Best Sub $500 Home Amp Setup
bmh1109
May 2 2007, 07:08 AM
GMC:er
Im in the process of upgrading my gear and im looking for a good amp under $500 that has great tone and some really good distortion at up to what I'd consider moderate volume. Primary use will be at home but I'd like the capacity to move to larger areas. Ive had my eye on the peavey valve king 112, does anyone have any experience with these? any suggestions are welcome Thanks in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lurgen
May 2 2007, 08:11 AM
No specific experience with the Peavey Valve King, but I'd definitely suggest the Roland Cube series for a small practice amp. I used one for a while just recently and was very impressed.

On the other hand, the Fender Frontman 25R that I have at home is pretty ordinary, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 2 2007, 10:34 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The Valveking is great value for the money.

You should check out Laney before you decide.

+Quote Post
bmh1109
May 3 2007, 12:58 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 2 2007, 05:34 AM) *
The Valveking is great value for the money.

You should check out Laney before you decide.

Thanks for the suggestion I checked out what they offer and had my eye on the Laney LC15R. Is there any particular model you had in mind.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
Rock
May 3 2007, 03:35 AM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ May 2 2007, 07:08 AM) *
Im in the process of upgrading my gear and im looking for a good amp under $500 that has great tone and some really good distortion at up to what I'd consider moderate volume. Primary use will be at home but I'd like the capacity to move to larger areas. Ive had my eye on the peavey valve king 112, does anyone have any experience with these? any suggestions are welcome Thanks in advance

I have the ValveKing VK112. It's a great tube amp for the money at around $400US and 50W is more than enough for me. After playing with it for a few months I replaced the 2 power amp tubes and 3 preamp tubes with JJ tubes from Eurotubes.com. They were really great to work with and very helpfule. I also replaced the stock Peavey speaker with a Weber Alnico Silver Bell. It was another $250 total for the tubes and speaker, but now this amp rocks out. So for a total of about $650, I now have a tube amp that sounds more like something you would have to pay $1500 plus for. My opinion, but I listened to quite a few amps and couldn't find one that sounded so good until I listened to the much more expensive tube amps and I have not had any issues with the amp being a combo. I have read that because the speaker and the tubes are in one enclosure you can sometimes get ringing, glass-breaking kind of sounds but I have not heard any from this amp. The cleans are amazingly clean and warm and the distortion is thick and full sounding now with even more headroom and responsive with the new speaker and tubes. I can't say enough about this amp, I love it.

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 3 2007, 12:45 PM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ May 3 2007, 01:58 AM) *
Thanks for the suggestion I checked out what they offer and had my eye on the Laney LC15R. Is there any particular model you had in mind.

Yes the LC15R was on my mind. Later on you could always add a 212 or a 412 to it. Or maybe the VC series? Or a 30Watter?

I'm looking at the GH50L for myself, but I already have a 412 to spare so it's a limited investment.

They got a new series, Lionheart, with a 5W amp I'm drooling all over... but it's like 900Euro so it's not even close to my budget.

EDIT: And if you get a Laney and later on update with a cabinet, be sure to get one with 12" Celestion Vintage 30's in it. There's a difference between sound and sound. The Peavey Valveking will sound good, a Laney LC15R will sound good too, if not great, while the same Laney plugged into a 412 with Vintage 30's in it will sound GODLIKE!
Man.. I gotta get that GH50 soon...!!!

This post has been edited by MickeM: May 3 2007, 01:02 PM

+Quote Post
bmh1109
May 3 2007, 06:09 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 3 2007, 07:45 AM) *
Yes the LC15R was on my mind. Later on you could always add a 212 or a 412 to it. Or maybe the VC series? Or a 30Watter?

I'm looking at the GH50L for myself, but I already have a 412 to spare so it's a limited investment.

They got a new series, Lionheart, with a 5W amp I'm drooling all over... but it's like 900Euro so it's not even close to my budget.

EDIT: And if you get a Laney and later on update with a cabinet, be sure to get one with 12" Celestion Vintage 30's in it. There's a difference between sound and sound. The Peavey Valveking will sound good, a Laney LC15R will sound good too, if not great, while the same Laney plugged into a 412 with Vintage 30's in it will sound GODLIKE!
Man.. I gotta get that GH50 soon...!!!

the LC15R is looking really good at the moment, I really appreciate the suggestion I hadn't ever really heard of them before. Ill update on here whenever i finally make up my mind and actually get one. thanks again

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 3 2007, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ May 3 2007, 07:09 PM) *
the LC15R is looking really good at the moment, I really appreciate the suggestion I hadn't ever really heard of them before. Ill update on here whenever i finally make up my mind and actually get one. thanks again

Yeah, what counts in the end is what YOU think and what sounds good to YOU. Good luck!

+Quote Post
bmh1109
May 4 2007, 01:47 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 3 2007, 02:41 PM) *
Yeah, what counts in the end is what YOU think and what sounds good to YOU. Good luck!

I went to the local Laney dealer today and checked out the LC30 because they didn't have an LC15 there. If the 30 is any indication of how the 15 sounds then I think Im sold. The LC30 sounded amazing so again thanks for suggesting Laney. It will most likely be my next purchase.

--------------------
Guitars
Amps

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:59 PM