Nut Problems
BrainSmash
Oct 13 2008, 10:45 PM
GMC:er
hey everyone, i seem to have a problem when bending on the b-string. Every time i bend around to 3rd to 7th fret i almost always knock my G-string out of the nut. Can some one help, it would be very appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 13 2008, 10:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
hmm , you should "grind" the slot for G string a little bit deeper..I guess that should do the job..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 13 2008, 10:54 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (BrainSmash @ Oct 13 2008, 11:45 PM) *
i almost always knock my G-string out of the nut.

biggrin.gif Hmmm, nut problem when bending, G-string. Sorry mate, I don't have the right experience. laugh.gif

And more serious, I think Bogdan solved it. Check also that the slot in the nut isn't too wide, it should still stay firm around the string.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 13 2008, 11:40 PM
Instructor
Bogdan said exactly what I would say. It also happens if your strings are thicker than it is recomended for your guitar so the string doesn't fit well into the nut's hole (cut).

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 14 2008, 01:55 AM
Instructor
Grinding can work, but it can be risky tho, G string can start to buzz if you lower it down, and then you need nut replacement. SO be careful with that grinding, I wouldn't recommend that you do the grinding yourself, take it to some luthier let him determine if you need nut replaced or just grinded off.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
Oct 14 2008, 03:56 AM
QUOTE (BrainSmash @ Oct 13 2008, 10:45 PM) *
hey everyone, i seem to have a problem when bending on the b-string. Every time i bend around to 3rd to 7th fret i almost always knock my G-string out of the nut. Can some one help, it would be very appreciated.

What kind of guitar? Strats used to use string trees before the days of tilted headstocks. You should be able to solve the problem with one of those. If the string height is even on all six strings, I wouldn't cut a deeper notch in the G string slot. If your nut is worn out, you just might need to replace that. Hope this helps...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 14 2008, 04:40 AM
You can get a good set of nut files for about $50 on Ebay (I have one). They will pay for themselves in one use.
Having proper tools is key to any do it yourself job. Pretty hard to cut a nut without proper nut files.

If you cut it too low, you can just fill the slot. Here is a discussion on that

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech/97175...nut-repair.html

Fix it yourself, and then you know it is done right. 90% of what "Professional" means is they have the right tools and *probably* know how to use them. Just read on internet on how to cut a nut.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 14 2008, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't mess with your nuts yourself, you're best letting somebody else see to them. biggrin.gif I couldn't resist either.

What guitar do you have? I had a Japanese Fender Jaguar that did this all the time. I grinded the nut a bit more and it was solved. smile.gif Also you may be using too thick a string like Emir mentioned.

Does the G string get twisted with the nut biggrin.gif I best stop smile.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Oct 14 2008, 10:21 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Oct 14 2008, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 13 2008, 11:54 PM) *
biggrin.gif Hmmm, nut problem when bending, G-string. Sorry mate, I don't have the right experience. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 14 2008, 03:41 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (MickeM @ Oct 13 2008, 11:54 PM) *

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 14 2008, 11:20 AM) *
I wouldn't mess with your nuts yourself, you're best letting somebody else see to them. biggrin.gif I couldn't resist either.
Does the G string get twisted with the nut biggrin.gif I best stop smile.gif

I'm watching you guys! ...hey wait a minute.. huh.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:36 AM