary Clarke Junior lesson, check this out https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry740188 wink.gif

Great! Let's go for the first one!! And yeah, I remember your Gary Clark's take, but you can re-work any lessons as you are in a rehabilitation period.

Please keep me updated!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 4 2020, 08:51 PM
Hello Gab,

I've been trying with that lesson and I've been a total numpty, I couldn't get my head around the timing, I listened hard to the GP5 file, watching the cursor on the screen move along thinking "Man this just doesn't fit, it's not on the offbeat, it's somewhere in between, oh no it's not, what's going on?" THEN I SPOTTED IT, it's played with a triplet rhythm, I've never played a 12bar blues using triplets, or at least not knowingly anyway.

I'll get on it again tomorrow.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 4 2020, 09:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! This is interesting. I think that practicing triplets can be very positive for your rhythm skills. You can listen to the hi-hat to get that '3 per beat" feel.

Are you able to play muted strums in triplets over the backing?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 4 2020, 11:03 PM
Yeah, 123,223,323,423 etc, it just didn't seem right when I was thinking 4/4 wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 4 2020, 11:03 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2020, 12:17 AM
Instructor
Good! Feel free to share a video to let me check if you are playing it right.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 5 2020, 11:53 AM
I'll try to get a video to you this evening buddy.

I was getting mixed up when I said my brain was thinking in 4/4, I know this track is still 4/4, my head was thinking it was 3/4 even though I know the difference between 4/4 and 3/4 and triplets in both lol, my head was thinking triplets was 3/4 rolleyes.gif . I must be getting old laugh.gif

To clarify that I know the difference.

123 223 323 423 123 223 323 423

123 223 323 123 223 323

Unless I'm mistaken wink.gif

I still don't understand 1/8th note triplets though, we'll save that for another day wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2020, 01:09 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Yes, that's right! 3/4, 6/8 and triplets can be confusing. I recommend you to re-check this lessons to clarify triplets:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beat-Basics-2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Triplets-Exercise/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 6 2020, 01:05 PM
Hello Gab,

I'll check those lessons out, thanks.

As requested a couple of posts ago, here is a video of me playing muted triplet strumming, I know on the all down strumming I'm ahead of the beat, I can hear it and the up down strumming is way off on timing, that's another level wink.gif

It's mainly to clarify that I know what triplets are.

Cheers

https://youtu.be/iuYPzl6eeIs

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 6 2020, 01:26 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

124 Pages V  « < 121 122 123 124 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2020 - 08:09 AM