Getting A Degree In Guitar. Worth It?
SpiritCrusher
Jun 14 2019, 03:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello everyone.

I've been admitted to a music school in Berlin called BIMM where I'll be able to take a degree in guitar, which takes three years and costs €7450 pr. year. I'm in a pretty big dilemma if I should go with it as I'm not sure if it's the right path to take. I love the guitar and I'll probably continue playing it for the rest of my life, however, I'm not so sure if I should take a degree in it, especially when I don't play a wide array of genres but only stick to a few that I like the most(mostly the neoclassical metal genre). While the thought of becoming a professional guitarist and making a living from it, whether it's teaching, performing etc., seems very appealing, I'm not so sure if this day and age is the right time to make it as a guitarist anymore. Let's face it, there are lots of great guitar players everywhere these days who would love to make a living from it, and secondly most aspiring guitar players learn from the internet, like us at GMC for instance. And thirdly, the music industry today rarely includes guitars like it did before and if they do, it's mostly very simple chord bashing, which many guitarists can come up with.

What draws me most to attending BIMM is to establish a connection of musicians that I'll be playing with for that time and maybe come up with some projects with them, which I am unable to do atm. because I live in a smaller city. And the thought of simply making friends with and surrounding myself with like-minded people is something that I'd really like to do. And also to get the chance to improve and polish my guitar skills. I'll be turning 21 in two months, and if I start now and finish the degree, I'll be 24 at that time. All in all, I think it would be a great experience in itself, however, the price of it seems most frightening to me. I could get a degree and have a great time doing it and then end up with a huge debt that I might be unable to pay back from the degree itself, but having to end up as a factory worker or something like that to pay back my debt.

What do you guys think? Is the time over to becoming a professional guitarist and making a living from it? And do you think it would be a wise of me to attend BIMM, or should I consider other possible paths in life?
I'd appreciate all suggestions, thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:32 AM