Planning My December Party
SirJamsalot
Jun 1 2012, 10:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
I just reserved a band for my birthday party in december. My band will be the opening act. Has anyone thrown a party like this before? If so, have any wisdom to share on things that make a good party, and things to consider? I'm looking for a good venue with a stage, but not sure how that will fare with a younger under-drinking-age audience if family brings kids, etc.

Tips, party ideas, etc. welcome!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2012, 05:11 AM
GMC:er
Congrats! Sounds like fun smile.gif Good party gigs always involve the audience somehow, not just as a watcher but participants so call people out from the stage, etc. Keep them involved they'll love it wink.gif

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jun 1 2012, 05:26 PM) *
I just reserved a band for my birthday party in december. My band will be the opening act. Has anyone thrown a party like this before? If so, have any wisdom to share on things that make a good party, and things to consider? I'm looking for a good venue with a stage, but not sure how that will fare with a younger under-drinking-age audience if family brings kids, etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 2 2012, 06:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 1 2012, 09:11 PM) *
Congrats! Sounds like fun smile.gif Good party gigs always involve the audience somehow, not just as a watcher but participants so call people out from the stage, etc. Keep them involved they'll love it wink.gif

Sweet advice. Keep the ideas comin!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 2 2012, 09:25 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jun 1 2012, 10:26 PM) *
... not sure how that will fare with a younger under-drinking-age audience if family brings kids, etc.

People here bring young kids, toddlers and babies to gigs all the time. Gigs here are usually in licensed venues but there isn't a problem with under-age drinking and there also isn't any age restriction on just being there. That though is a bit of a legal, cultural and social thing pertinent to S. Spain but maybe not where you are. With young kids it works as everyone is cool about the kids being there and don't get annoyed if the kids run around and do their own thing. What doesn't work is people expecting the kids to sit quietly and listen to the band. So largely it's about trying to make sure people understand and are cool with the kids being there. Maybe also consider having some alternative child centric entertainment set up away from the music - bouncy castle or similar (and the adults will probably join in on that as well).

A little OT maybe but as an anecdote - a friend of ours has received an invite to a wedding reception in the UK that stipulates 'no children'. She's not going because of that clause.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 2 2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor
I think that live Karaoke will ALWAYS do the trick tongue.gif prepare some famous songs which everyone knows and let the audience step up on the stage and perform with you biggrin.gif it's gonna be fun for everyone, I am sure of it!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 2 2012, 06:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 2 2012, 01:25 AM) *
People here bring young kids, toddlers and babies to gigs all the time. Gigs here are usually in licensed venues but there isn't a problem with under-age drinking and there also isn't any age restriction on just being there. That though is a bit of a legal, cultural and social thing pertinent to S. Spain but maybe not where you are. With young kids it works as everyone is cool about the kids being there and don't get annoyed if the kids run around and do their own thing. What doesn't work is people expecting the kids to sit quietly and listen to the band. So largely it's about trying to make sure people understand and are cool with the kids being there. Maybe also consider having some alternative child centric entertainment set up away from the music - bouncy castle or similar (and the adults will probably join in on that as well).

A little OT maybe but as an anecdote - a friend of ours has received an invite to a wedding reception in the UK that stipulates 'no children'. She's not going because of that clause.

In the U.S., kids' aren't allowed in establishments that serve only alcohol - most venues here fit that bill. But I don't want to exclude families because this is a birthday party! I love your idea of a kid-zone!! I'm gonna give that thought! thanks!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 2 2012, 03:19 AM) *
I think that live Karaoke will ALWAYS do the trick tongue.gif prepare some famous songs which everyone knows and let the audience step up on the stage and perform with you biggrin.gif it's gonna be fun for everyone, I am sure of it!

What a GREAT IDEA! Thanks!
Chris!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:48 PM