> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Alternate Picking Workout #7, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

onetabmat
Oct 20 2018, 02:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #7 by Darius Wave

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 21 2018, 06:11 PM
GMC Founder
Nice!

You start this off well, a few general pointers for the first half:

* Sound is problematic, not only is it a turn off for the listener but from an insturctional perspective it can a littl ehard to hear how you are doing. Again this is related to how you record the guitar - your actual tone might be fine (though we can't tell from this video).

* Since this lesson is about preparing your picking chops for harder tasks, I would imitate Darius' right hand movement more closely- It appears to me he gets more movement from the wrist than you do.

* You look just a tad tensed in your left hand, see if you can think more consciously about relaxing it when practicing.

From 00:31 things start to sound more shaky and I cannot really tell exactly what is going on (again the audio recording makes it hard to give you specifics). This drags down your grade to a 5.

It shows you are putting serious work into this and I am looking forward to your coming takes. Keep it up!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 22 2018, 02:02 AM
GMC:er
Great to see you back in the game!!! Welcome back!!! smile.gif It looks like you are getting a very good handle on the Pedal Point Technique! This is a VERY crucial technique for playing anything with a NEO CLASSICAL vibe to it. Your Hand synch looks good and your pick strikes look clean!! I say "looks" good because I'm having trouble hearing it. It sounds like you are recording this on your cell phone or web cam maybe? For my QUICK LICKS and even BOOTCAMP stuff, that's fine, for REC TAKES, it's probably better to actually record as you would in a home studio situation where you record your guitar either using a recording interface, (they make them for cell phones which are very handy, like the ORANG OMEC which costs about $150.) that way we can hear what you are playing along with the backing. If you get an interface that works for your phone, you can also use it with your laptop/desktop even a tablet. Many options are available that work with all of the above. You can use the live record feature in youtube to record your videos so you don't need to do any video editing.

There are many ways to go about it depending on what gear you have and what you need. If you want some ideas on production, start a thread in the forum in the production section and we will be happy to provide help!! smile.gif

I can't tell if you are actually playing what I think you are playing on this one, so I can't really grade it very well. The quick way to fix it is to just turn up your guitar using whatever amp you are using so that we pick up more guitar sound via your cellphone/web cam etc.

Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Oct 20 2018, 09:51 AM) *

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2018, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

I think that Kris has already summarized all the elements that need attention here, starting with the mix/sound issue but also focusing on your right hand movement which definitely needs to be adjusted.

Work on those things and share a new take is some days to let us monitor your progress.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 24 2018, 04:52 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

First of all I have to agree on Kris note about the audio. It is slightly hard for us to judge some aspects like timing - we hear some kind of latency between your dry guitar tone and sound from your PC speakers.

Besides this it looks like you start quite well but when the first pattern ends, the second one brings much more trouble specially on teh string skipping moments. Try to spend a while and "load" a picking direction into your muscle memory. In the 1st run of second pattern it's clearly visible that's the picking direction that caused you to fail both - timing and hand sync(string skipping moments became a serious problem for a second)

Around 0:44 you need to remember that it should not sound like a slide at all. You need to delay the moment of finger position shift as long as possible. It should sound just like it would be played with different finger.

You have problems with long notes that ends the sections. You play them with sort of "shifted" timming - note exaclty quantized to beats, not the way as in original lesson.

In general the concepts of this lesson was to deliver a simple tool to focus more on muscles than on different notes to be played. I think using this lesson in your practise schedule is a good idea. It seems that a fter few times on each lick you warm up and start to fit the lick even better. That's a good sign.

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 26 2018, 12:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5.5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:09 PM