Pick Holding Lessons
JTaylor
Feb 6 2012, 11:42 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Is there any way several instructors could give a short pick-holding tutorial? I am very interested in seeing this. I have seen a few of the pictures but I would like to see a slow demo of it in action. I saw one that Paul Gilbert did on You Tube but I would like to see some on this site.Just a suggestion.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 6 2012, 03:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JTaylor @ Feb 6 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Is there any way several instructors could give a short pick-holding tutorial? I am very interested in seeing this. I have seen a few of the pictures but I would like to see a slow demo of it in action. I saw one that Paul Gilbert did on You Tube but I would like to see some on this site.Just a suggestion.

Hey Taylor! That's a good idea! We could do it! Could you please post the link to the PG lesson that helped you?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 6 2012, 04:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (berko @ Feb 15 2009, 11:03 PM) *
There's really no "right" or "wrong" way to hold a pick.

If you check this link you'll find some useful advice in vid 3 about holding the pick:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...teps-lets-play/

If your hands feel sore then that means you're holding the pick too firmly. Or maybe your hand is in a bad position. You should place the bottom edge of your palm somewhere near the bridge (over the stings) and try to lay your fore arm gently onto the guitar body. Your picking hand should be as relaxed as possible. If you feel it gets tensed up then relax again. It sounds weird but you should concentrate on relaxing your hand!

I found an old topic about pick holding, might help, but in any case, your suggestion is good,we will do something about wink.gif

check out part 3 !

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Feb 6 2012, 09:48 PM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 6 2012, 02:52 PM) *
Hey Taylor! That's a good idea! We could do it! Could you please post the link to the PG lesson that helped you?

Actually, it didn't really help laugh.gif I've tried the way you and Ben hold your picks (saw his pictures and your comment that yours is pretty much the same). That way helps but only if I angle my pick back the other way, towards my hand. I either hold it too far out and it gets hung up, or I hold it too far in and my knuckles hit the strings. Trying to find a happy medium. smile.gif

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 6 2012, 03:00 PM) *
I found an old topic about pick holding, might help, but in any case, your suggestion is good,we will do something about wink.gif

check out part 3 !

Thanks Sinisa! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 12:46 AM
Learning Tone Master
I'll keep an eye out for this, if we get a good thread/conversation going. I have a rather "weird" picking hand thumb injury that doesn't allow me to quite grip with the tip joint of my thumb, leaving me to grip it between my index finger and thumb joint (sometimes throwing in the tip of my picking hand middle finger as well as my index, to add strength). It's weird, and there probably is no "right answer" for my specific disability, but I would be interested to hear some feedback nonetheless. I would have to post a vid and pics to really demonstrate what I mean, and how I "Django" my way around it!! cool.gif

QUOTE (JTaylor @ Feb 6 2012, 12:48 PM) *
Actually, it didn't really help laugh.gif I've tried the way you and Ben hold your picks (saw his pictures and your comment that yours is pretty much the same). That way helps but only if I angle my pick back the other way, towards my hand. I either hold it too far out and it gets hung up, or I hold it too far in and my knuckles hit the strings. Trying to find a happy medium. smile.gif

Thanks Sinisa! smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2012, 09:29 AM
Instructor
Well, 'to each his own' I say - if you will notice, a lot of guitarists have different pick holding positions depending on their body posture and on the height of their strap smile.gif A healthy one would be Guthrie Govan's biggrin.gif it helps him in any pick implying technique and in the transition to other ones which are not picking based (slap/ tapping)

But he keeps his guitar pretty high, otherwise he would not be able to maintain that same position - when standing and sitting. The whole idea is to keep your pick in such a way, that you achieve the desired results and feel no strain on your hands. The angle of attack is also important as it comes up with various results!

I think there was a thread around which treated this matter quite extensively - will take a look and if I manage to find it, I shall post it here wink.gif

+Quote Post
Londinium
Feb 14 2012, 01:46 PM
GMC:er
I'm glad that there's no real "rule" for this. My natural pick holding is between the thumb and middle finger with the forefinger hugging the edge of the pick. I've attempted to do it the other (normal?) way and my fingers refuse to listen! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 14 2012, 05:03 PM
Instructor
I found this video

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:50 PM