2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Barre Chords
ChrisVdS
May 13 2009, 08:44 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

For weeks i have been struggling with Barre chords getting to sound good is not the problem but moving around on the neck is what i am having problems with can anyone give some advice to make this easier for me?

thx in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Startear
May 13 2009, 09:35 PM
Have you checked out Kris's lesson on barre chords? It can be really helpful smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
djohnneay
May 13 2009, 09:52 PM
I have had ALOT of trouble with those too.

What helped me the most, was to start on a comfertable position, like 7th-9th frets, and practice E and A shape barre chords. When that goes well, you can start doing them on other positions, like 10th-12th frets or 3rd-5th frets. Then it is just a matter of time before you advance to the first fret.

e---7------
B---7------
G---8------
D---9------
A---9------
E---7------

e---7----
B---8----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---7----

To make things more clear, see above tabs. First tab is B barre chord (in the shape of E), other is E barre chord (in the shape of A). You can leave out the 8th fret in the chord, making it minor, but it might be easier to play. For me, playing the 8th fret here actually helped me get more strenght out of my index finger barre.

This post has been edited by djohnneay: May 13 2009, 09:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
May 13 2009, 09:52 PM
the only tip there is is to just practice moving around the fingers. There is no magical technique for Barre Chords, besides placing the index finger comfortably on the frets

--------------------

+Quote Post
ErikEklund
May 13 2009, 09:57 PM
Practice the things that you find hard and after a while they will not be hard anymore smile.gif

+Quote Post
sted
May 13 2009, 09:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ChrisVdS @ May 13 2009, 08:44 PM) *
Hey guys,

For weeks i have been struggling with Barre chords getting to sound good is not the problem but moving around on the neck is what i am having problems with can anyone give some advice to make this easier for me?

thx in advance

Hey pal!

A lot of people struggle with barring chords, its mostly down to hand position I usually find, you say the sound is ok but its moving around thats the problem?
Could it be that you are gripping the neck a bit tight? Try to loosen up enough to barre the chord but not strangle the life out of your guitar, also check your thumb position, a lot of people use the thumb over the top method but this can make barring difficul, try placing your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck and press with the ends of your fingers, not the pads.
Once you can do both types of grip (They both have benefits in playing) you can switch easily between the two.

Check out the attached photos.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
-Zion-
May 13 2009, 10:11 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (djohnneay @ May 13 2009, 10:52 PM) *
e---7----
B---8----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---7----

To make things more clear, see above tabs. First tab is B barre chord (in the shape of E), other is E barre chord (in the shape of A). You can leave out the 8th fret in the chord, making it minor, but it might be easier to play. For me, playing the 8th fret here actually helped me get more strenght out of my index finger barre.

that one is a minor.. leaving out the 8th would give you a.. well.. something else.. wink.gif
you gotta change the 8 to a 9 to make it the E major chord in the A shape..

Oh, and loose the low E string.. like this.. smile.gif

e---7----
B---9----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---x----

edit: actually you dont have to mute the low E on this particular chord.. just dont fret it and it will add another E to the chord, but i guess it's just a matter of how you like the sound.. (mute on other A shaped chords tho)

This post has been edited by -Zion-: May 13 2009, 10:14 PM

+Quote Post
vampire18
May 14 2009, 12:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
try putting your index finger just a very little bit sideways so you get a bit of the strong bone on the side and not all flesh. and also try that non of your folding places in the finger(i have no idea how are they called in english) are not on one of the strings

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 14 2009, 12:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ May 13 2009, 10:59 PM) *
Hey pal!

A lot of people struggle with barring chords, its mostly down to hand position I usually find, you say the sound is ok but its moving around thats the problem?
Could it be that you are gripping the neck a bit tight? Try to loosen up enough to barre the chord but not strangle the life out of your guitar, also check your thumb position, a lot of people use the thumb over the top method but this can make barring difficul, try placing your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck and press with the ends of your fingers, not the pads.
Once you can do both types of grip (They both have benefits in playing) you can switch easily between the two.

Check out the attached photos.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Now this is what I call a nice barre grip man! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 14 2009, 07:41 AM
sted doing it Jimi style biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
May 14 2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks allot guys i'm sure it will go better with the advice you guys just gave me smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 14 2009, 08:05 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (ChrisVdS @ May 14 2009, 08:43 AM) *
Thanks allot guys i'm sure it will go better with the advice you guys just gave me smile.gif

a little add:
try to apply presure with your arm(by pulling back) instead of your thumb, else u'll tightn up

-Frederik

+Quote Post
djohnneay
May 14 2009, 04:07 PM
QUOTE (-Zion- @ May 13 2009, 11:11 PM) *
that one is a minor.. leaving out the 8th would give you a.. well.. something else.. ;)
you gotta change the 8 to a 9 to make it the E major chord in the A shape..

e---7----
B---9----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---x----

Seems I also learned something here today smile.gif

Mayby a bit offtopic question, but just to know I got it right this time :
E-shape minor :
e---7----
B---7----
G---8----
D---9----
A---9----
E---7----

E-shape major :
e---7----
B---7----
G---7----
D---9----
A---9----
E---7----

A-shape minor :
e---7----
B---8----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---x----

A-shape major :
e---7----
B---9----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---x----

As I understand, the above is correct, right ?

This post has been edited by djohnneay: May 14 2009, 04:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
May 14 2009, 07:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (djohnneay @ May 14 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Seems I also learned something here today smile.gif

Mayby a bit offtopic question, but just to know I got it right this time :
E-shape minor :
e---7----
B---7----
G---8----
D---9----
A---9----
E---7----

E-shape major :
e---7----
B---7----
G---7----
D---9----
A---9----
E---7----

A-shape minor :
e---7----
B---8----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---x----

A-shape major :
e---7----
B---9----
G---9----
D---9----
A---7----
E---x----

As I understand, the above is correct, right ?

Top to bottom:

B Major

B Minor

E Minor

E Major

Have a look at this site for figuring out chords and relevant positions mate, its really good!

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php...mm=&get=Get

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 14 2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor
Excellent pictures !
I never play chords with my thumb actually , maybe I should give it a go ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djohnneay
May 14 2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks sted and - Zion-,

I think I'll take a deeper look into chord constructions. The site really helps !

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
May 14 2009, 10:10 PM
Learning Roadie
you are very welcome mate...

we are here to help eachother.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 14 2009, 11:15 PM
Instructor
I always say that to play barre chords the main thing is not to put too much strenght but to find a really good balance of the finger and how you manage to put equal strenght to all the strings so you'll have all the notes ringing instead of some. Maybe you notice that sometimes the notes of the 4, 5, and 6th string ring amazingly but the 3, 2, 1st strings are not, or sometimes viceversa (and could be a rare case where the 1, 2, 5 and 6 strings ring perfectly and the 3 and 4 not). All that happend because of the bad equilibrium of the strenght and that's why I always recommend to put much more emphasys on the balance than the strenght itself.

I hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 16 2009, 01:39 AM
Jazz Instructor
I agree with Ramiro, the hey is in posture and balance, you want to save your energy...press hard enough for good sound.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 16 2009, 10:03 PM
Instructor
I agree with Ramiro and Vasilije !
It is essential to find good balance for right amount of pressure and for all the notes to come out clean. In the beginning it might take you a bit but after while you will be all set !

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:33 PM