Finger Blocking ><
Christophe
Aug 3 2009, 02:05 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi guys

I've some troubles with my too big fingers mad.gif

When I put, for example, my index finger on the 3rd fret E string and my little finger on the 7th fret D string my little finger touches the G string and blocks the sound of this one ><. This is terrrrrribly annoying and I didn't find the solution mad.gif

Here's a picture in the attachment, please help me ohmy.gif

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
sigma7
Aug 3 2009, 03:17 AM
GMC:er
this is all about form. There is no magic solution to this one except take ur time and curve your fingers the way they are supposed to. You can try playing exercises that resemble ur problem and play them very slowly. Its quite a stretch so bend your wrist down low and curve ur fingers but not too much to where it is uncomfortable. Slowly play an arpeggio related to ur problem and make sure u can hear the sound from each string u want. Once u accomplish that, move it around. Increase the bpm on the 'nome. Etc. And getting frustrated is the worst thing u can do when playing the guitar. It cuts off ur proper breathing and puts too much stress on the wrist. So breath, relax, practice it slow, and you will achieve. Patience is a virtue my friend and sooner or later it will pay off. Please, do not hesitate to ask more questions if my answer is unclear. I am here to help smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 3 2009, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Yeah, you need do make more curve with your pinky
and get better angle in order not to mute any string bellow with it.
It takes some time, just practice and you'll fix that. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Christophe
Aug 4 2009, 01:59 PM
Ok I'll try getting a better angle with my hand

I'm gonna practice with pentatonics

thanks guys, c u.

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 10 2009, 01:00 PM
Hey.

I read this thread another day, but I did not have anything to comment.

Now I was watching some Steve Vai's video and , heck, he has reaaaaly long fingers.
So long fingers should be no problem at all wink.gif Just try to correct your position (maybe Steve vai can inspire you? )

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 10 2009, 03:50 PM
Instructor
That happens to all the guys at the beginning even with the simplest open chords, not to mention barre chords. Make a biger angle and press the string with the very top of your finger. It takes time but it's something everyone went through.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 11 2009, 11:20 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
With just a little more practice you will get your fingers to bend more and be able to adjust the position where you don't mute any unwanted strings. It really happens to everyone, so don't worry!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Christophe
Aug 17 2009, 10:56 AM
Ahah I don't feel alone now biggrin.gif

I have pretty long fingers too, but it seems that you guys have now "finger natural protection" (can't say that in english XD) and I am burning my fingers making slides and hammers very strongly.

I've get a better angle as you told me but that's hurt a lot I have "palm muscle difficulties" and I have to wait at least 5min to continue playing guitar ><

I know the word (always the same ^^), just practice so I'm gonna suffering now sad.gif

C u ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 17 2009, 11:01 AM
Lets go fishing!

Its GOOD to have big hands as a guitar player for sure biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Aug 18 2009, 04:59 PM
maybe you should experiment with your elbow position too...

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 18 2009, 05:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think it will also help if you if you position your thumb lower on the guitar neck:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Not the best of pictures, but I think that'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:06 AM