Guitar Confusion - Setup
NoSkill
Apr 10 2009, 09:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Folks,

I've done some great reading here. I'm just getting back to playing after a long break and picked up my early 90's Jackson Slinky and played. I always liked playing it, as it was comfortable for me. About 5 years ago, I heard a friend play a Fernandes 7 string with sustainer pickups. I ended up buying one from mail order. (I know, I know,) but I live in a rural area with no access to it.

Well, by the time I got the Fernandes, I had stopped playing due to frustration, family, my kids, etc.

Here's where I get confused. I've always admired guitar players who seem like their fretting hand is barely grasping the neck. They look so soft in their left hand, just easy and almost effortless. One of my favorite guitar players is Rik Emmett and I just was amazed at how "soft," his left hand is.

Watching a friend of mine play, he has the same, VERY soft left hand. Effortless. My left hand feels like I'm trying to take a lug nut off my truck with a pair of pliers....

This afternoon, I took that Fernandes out of the case. After tuning the double locking Floyd to Eb, (about an hour **groan**) I started to play a lesson that I was working on...this guitar plays like butter. I find I'm hardly using any fret pressure and the notes and tone are better than I've ever heard out of my playing.

I have a "hard," left hand with all three of my American Strats and my Jackson...with this Fernandes, I'm holding the guitar like I think I should....

I can only tell you experts the symptoms, I have no idea what affects this. I play with #11 high E's in all the guitars and have them tuned standard or to Eb. The Fernandes just plays so beautifully...the others play like I'm in a bar fight.

I'm going to maybe make some video to demonstrate but would love to get into a dialog with things to compare.

Thank you very much.

Probably too confusing of a description now that I re-read this... rolleyes.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by NoSkill: Apr 11 2009, 12:52 AM

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:47 AM