3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Talent
azureus
Feb 28 2021, 01:37 PM
GMC:er

Who will believe that guitar has nothing to do with talent? sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 28 2021, 02:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
every few years this pops ups, that being said , IMO , If you don't practice, Talent can never be formed . Some might be gifted slightly more than others (but not much). If you listen to everyone's stories , they usually spent hours and hours of practice , did not go to parties. There is an age when people are younger where things tend to sink in easier, maybe when you get to an age where you stop believing you can do something

We somehow get stuck in guitar world and forget to look at everyone's' "talent" if you will. Artist's usually spent their whole life drawing, computer geeks spend their whole life's coding ( I code), plumbers spend their time plumbing.
This should be encouraging to show everyone if you want to play guitar well all you have to do is SPEND TIME WITH YOUR GUITAR, think of your guitar like your spouse ' why do you never spend quality time with me'

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Feb 28 2021, 02:23 PM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Feb 28 2021, 02:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I remember i listened to an interview one day i don't know anymore from who.
The guy said its not about how much talent you have. It is about what you want to give up for it!
That said i also believe the key is practice, learn and learn some more. 😁 I believe with everything. If you really want something you can achieve it (without fysical or mental illnes)

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 28 2021, 03:55 PM
"Talent" is the desire to do the hard work and find joy in the process.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 28 2021, 09:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Even the "gifted" ones have to put the time in, don't even think about young lads like Taj Farrant, that kind of people have something special going on in the relevant area of the brain and possible lack a lot in other areas of the brain. We all knew someone at school who had amazing football skills, could do the Rubiks cube in about a minute or had some other crazy skill that they seemed to just take to over night.

For us "normal" people, it takes how long it takes, as long as you're moving forward and enjoying it that's all that matters.

Enjoy your journey for there is no destination.

Wise Cosmin told me something once.

He said: "One day, an apprentice came to the fencing master and asked him - If I practice daily, how long will it take me to become REALLY good? The master said: 10 years. The apprentice asked again - what if I practice, 8 hours a day - the master said - 20 years. The apprentice was becoming desperate - what if I practice all day long?? The master said - a lifetime!

The conclusion is that the more you will practice, the more you will want - there's no stopping and no end game here and the better you become the better you will want to be.

We are all VERY different and what feels easy for someone might seem very difficult for someone else. Who am I to tell how long it takes for one to become proficient? It's all up to that person."

Peace.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 28 2021, 10:13 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2021, 12:38 AM
Some great responses! It's true. "Talent" is a tricky term. Innate ability at a given skill, for example music, can seem to run in families in some cases. E.G. A family of musicians, might have children who also become musicians. Not always of course, as with anything. Also, as was mentioned, being exposed to anything from a young age is always helpful. Also, growing up around music certainly doesn't hurt. Similarly a desire to play an instrument can be the spark the helps one find their "talent". The good news is that pretty much anyone can learn to play an instrument. It's really just a matter of time.

It's true that starting early can help. That's true with anything though. Growing up around music and with musical parents can also help. Being born with a sense of drive and determination is also handy. All things being equal, no two players are entirely equal in all things and so it can be tough to determine which one has more or less "talent". However, in the end it does come down to the player. Anyone can be a killer player. If one is willing to put in the effort and time. Once a player has reached that level of ability where even non players can tell "wow he's good", then you've achieved something amazing. Something not everyone will get to. Most won't. Most will quit along the way.

It can't be bought, it can't really be faked, it can't be inherited. It has to be earned. Once you earn it, it's yours forever and it makes life flat out better imho smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (tflava @ Feb 28 2021, 09:49 AM) *
I remember i listened to an interview one day i don't know anymore from who.
The guy said its not about how much talent you have. It is about what you want to give up for it!
That said i also believe the key is practice, learn and learn some more. 😁 I believe with everything. If you really want something you can achieve it (without fysical or mental illnes)

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 1 2021, 10:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
I believe that we are all born with some aptitudes which let us learn particular things much faster than other people. But that's all...nobody can be "talented" without to dedicate a bunch of time and hard work.
It's surprising but sometimes "less talented" people who really wants to become good players/musicians understand better the concept of discipline.

I don't want to be mean but from my point of view the word "talent" it has truly lost it real meaning and it's more used as an excuse. It's a huge difference between "I would like to do" and "I'm actually doing it".
I'm pretty sure that people who has a strong determination to achieve their goals, not even care if someone was born "talented" or not. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 1 2021, 11:55 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Mar 1 2021, 10:35 AM) *
I believe that we are all born with some aptitudes which let us learn particular things much faster than other people.

I don't believe this - unless we are speaking about certain physical traits that might help your athletic performance (nothing to do with music in other words).

I do however believe we are born with specific parents and environment - which might teach you the ideas discussed in this thread...or the exact opposite.

If you are taught at a young age that your can learn to be whatever you want, well guess what...you will be able to learn whatever you want.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2021, 12:01 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 1 2021, 10:55 AM) *
If you are taught at a young age that your can learn to be whatever you want, well guess what...you will be able to learn whatever you want.

The opposite can also hold true, if you are constantly told that you are useless and will never be any good at anything, it can take years of nurture to gain self belief. I can be a HUGE mental hurdle to overcome.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 1 2021, 12:12 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 1 2021, 12:01 PM) *
The opposite can also hold true, if you are constantly told that you are useless and will never be any good at anything, it can take years of nurture to gain self belief. I can be a HUGE mental hurdle to overcome.

Exactly. That is why people often opt for the easy explanation - ie "I simply don't have any natural talent" - whereas there is in fact a more likely (but also more complexe) explanation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 1 2021, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the honest responses to my question ... but I still have a different opinion after 35 years ... but I'm not going to tell and I don't want to kick anyone in the shins hey ... I want to stay friendly ... but I already think that whoever answers is talented ... whether you realize it or not! happy.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2021, 01:14 PM
QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 1 2021, 11:57 AM) *
Thanks for the honest responses to my question ... but I still have a different opinion after 35 years ... but I'm not going to tell and I don't want to kick anyone in the shins hey ... I want to stay friendly ... but I already think that whoever answers is talented ... whether you realize it or not! happy.gif wink.gif

Buddy you are fully entitled to give your opinion as long as it's put across constructively. We like a good debate here as long as it doesn't start getting into personal attacks so come on, please give your opinion cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 1 2021, 03:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 1 2021, 07:55 AM) *
I don't believe this - unless we are speaking about certain physical traits that might help your athletic performance (nothing to do with music in other words).

I do however believe we are born with specific parents and environment - which might teach you the ideas discussed in this thread...or the exact opposite.

I can't agree more with this. The first years for children are essential for the rest of their lives.

QUOTE (azureus @ Feb 28 2021, 09:37 AM) *
Who will believe that guitar has nothing to do with talent? sad.gif

What do you exactly mean by "guitar"?

Playing the guitar? For me it's all about fun. I love playing it, it gives me peace, it makes me happy.

Playing the guitar well? It's all about practice, and having a good mentor can help a lot!

Regarding talent, I think that each of us has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Knowing the reality and focusing on our strengths will help us to become the best you that you can be.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2021, 03:23 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 1 2021, 02:19 PM) *
I can't agree more with this. The first years for children are essential for the rest of their lives.

1000000%, I am testimony to the negative side of this effect, I'm only just breaking out of it now at the grand old age of 55 and it's all thanks to GMC.

Peace people.

smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 1 2021, 03:24 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 1 2021, 05:23 PM
Playing the guitar well? It's all about practice, and having a good mentor can help a lot!

This is what I have a hard time with! When I started 36 years ago I had to put my fingers on it for weeks and weeks with the help of my other hand! .. as for vibrato I could not rotate with that hand! .. I really have years .. hours and hours tried .. no result until I finally came up with an exercise with a book and I can only now doing it after 35y l !!! .. also for picking ..day and night on and next to guitar .. seam of my pants !! always that movement 36y and it is not yet pfff ... so practice ... it brought me nothing! ... actually I am deeply disappointed because somehow I still believed in it but it doesn't work! .... it's my experience !! .. after 36y Hichwaystar from deep purple! that's all .... sad!...so i think no talent for it ..no other statement for it !....sorry guys sad.gif

This post has been edited by azureus: Mar 1 2021, 05:25 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 1 2021, 06:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (azureus @ Mar 1 2021, 01:23 PM) *

This is what I have a hard time with! When I started 36 years ago I had to put my fingers on it for weeks and weeks with the help of my other hand! .. as for vibrato I could not rotate with that hand! .. I really have years .. hours and hours tried .. no result until I finally came up with an exercise with a book and I can only now doing it after 35y l !!! .. also for picking ..day and night on and next to guitar .. seam of my pants !! always that movement 36y and it is not yet pfff ... so practice ... it brought me nothing! ... actually I am deeply disappointed because somehow I still believed in it but it doesn't work! .... it's my experience !! .. after 36y Hichwaystar from deep purple! that's all .... sad!...so i think no talent for it ..no other statement for it !....sorry guys sad.gif

Having a mentor who guides you can minimize time a lot. I remember how much I improved when I started to study with guitar teachers. I could find things by my own by researching books and videos but sometimes a quick comment by a mentor can makes us save a lot of time and avoid getting used to bad habits.

And let me tell you... you are at the right place now. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2021, 06:07 PM
How much time you've spent practising isn't the main thing really, that time is useless if it isn't effective, focused practise.

Why don't you ask Gab to be your mentor, having a fresh start with a good mentor like Gab pointing you in the right direction could be just what you need.

I also recommend Todd's Shred Bootcamp, don't be put off by the word "shred", it's more about precision and will help your finger independence, hand sync and lots of other things.

Enjoy the journey buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Timmez
Mar 1 2021, 07:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I agree with Phill.
Before i didnt practice structured.
The last year i focussed on theory and it helps too understand things.
However the last 5 months i started to work with a structured practice routine and it really works.
I do de shred bootcamp with tod and the mentoring of the legato, lessons, improv etc with Gab.
Because of the structured practice routine i learned now in 5 months what i before learned in 2 years when i only learned songs.
So i advice you to work with Gab 😁

+Quote Post
azureus
Mar 1 2021, 08:07 PM
QUOTE (tflava @ Mar 1 2021, 07:34 PM) *
I agree with Phill.
Before i didnt practice structured.
The last year i focussed on theory and it helps too understand things.
However the last 5 months i started to work with a structured practice routine and it really works.
I do de shred bootcamp with tod and the mentoring of the legato, lessons, improv etc with Gab.
Because of the structured practice routine i learned now in 5 months what i before learned in 2 years when i only learned songs.
So i advice you to work with Gab 😁

Hay Tflava ik zie dat je van Holland bent...ik ben van Belgie zo kunnen we even int vlaams ha ha ...mijn engels is met een vertaler !
Ik denk dat men mij hier niet zo goed verstaat ! wat ik bedoel is sommige handelingen op de guitaar die zijn voor sommigen heel snel geleerd en gedaan dat noem ik de getalenteerde !..bij anderen zoals ik kost het jaren en dan nog !...moet ik speciale oefeningen zoeken en bedenken om het toch maar te klaren !..voor sterke en snelle vingers heb ik zowat alle voorgestelde oefeningen gedaan ook legato etc maar ze werden er niet beter van !...zo heb ik bijgevoegde oefening moeten uitvinden en toen is het pas verbetert ! en dat heb ik met vibrato en picking !!..dus ik denk dat er maar heel weinig zoiets moeten doen !...dan is mijn opinie dat er wel echt een bepaald talent nodig is om dit snel te leren zonder mijn vreemde ofeningen !...groetjes ![attachment=51548:Capture_20210224_2.wmv]

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 1 2021, 09:04 PM
Translation:

Hay Tflava I see that you are from Holland ... I am from Belgium so we can int Flemish ha ha ... my english is with a translator!
I don't think people understand me very well here! what I mean is some actions on the guitar that for some are learned very quickly and done that I call the talented! .. with others like me it takes years and even then! ... I have to look for special exercises and think about it anyway but to be done! .. for strong and fast fingers I have done almost all the suggested exercises, also legato etc but they were not getting any better! ... so I had to invent the attached exercise and then it improved! and I have that with vibrato and picking !! .. so I think very little should do such a thing! ... then my opinion is that you really need a certain talent to learn this quickly without my strange exercises! ...Greetings

I still think someone like Gab can help you if you just let him see some videos of you trying to play the exercises. Give it a go cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:50 AM