2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar Makes A Horrible Sound At Picking A Note
Constie
Nov 3 2007, 10:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi there. smile.gif

As the german forums aren't very helpful (and neither friendly) I'm gonna ask YOU for some advice.
So here's my problem: Everytime I pick a note there is a awful "clack" that's coming out of my amplifier.
I'm sure it isn't the amplifier itself, because I tested it with a "Line 6 Spider" and a "Mesa Rectifier".
And it's not the cable, I also tested two ones biggrin.gif

So it has to be created by the guitar, it's a schecter c-1 elite. I made a soundsample, but please be easy- I recorded it after a long day and without warmup blink.gif (shoudn't have said this in Kris' forum biggrin.gif )

So here it is: Attached File  schecter.mp3 ( 874.31K ) Number of downloads: 256

What can I do? I really need you help! I've already tried it with very less gain, thin picks and soft picking. I always get the same result.
The only thing that helps a little is to set the Volume at the guitar to it's minimum. But I have to set it at approx 1/12 blink.gif Then it's the same as playing in clean-channel, where there is almost no "clack", so this is no solution.

Please try to help me! Thanks a lot cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Understudy
Nov 3 2007, 11:10 PM
I listened to your clip and I cannot hear it all the time, it sounds like really heavy attack. Try to lower the pickup to maybe reduce the amount of attack ?? Maybe some of our gear guru's have a better idea smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 3 2007, 11:23 PM
QUOTE (Understudy @ Nov 3 2007, 11:10 PM) *
I listened to your clip and I cannot hear it all the time, it sounds like really heavy attack. Try to lower the pickup to maybe reduce the amount of attack ?? Maybe some of our gear guru's have a better idea smile.gif

Thanks you're right: it's not there all the time. If you play fast enough it gets drowned.
Lowering the pickups seems a good idea to me. I already thought about this, but I'm gonna wait for what the others say because I don't want to change something if it's not necessary wink.gif

btw: your joining date is kind of strange tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dogman
Nov 3 2007, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (Understudy @ Nov 3 2007, 06:10 PM) *

Hmm,
I gotta go with Understudy on this one. It sounds like you have a heavy pick or picking a little too close to the bridge too

Just my 2 cents wink.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 3 2007, 11:34 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Also try changing how you hold the plectrum in relation to the strings. If you're not already doing so hold it so that the tip is at a slight angle, rather then parallel, to the strings.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 4 2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the tips.
If I play a note on one of the upper three strings, it hurts my ear very much. (This is attack, right?)
It's incredible and I think that's the problem to solve. But the pickups aren't very close to the strings, that's strange.

This post has been edited by Constie: Nov 4 2007, 12:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 4 2007, 12:48 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Constie @ Nov 4 2007, 12:44 AM) *
Thanks for the tips. Now I guess the pickups are way to high.
If I play a note on one of the upper three strings, it hurts my ear very much.
It is incredible and I think that is where the problem can be found.

I think that's a good idea. Lower the pu's.

Maybe they react now to the actual picking and the voltage peaks before it picks up the string vibration and generate a conciderably lower output.

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 4 2007, 12:51 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 4 2007, 12:48 AM) *
I think that's a good idea. Lower the pu's.

Maybe they react now to the actual picking and the voltage peaks before it picks up the string vibration and generate a conciderably lower output.

Ah damn you were too quick biggrin.gif
I changed my opinion as I saw that they are not very close. But I will do it anyway

This post has been edited by Constie: Nov 4 2007, 12:51 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 4 2007, 12:55 AM
Hmm... do you happen to have the treble very high, or maybe a compressor on? I've had similar problems with both of these before. But I don't really know much about the electronics...

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 4 2007, 01:20 AM
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Nov 4 2007, 12:55 AM) *
Hmm... do you happen to have the treble very high, or maybe a compressor on? I've had similar problems with both of these before. But I don't really know much about the electronics...

Oh you also own a schecter smile.gif
I don't have a compressor it's definitely not the amp, because it's the same problem on my tiny "Spider 2"
Unfortunately I don't have a second guitar to ensure the problem is caused by the schecter, but I'm quite sure it is so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Understudy
Nov 4 2007, 08:16 AM
Just curious to know if you found a solution to your "attack" problem. Let us know what you discovered.

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 7 2007, 04:48 AM
What kind of pick are you using? I had the same problem on my Gryphon (basically a watered down version of a C1 w/ a bolt on neck rather than set). I switched my picks and the problem is gone, but with the pick I also had to change my attack, since I switched to a Jazz III which is tiny.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 8 2007, 04:57 AM
I use my medium Fender and a Dunlop .88mm. I guess the pick ups are the problem so I'm going to give the guitar to someone who locates the problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 11 2007, 09:12 PM
Oh no!
Yesterday I used a 10years old Ibanez and got the same result.
I don't know what to do now, to fix this.
It's not the guitar neither the amplifier blink.gif

I let my brother play and it was the same for him- mad.gif sad.gif dry.gif So it's not my fault.

I really don't know what to do now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 11 2007, 09:22 PM
Instructor
I can't hear it from the sample...
Might be fret buzz but still can't hear it...
Do you have same issue on clean sound as well?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 11 2007, 09:56 PM
Instructor
I think i know what you refer to - in my opinion thats normal. You can't avoid the moment when the pick strikes the string and the slight noise of the pick+string contact will always be heard.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 11 2007, 11:11 PM
That might be, but it feels way too loud to me.
On Clean it is not that loud and it's not annnoying me.

But just compare it with a lesson or a record. This one is destroying the whole melody.
Or maybe I'm the only one, who think this is disturbing?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Nov 12 2007, 01:15 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ACH5Z_YPmVg

Check this out..

Some info helped me with reducing my pick noise.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Francisca
Nov 14 2007, 11:59 PM
To me it sounds you're using a pick that's too hard. Maybe try it with a softer pick, this will reduce the initial "peak" when hitting a string ..

The fact that your other guitar suddenly has the same problem I can't think of anything else than blame the pick

+Quote Post
Constie
Nov 15 2007, 02:16 AM
Thank you all, I'm gonna work on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:14 PM