One Sword To Rule Them All?
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2015, 04:48 PM
GMC:er
This sword is something of a Mystery as it's engraved in a language that nobody can read. I thought it was Runes or something similar but evidently not. Either way it's sure a badass sword. It looks like it's straight form Lord of The Rings eh?

Any ideas?
Here is the inscription
+NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI++NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI++NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+Attached Image
+NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI++NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI++NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 16 2015, 05:00 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 16 2015, 05:08 PM
Well, there was no 'W' in use until the 16th cent.
Y or UU was used for the sound before that *and to this day in modern Italian, W still does not exist in their alphabet (no K either).

They can easily date the metal. Where's that pic from?
My guess - modern prop.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Aug 16 2015, 05:50 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
It says "If you are close enough to read this, you are about to lose your head."

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 16 2015, 09:35 PM
Learning Roadie
google is our friend dear Todd !!

https://www.google.fr/search?q=NDXOXCHWDRGH...CFQZtFAodycoCxw

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2015, 11:47 PM
Hehe. Not a prop smile.gif It's the real deal. Here is a link to a site with some info.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=20639

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 16 2015, 12:08 PM) *
Well, there was no 'W' in use until the 16th cent.
Y or UU was used for the sound before that *and to this day in modern Italian, W still does not exist in their alphabet (no K either).

They can easily date the metal. Where's that pic from?
My guess - modern prop.

Always smile.gif Sadly, The google search mostly leads to more pictures of the sword.

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Aug 16 2015, 04:35 PM) *

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 16 2015, 11:51 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Aug 16 2015, 06:50 PM) *
It says "If you are close enough to read this, you are about to lose your head."

LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

On a serious note, I have always been fascinated by artifacts and historic items. I always wondered about the history of some things I had and bought used. It is weird but it would be really awesome if used music gear would come with history who played on it, what, when.... Similar things I wondered about my car too hahahahha smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2015, 11:55 PM
That would be cool!! A sort of pedigree to let you know where it's been and who has played it, etc. I"d pay a bit extra actually for the history of instruments if it was an option. Maybe we should carve strange runes on our guitars and somebody will dig them up some day and wonder?

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 16 2015, 06:51 PM) *
LOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

On a serious note, I have always been fascinated by artifacts and historic items. I always wondered about the history of some things I had and bought used. It is weird but it would be really awesome if used music gear would come with history who played on it, what, when.... Similar things I wondered about my car too hahahahha smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 17 2015, 05:18 PM
Your link and a few others give some pretty plausible explanations. Such as each symbol is the first letter of a Latin word in a prayer or poem, there could be some numbers thrown in there, etc.
Todd's - http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=20639
Other - http://history.stackexchange.com/questions...this-sword-mean
http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2015/08/ndxo...drghdxorvi.html
*There is a vast repository of artifacts/inscriptions/etc. from the medieval period (and of course earlier) that have unknown or disputed meaning/interpretation. Go to Europe. There's piles (literally) of the stuff in museums and churches. And a lot of it hasn't even been looked through yet.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 17 2015, 09:41 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 18 2015, 09:57 AM
Instructor
A sword thread and I wasn't notified?? Blasphemy laugh.gif

I was gonna say it makes me think that some guys were using text & internet speak back in the Latin days. So basically they were donning their swords with their equivalents of YOLO and LOL biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2015, 08:12 PM
My Bad!! I knew you'd find it though!! Spiff blade eh? I think we should get something like that carved on our guitar necks smile.gif But maybe not XOMGLOLX or such smile.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 18 2015, 04:57 AM) *
A sword thread and I wasn't notified?? Blasphemy laugh.gif

I was gonna say it makes me think that some guys were using text & internet speak back in the Latin days. So basically they were donning their swords with their equivalents of YOLO and LOL biggrin.gif

SOme pretty plausible explanations it seems smile.gif Nothing concrete though. Gotta love a good Sword mystery!

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 17 2015, 12:18 PM) *
Your link and a few others give some pretty plausible explanations. Such as each symbol is the first letter of a Latin word in a prayer or poem, there could be some numbers thrown in there, etc.
Todd's - http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=20639
Other - http://history.stackexchange.com/questions...this-sword-mean
http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2015/08/ndxo...drghdxorvi.html
*There is a vast repository of artifacts/inscriptions/etc. from the medieval period (and of course earlier) that have unknown or disputed meaning/interpretation. Go to Europe. There's piles (literally) of the stuff in museums and churches. And a lot of it hasn't even been looked through yet.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 19 2015, 06:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 18 2015, 07:12 PM) *
My Bad!! I knew you'd find it though!! Spiff blade eh? I think we should get something like that carved on our guitar necks smile.gif But maybe not XOMGLOLX or such smile.gif

Yeah.. only cool stuff like OMG and WTF! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Aug 23 2015, 09:35 PM
"If found, please return to the knights who say nee"

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:27 PM