Any Hints For A Beginner, My first post
gianpatt
Aug 5 2015, 04:54 PM
GMC:er
Hi all,

my name is Gian and I'm Italian.

One month ago I found this web site and after 8 years I restarted to try to play guitar.
I always played the rhythmic parts without any knowledge of music theory.

Now, even if I'm near 40, I want to play better.
I want to ask to more expert players how is the better way to improve.

In the last 20 days I started to study the basic theory, manly, I dedicated many time to teach my brain to follow the correct tempo reading the music sheet.

Now I started to learn some solos that I have found in this site:

- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pop-Rock-Solo-Beginner/
- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-And-Roll-Riffs/
- https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...inger-work-out/

Maybe the question could seems stupid (and I apologize in advance for this) but to master the first solo (Pop-Rock-Solo-Beginner) at 50 bpm I had to repeat hundred and hundred times, is normal?! Or I really suck?

I hope to be able to REC my first video to show you my progress...
Thanks and compliments for your great site.

Bye
Gian

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Phil66
Aug 5 2015, 05:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Gian,

Welcome to GMC smile.gif The rock pop solo isn't as easy as it looks, it took me a long time to pass in the REC zone, you don't suck. Please post a video here so the instructors can give you tips or post in the REC zone if you want to be assessed.

If you stay here on GMC and take notice of the instructors YOU WILL IMPROVE smile.gif Instructors do mentor students so maybe that is the way for you to go once you have decided that you want to stay here.

Enjoy the journey

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 5 2015, 06:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Gian and welcome to GMC smile.gif

Your question is not stupid at all. The answer is: don't worry it's a normal thing and it happen to all of us wink.gif
You know, when you repeat hundred and hundred times the same thing, this mean that you have one of the most important skills for a student: patience. Don't think that is something wrong with you. It's just something wrong with the people which not do the same as you but they want to learn to play wink.gif
Sometimes I repeat the same bar a whole week, a lot hours/day until it will sound how I want. So, don't worry about it.

Enjoy your GMC journey and don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. See you around smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 5 2015, 09:13 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi Gian and nice to meet you! smile.gif

Great to hear you are practicing playing in time and that you are checking out the theory.
I'd like to share though that even though I feel theory is important, in the end it is just that - theory. So I don't think you should feel bad in any way just because you are not good with theory for example. Now, it is perfectly normal that you feel like you are missing a whole new world without it.

You have mentioned that you have experience with rhythm playing and that you are practicing your timing skills (playing in tempo, with the backing etc). That is a really good path. I'd personally focus more on that than theory at this stage as it can have a huge impact on your playing.

The solo you are practicing Pop Rock Solo is very cool sounding and even though it is labeled as beginner, it is quite tricky. There are lots of elements to it which can take a lot of repetition to get down. I don't see it as any problem if you need to repeat the lesson hundreds of times to learn it. We all do that at any level of playing, trust me!

I'll be looking forward to see your REC take on the lesson, please shot me a PM when you have it up.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2015, 09:03 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Welcome to GMC!

The secret of guitar playing is Diary Practice. The more you practice, focused on what you are doing, the faster and more important results you will note. When learning a lesson, we can find techniques that we've never mastered before and that we are not comfortable with.

My recommendation for the solo that you are working is to identify the parts that are giving more problem and work on them as a loop over the backing or a metronome, starting at slower tempos, and trying to note the reason why it's is giving problems.

You can create exercises based on this sections, or you can ask me for suggest some technique exercises that can help to master the issue.

Feel free to write me every time you need some feedback or help with your practice. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
gianpatt
Aug 7 2015, 08:14 AM
Thank you guys,

your messages are really appreciated and keep me motivated to reach the goals.

@Gabriel
Thank you Gabriel. Unfortunately it's hard to identify the reason why some parts are more difficult than others. The good news is that GP6 is a great instrument used with your tabs.

What do you mean exactly when you talk about "Diary Practice". I have to write down all what I've done every day?!

I've planned this path for the next two weeks:

- Master the Pop/Rock solo at 70 BPM and send a REC;
- Try to study the theory under this solo (the chord progression, the scale used, etc. etc.)

and than start with another solo.

I don't know if this is correct but basically I'd like to have a strength "background" of solos to play every day as workout.

Thank you guys
Bye
Gian

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2015, 08:33 AM
Hello Gian

Nice to hear your motivation is good. Regarding the REC zone, you have to submit the piece played at full speed, not slower than the lesson. If you want to post a slow version or smaller parts of the lesson you can do it in the practice room. Guidelines can be found HERE

Hope this helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 7 2015, 08:38 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
gianpatt
Aug 7 2015, 10:16 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 7 2015, 07:33 AM) *
Hello Gian

Nice to hear your motivation is good. Regarding the REC zone, you have to submit the piece played at full speed, not slower than the lesson. If you want to post a slow version or smaller parts of the lesson you can do it in the practice room. Guidelines can be found HERE

Hope this helps smile.gif

Hi Phil,

thank you for your help.
70 BPM is the full speed of Pop Rock Solo but I'm very happy to know that there is a section where I can upload REC at slow speed.
Now I have to fight with my shyness : rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Thanks
Gian

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 7 2015, 10:25 AM
QUOTE (gianpatt @ Aug 7 2015, 10:16 AM) *
Hi Phil,

thank you for your help.
70 BPM is the full speed of Pop Rock Solo but I'm very happy to know that there is a section where I can upload REC at slow speed.
Now I have to fight with my shyness : rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Thanks
Gian

Sorry, I didn't realise 70bpm was full speed rolleyes.gif
Try not to worry about shyness, I was very very very nervous about making a video for everyone to see but now I don't care, I have even recorded me singing notes for my old mentor, something I would never have done in my life before and I'm nearly 50. Once you've done it and discovered that you only get encouragement from the comments on here you will get less and less shy. No body will make a negative comment, only constructive criticism is given.
Enjoy the journey
Phil wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2015, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gianpatt @ Aug 7 2015, 04:14 AM) *
Thank you guys,

your messages are really appreciated and keep me motivated to reach the goals.

@Gabriel
Thank you Gabriel. Unfortunately it's hard to identify the reason why some parts are more difficult than others. The good news is that GP6 is a great instrument used with your tabs.

What do you mean exactly when you talk about "Diary Practice". I have to write down all what I've done every day?!

I've planned this path for the next two weeks:

- Master the Pop/Rock solo at 70 BPM and send a REC;
- Try to study the theory under this solo (the chord progression, the scale used, etc. etc.)

and than start with another solo.

I don't know if this is correct but basically I'd like to have a strength "background" of solos to play every day as workout.

Thank you guys
Bye
Gian

Hi mate, yes, sometimes it's a bit tricky to identify what's the reason why we cannot play a lick. But it's not difficult to identify the technique used. It can be alternate picking, bending, vibrato, or a combination of many of them. So you'll know that some exercises to master this techniques will help.

For example, if the lick includes a bend and you are not being able to play it smoothly and make it sound on pitch, you will surely find this exercise helpful:

About the diary routine. I mean, writing down your guitar goals, and design a guitar plan to achieve them. You can write down a practice plan with specific time for each topic that you want to work in order to achieve long and short term goals. Having it in a notepad helps to take notes about the progress and also to stay focused.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:10 PM